It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

emotional numbness...please help

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
threethings
(female)

threethings HB User
emotional numbness...please help

i need some general advice. not sure if this is the right forum but....

i had a very hurtful relationship about 7 years ago. since then i feel that i cannot become attached to another person. mostly with boyfriends of course. when i date (and i've dated quite a bit in the 7 years), i feel like i am numb...cannot become attracted to the person....cannot connect emotionally... etc. i feel that i'm not as supportive as i'd like to be..intimate.. etc. what i usually end up doing is picking apart the guy i'm with and i eventually "run" in the other direction. i haven't had a truly serious relationship in 7 years. i don't feel that i know how to love anymore and it's very sad to me. the rest of my life is fine. i still find joy in many aspects of my life (work, traveling, friends, hobbies, etc etc). i just feel like i am no longer dating material and i don't know how to reverse this behavior. i've seen a psychologist and i will be making an appt to go back but i was looking for some advice or maybe even some OTC herbs that could help me reverse this ridiculous behavior / thought process. thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
trg247
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: emotional numbness...please help

In my opinion it sounds like you need counseling more than a medicine fix.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 10-09-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
threethings
(female)

threethings HB User

thanks for the advice. i do plan on going back to the psychologist. i just hope this is "fixable" because i'm beginning to feel like i might be like this forever.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:51 PM   #4
jackiespenser
(female)

jackiespenser HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethings
thanks for the advice. i do plan on going back to the psychologist. i just hope this is "fixable" because i'm beginning to feel like i might be like this forever.
Just wanted to wish you good luck with this. You are "fixable", I promise, you are. I'm fighting numbness and can't connect with others too. I'm in a fog and it isn't fun.

Good luck again.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:15 AM   #5
dead_5tar
(female)

dead_5tar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethings

i had a very hurtful relationship about 7 years ago. since then i feel that i cannot become attached to another person.
This is one of the reason i think i am like i am today. Although i wasn't in the relationship for long. where i was so young at the time and he was much older it effected me really badly. I didn't even realise this until about a year ago. It was one of those things that i blocked out and pretended did not happen. But now i have tried to come to terms with it all, as i have finally seen that what happened to me back then is effecting my relationship today. I am currently am waiting to see a counsellor and when i do get to see them this will be one of the things i feel i MUST talk about. I think if you talk through it you can then get on with your life today.
I find it hard to be close to my current partner. I feel emotionally de-datched sometimes and find it hard to have a sexual relationship. And this to her is rejection...i beat myself up about it because i don't want to think i am rejecting her. Which i am not. It's not that i don't love her or find her attractive. It's just something inside me that is eating away and i hate it with a passion.
anyways sorry for blabbering. all ican suggest to speak with someone baout what happened in your past. that way you hopefully will be able to get on with your future.

Good luck

Old 10-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
Sannah
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Fear of intimacy?

Old 10-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
effexorruinme
(female)

effexorruinme HB User

Any relationship that lasts that long will have an effect whether good or bad. Try the counseling before looking for a med to "fix" it. I strongly suggest you do that. Hope all goes well!!

Closed Thread