It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Prozac and insomnia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2006, 04:19 AM   #1
    tiredtom
    (male)

tiredtom HB User
    Prozac and insomnia

Hi everyone, I began taking Prozac for my depression last Thursday. Prior to starting the medication, I was sleeping about 8 hrs. a night consistently, but since starting the med I haven't slept for more than 6.5 hours any night since. I don't have any trouble falling asleep, but then I'll wake up at 4 or 5 in the morning with a big appetite and what feels like a caffeine buzz. Then yesterday and right now I have that "tired but wired" feeling. I know that if I quit the meds now I'd crash for about 12 hours, but I don't want to do that. I would just like to know if this is a temporary side effect while adjusting to Prozac or if it's something that will last during the whole treatment period. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
    Re: Prozac and insomnia

Do you take it in the morning or at night? I take mine in the morning to prevent insomnia at night. I think at one point I had the early waking stuff, but that stopped eventually after a few months. I'm on 40 mgs, by the way. Also, you mentioned a 'caffeine buzz', do you drink coffee or other caffeinated drinks? I've found that I can't have caffeine on Prozac. It makes me too bouncy However, before Prozac, I had no problem drinking it. Also, I find now that if I have caffeine (even chocolate sometimes) that when I 'crash' I end up in a horrible depressive 'funk' and it's just not worth it.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
    cathydownunder
    (female)

cathydownunder HB User

I can't comment on Prozac but I've had the same insomnia problem on Effexor.
    Even though I'm on the lowest dose and take it in the morning I still can't go to sleep and wake 4-5 times per night, and I wake up most mornings with a pressure-like headache.I've been on it once before and had the same problem so I guess it's not for me! Seeing all antidepressants are basically the same in my opinion you might be one of the unfortunate ones that gets insomnia.
    Try and stick it a bit longer and definitely take it in the morning.
    Personally, I'm weaning off mine and switching to a herbal alternative with Valium on standby for any breakthrough anxiety I get.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
    tiredtom
    (male)

tiredtom HB User

Thanks for the responses. I take the prozac first thing in the morning (20mg), and I consume absolutely no caffeine. Last night, I finally slept 8 hrs., but for some reason my mood's worse today because of it. Yesterday morning, I woke up about 4:30 and I was buzzing till about 8:30, then I crashed and stayed down for the rest of the day. I guess I'll just have to ride this out for a while and see where it takes me.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
    msbibe
    Veteran
    (female)

msbibe HB User

Prozac, well, many of the SSRIs have that initial insomnia effect. Often enough docs will also prescribe a short bit of antianxiety medication to get past the initial side effects, including that wired feeling one. You're probably close to getting past the side effects. I'm not sure about the hunger one. I think Prozac may be one that makes some people crave food. See how it all goes for you though. Each person is different in how they respond.

Closed Thread