It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Are anti-depressants dangerous or safe?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2006, 12:19 AM   #1
    hoosier_guy
    (male)

hoosier_guy HB User
    Are anti-depressants dangerous or safe?

Are anti-depressants dangerous or safe?

Are any of them known for being more safe or dangerous?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
    squeakytoy
    (female)

squeakytoy HB User
    Re: Are anti-depressants dangerous or safe?

frankly, we don't know. The earlier antidepressants, like the MAOI's aren't safe because there are too many contraindicated substances and there isn't any evidence that the tricyclics are dangerous, but many of the SSRI's haven't been prescribed long enough for us to know if there is any damage associated with long-term treatment. I know I fear that taking the really new ones I'll find out in a couple years that they cause cancer and that'll be too late. We know they are safe in the short run, while we're taking them for a year or two. they aren't easy to overdose on, etc. but with all these new chemicals and the pressure drug companies have to produce money-makers I often ask myself the same question

Old 09-21-2006, 05:33 AM   #3
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

i am medication sensitive so my pcp and i have agreed to stick to older meds since there isn't enough known about the new ones. plus i have taken every SSRI on the market and they all made me worse. hyper, insomnia, agitation. my husband took elavil for 3 years for PM. 75 mg. he ended up with RLS but within months of stopping it and taking a klonopin every night he is back to sleeping good and the R has not come back . i also took 25 ms. for 2 years for PM . slept like a baby and had no side effects except about 15 ponds in weight gain that i lost within a month of stopping it. hope this helps.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
    Alex6657
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Alex6657 HB User

There is always some margin of risk with any medication, not just antidepressants. A lot of times in commercials you'll hear them say "don't take this medication if you have certain kidney or liver problems,...." etc. When a medication is found to be unsafe (like Serzone/Nefazadone and Vioxx) it is removed from the market immediately.

As for how well a medication works everyone is different so not everyone will react the same way to a medication.

For me, taking antidepressants is safer than not taking them.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
    Seymour93
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Seymour93 HB User

All prescription drugs carry a degree of risk. With major depression the choice seems easy. Personally, I would not use an antidepressant for mild depression.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

This topic always seems to come up every couple of months. A poster above said it best "taking antidepressants is safer than not taking them". Any chemical that effects the brain is going to have some risk too it. The main risk that we know of is Paxil and Effexor is addictive to most people. Who knows what other dangers are lurching only time will tell

trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 10-23-2006, 09:47 PM   #7
    WanderingSoul
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WanderingSoul HB User

Yeah.. it freaks me out.. Especially now being on 3 different ones, all of which are pretty new (Lexapro, Wellbutrin, and Lamictal). At this point I feel I can't stop them though... Just have to hope they don't rot our brains (or liver, or kidneys) away... !!

Closed Thread