It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Trying(and failing miserably) to quit cymbalta.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-18-2006, 06:40 AM   #1
    BPharaoh
    (male)

BPharaoh HB User
    Trying(and failing miserably) to quit cymbalta.

Ok, I'll try to make this as brief as possible. I used to be extremely depressed, and it got extremely bad around 2004-2005. During spring 2005, I decided to kill myself; it seemed like the most responsible and pragmatic thing to do at the time. In august of that year, I attempted to commit suicide by taking a great deal of tylenol (I had done research looking for the best method, and found that tylenol cuases fatal liver damage when one overdoses) Well, the wonderful doctors "saved" me and promptly hospitalized me where i got to spend time with people who were literally retarded(slurred speach, cognitive impairment etc.) that was not very theraputic actually. They put me on 60 MG cymbalta as well as zyprexa.

Things improved, and i was released. well, one day i decided to quit zyprexa(it messed with my circadian rhythm so much that i couldnt deal with it and my classload) that was this spring. i simply stopped taking it cold turkey, and though i experienced side effects, i was able to tolerate them until they ceased. this summer, i tried to emancipate myself from cymbalta as well, but when i tried to go off of it cold turkey, i experienced horrible nasea as well as painful "brain zaps" which did not cease. i was forced to start taking the poison again. i consulted my physiciatrist about tapering, she fought me tooth and nail. the best i got was lowering from the 60 to the 30mg(there was surprising no withdrawl symtoms from this drop in dosage)

Well, i tried after being on the 30Mg for a while to go cold turkey off that(since obviously this quack psyciatrist of mine isnt going to help) and the horrible withdrawl symtoms returned. i really feel like i am up a creek now, the only lower dosage of cymbalta is 20mg, and i doubt that tapering down to that and then going cold turkey off that will really be any better. i am really afraid of being on this for life. i dont want to be on drugs forever. what can i do? my doctor wont help me, and even if she did it would just be putting me on the 20mg dosage which wouldnt ultimately help. i just run into this patronizing brick wall where my family and my psychiatrist all think they know what is good for me(as if i don't). help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
    WanderingSoul
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WanderingSoul HB User
    Re: Trying(and failing miserably) to quit cymbalta.

I've never taken Cymbalta, so I wouldn't know, but can you cut the pills in half? You could cut the 20 mg pills in half to 10 mg, and take that daily for a week. And then cut the 20mg pills into fourths, so you'd be taking 5 mg per day. And if you still wanted to be on the safe side, you could then go for a week or so taking a 5mg pill every other day.
    I'm not s doctor, so I would'nt know if this is the best idea. But assuming the pills can be cut in half, that is what I'd probably do.
    By the way.. if you really think your psychiatrist is a quack, would you consider finding a new one?
    Good luck.. And welcome to the boards!

Old 09-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
    BPharaoh
    (male)

BPharaoh HB User
    Re: Trying(and failing miserably) to quit cymbalta.

The thing is, they are capules, filled with little granules of the drug. i guess i could try pouring some out, but i wouldnt know exactly how much i was taking. i cannot find another psychiatrist becuase the insurance i have only covers this one, unfortunately. thanks for the advice though

Closed Thread