It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

thoughts

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
xxzoexx
Inactive
(female)

xxzoexx HB User
thoughts

When i go through a depressive episode i tend to think about death alot. in particular people murdering me. i think of all the horrible ways of murder and then think about the effect it would have on my family ect. thing is this thought doesn't really scare me, it's just somthing that goes through me mind alot. like when i'm walking home late at night ect. why would i be thinking of this? does anyone else get the same thing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
trg247
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: thoughts

I get a lot of strange thoughts most of them being very violent. They jump up out of nowhere then disappear. I believe that most men with deep depression get it,

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 10-15-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
catlover4156
(female)

catlover4156 HB User

I am newly diagnosed Bipolar, and in the past few months have the same experience as you. I think of grisly things and can't get back to sleep, wondering how my family would react to my sudden death. Not exactly a fear of dying, more of a fear of the consequences of dying! It was so bad a few weeks ago that I had to change the TV channel where some stupid horror movie ad would come on. And I used to be completely opposite, almost unshockable in terms of scary things/movies/scenes!

Old 10-15-2006, 09:19 PM   #4
WanderingSoul
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User

Zoe,

I get the EXACT same thing you're talking about, the only difference being that I don't think of others murdering me; I think of doing it to myself. (We're really not supposed to discuss that on here, so I'm not going to elaborate. And for the record, I am not feeling suicidal at the moment, it's just something I've experienced at times in the past.)

But I also understand the thing about not feeling scared. In fact, for me it would be rather comforting to think about at times. The only fear was the hurt that it would cause my mom (and others as well, but no one so intensely as my mom).

Anyways..... just letting you know you're not alone.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
Therag
Veteran
(male)

Therag HB User

I'm like wandering soul where I have visions of me hurting other people. Last night I was struggling to get to sleep and I suddenly got a vision that I was hurting my beloved pet cat in the most horrible way. I also get visions of hurting my parents and sister. It screws my mind up, I mean how is it possible to think these things about my family and pet who I love more than anyone? I just feel like a cold hearted person with no feelings when I get depressed.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
oceandreams
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

Everyone gets strange or violent thoughts occasionally (even people who aren't depressed or 'mentally ill'). Try not to take them too seriously or let them have more power than they should. Just accept them and let them pass, and don't dwell on them.

Last edited by oceandreams; 10-16-2006 at 12:45 PM.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
ebelle
(female)

ebelle HB User

i think thinking of hurting someone you love or your beloved pet are signs of bi polar. I got those manic ideas when I was having side affects from paxil and zoloft which I definately shouldnt have been taking.
I dont think its normal at all to think of injuring someone you love. I think it means there is something chemically wrong.
as for fearing death on myself or loved one, that i think is very normal.
wouldnt you say it depends what we do with these thoughts? like maybe its normal to be afraid that someone will try to break into my home, steal something and try to hurt me, but does that mean I need to check my front door is locked 80 times through-out the night?
I guess we just have to decide when oiur thoughts become obssessive and when they are realiztic and warranted. You do as much as you can in life, and then you have to give up control and fear. and just give in to whatever will happen will happen. with courage.

death and tragedy hit normal people every day everywhere even when they do nothing to provoke it. sitting and thinking about it will not help you prevent it.
maybe you need something to distract yourself with? a new hobby?

Old 10-18-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
WanderingSoul
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User

Pedicurebelle,

I think you make some overall good points, but I disagree that thinking of hurting others as being a sign of bipolar. I know I have had thoughts like that, and I am not bipolar. And as others have said, it's fairly common.

A friend of mine with OCD has thoughts like that alllllllll the time as well.

Closed Thread