It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

A psychiatrists or a psychologist, who can help to treat my Mom?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2006, 06:37 AM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2
A psychiatrists or a psychologist, who can help to treat my Mom?

Hi, My mother (56 years old house wife) had a relatively mild brain stroke two years ago but went thru a lots of complications after that. She is physically doing better currently (Diabetes, High Blood Pressure etc. is under control) but her thought process has become real slow, she has problems to think and talk properly and is suffering from severe depression.

But I am seeking your help not for my mother, but rather for the rest of her family members. My mother has always been very self-dependent person and hated to rely on others for anything. Whereas, unfortunately some of us now tend to be over caring towards her making it worse.. one of us basically took over everything else she was in charge of to comfort her but failing to see Mom is feeling very helpless and not liking this treatment towards her at all, but the poor thing can't even express herself properly anymore.. instead she keeps quiet, lost her self esteem and dying inside. It's true that she is about five times less physically capable than she used to be but what we collectively need is to facilitate things around her so she can take over her old responsibilities very slowly and feel part of something important. She feels she has no significant role in anything anymore and getting more and more depressed. She needs to have a positive joyful environment around her all the time but some in her family simply do not get it.

One of the largest reason for Mom's depression is, she misses her three daughters tremendously who moved out since last year. Regardless of that, I strongly believe if others who is living or not living with her, could revamp our approach towards her, she can recover much faster. Just to keep it short, I am not giving any examples of how some of us are failing to understand that we just gotta change our attitude, let me tell you this much that we do need psychological consultancy to realize WHY and HOW we need to change. We did talk about these issues internally but the defaulters repeatedly failed to understand they are so wrong due to their egoistic characteristics, stubbornness, arrogance and over smartness. They think they are doing the best for her. So my only hope at this moment is, we go to an outside professional who can point fingers to us so we finally realize how critical it is to change ourselves. I plan to brief that professional well ahead saying I am going to bring over rest of the family so you can convince them about such and such problem. But I'd keep it as a secret to others and just tell them let's seek some external advice for Mom.

I know my problem is weird but please believe me, if it wasn't a very serious matter, I'd not have revealed all these to you. Please help to save my Mom, I am quite worried for her well beings, God forbid but it doesn't seem like she can survive this misery for long. I'd be ever grateful if you please give me any ideas what type of professionals I should go for .. I think a psychiatrists might not be the solution, but a psychologist may be as we just need some advices not treatment.. do you think I am right? If yes, can I find psychologist who offers commercial services? Can you please recommend me some sources to start looking for one.. we leave in Northern Virginia.. I look forward to hearing from you.. thanks a million in advance - Maz

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 10-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,006
Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: A psychiatrists or a psychologist, who can help to treat my Mom?

MZS, your theory on your mother sounds very good. She definitely needs to do as much as she can. It seems like her regular doctor could tell the family this or the physical or occupational therapist that worked with your mother after her stroke. Good luck to you, your mother and your family.

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Psychologist for Chronic Pain??? Nikirae Back Problems 17 03-09-2011 05:10 PM
psychiatrists are always right messy Depression 19 01-31-2011 09:47 PM
Going to the psychologist Grumpy78 Mental Health 6 04-02-2008 12:32 PM
Are many Psychiatrists con-artists? ILuvBoston Mental Health 11 01-15-2007 12:23 PM
Psychiatrist or Psychologist?!! pls help Kia3238 Mental Health 5 08-29-2006 10:11 AM
Need a Psychologist Nana Gormley Pain Management 5 01-11-2006 04:49 AM
can psychiatrists actually diagnose a disorder? michelle3030 ADD / ADHD 7 10-26-2005 03:37 PM
conflicting diagnosis between school and outside psychologist? kellaz3 ADD / ADHD 16 01-16-2005 11:37 PM
Psychologist and Psychiatrists Graciecat Anxiety 2 08-08-2003 10:37 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!