It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

starting Lamictal

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
WanderingSoul
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User
starting Lamictal

Went to my psychiatrist today. Now, not only will I be taking Lexapro and Wellbutrin daily, but I am also starting Lamictal. It will take 6-8 weeks before I see any effect though, because you start off on a very small amount, and don't reach the minimal therapeutic dose until week 5.

Has anyone else been on Lamictal?

I posted on the bipolar board because I know its generally prescribed for that more than it is for depression... I am curious as to what time of day I should take it. Morning or evening?

Anyways...... who knows if this will work.. or what it will be like... I'll keep you all posted..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
trg247
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: starting Lamictal

Only real problem of taking multiple meds is figuring out which one is working and which are not, if something goes wrong. My current combo has 3 antidepressants, a anti psycotic, a mood stabilizer and a sleeping pill. Now that I am quickly sliding down the dark hole which med do I blame it on.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 10-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
*Versailles*
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

I've been taking Lamictal for a while to treat my uncontrollable depression. I've been through over a dozen medications, and Lamictal was the one that seemed to finally kick it. I really don't think I care for the "drugged" feeling tho...I'm not angry all the time..and I'm not moping and crying all of the time...but the general nothing feeling isn't that great honestly.

I'm also on multiple drugs...so I know the feeling. Just make sure that you take control of it and do the research yourself...and if you begin to feel too "drugged" let them know.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #4
WanderingSoul
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User

Well I took my first one today.. 12.5mg (starting off very very low for fear of side effects)... What do you mean by a "drugged" feeling? Also, have you found it has any effect on your cognitive abilities (memory, etc.) and coordination (i.e. feeling clumsy, etc.)... Those are 2 things I really worry about.. b/c I'm already pretty bad with those as it is, especially the memory part..

Old 10-14-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
Samantha317
Senior Veteran
(female)

Samantha317 HB User

I take Cymbalta and Lamictal. The Lamictal has helped to pull me out of the most severe depression I had been in for over 2 years. I have been working hard in therapy for 2 years too so I can't contribute all of it to the Lamictal. It sure helped me to get to the point of feeling like life was worth living. I am not completely well but I am much better now.

I started the Lamictal about 6 months ago. I could tell a difference in my mood in the first couple of days. It did take about 6 to 8 weeks to feel the full effect of it.

Do your research on it and good luck!

Sam

Old 10-15-2006, 07:47 AM   #6
*Versailles*
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

As far as the drugged feeling, I just mean that I generally feel kinda bleh throughout the day, it's kinda hard to explain I guess. It's almost like it's been a sedative for me, I'm less talkative, and less active it seems. Of course I am on a VERY high dose: 150 mg., along with my 150 mg. of Effexor and 40 mg. of Adderall. I also am fighting borderline personality disorder, so I am not sure if that makes a difference at all.

It doesn't seem to effect my coordination or memory, I have a lot of problems with those in general, and if anything, I would say it helped a little. It is nice to feel that I have a reason to live though. After fighting depression for over six years, I'm glad to say it's a little better with Lamictal.

I hope all goes well for you!
*hugs*
-Vers

Old 10-15-2006, 08:40 AM   #7
tlc6
(female)

tlc6 HB User

I've been on lamictal (300 mg) for over six months. It's a medication that helps with the depression part of bipolar disorder so they are now using it to treat depression. I've noticed no side effects with the exception of some fatigue at the beginning. Good Luck!

Old 10-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #8
WanderingSoul
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User

Thanks for all your responses.. I am already feeling more optimistic about this whole thing based on what you've all said.. Well.. not crazy about the potential "sedative" effect........ I am tired enough all the time as is! But it's nice to know that so mnay people have found it to be helpful.. I don't think I've heard anything bad about Lamictal yet (besides for people who have had the rash)... so this is very encouraging!

Old 10-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
Boogie1980
(female)

Boogie1980 HB User
Post Re: starting Lamictal

I'm glad that the previous postings have helped you feel more confident already.
I wanted to leave my feedback here as well.
I began taking Lamictal back in June. I started with a low amount and I'm currently on 300 mgs. (200 in the morning - 100 before going to sleep). I didn't get any kind of side effects. I didn't get the rash or anything. It has help me with mood disorders, I used to have episodes of very high euphoria and energy, followed by severe sadness and depression.
Currently I'm trying to let go of Lexapro. lately it was giving me many side effects. Now I'm on 2.5 mgs of Lexapro (anti-depressant) and 300 of lamictal. Hopefully soon I'll be able to let go completely of Lexapro and stay only with Lamictal hoping that my depression episodes willnot come back!
Good Luck to you all out there!

Old 10-30-2006, 07:00 PM   #10
kato
(male)

kato HB User

I've said this before on another thread so I'll keep it brief. I started out on Lamictal at 25 mg and soon had a rash. My pdoc lowered the dose to 12.5 mg and I went with that for a few weeks then upped it to 25 mg again after the rash went away.

It kicked in for me after about 4-5 days and I noticed the improvement in how I felt almost immediately. I can't say enough for Lamictal. It's finally done the trick for me after trying all sorts of ssri's and combinations. I do take a small dose of Celexa in the AM with the Lamictal, and the combination has worked for me.

Good luck, I hope it works for you all....

Closed Thread