It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

What would be the best AD for me? Need suggestions.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2006, 03:08 AM   #1
Mr. Shutterbug
(male)

Mr. Shutterbug HB User
What would be the best AD for me? Need suggestions.

Well, I've dealt with depression for about the past 5 years, and have been on a few meds. Some have helped, and some have harmed me. I haven't been on any meds for about 1.5 years now, but I think going back on them might be necessary, because I've have been feeling VERY low for about the past 3 months now. I want to stay away from any med that can cause weight gain. I am very prone to that, and I am borderline overweight. I also want to stay away from anything known to cause sexual side effects. Here's a list of what I have tried, and the results.

Zoloft: Helped my mood pretty well, but the sexual side effects were severe, and it caused slight weight gain.

Wellbutrin XL: No side effects at all with this drug, but it did very little to improve my mood.

Remeron: Effective in helping my mood, but caused extreme weight gain (40 pounds in 4 months). I also would feel "hungover" when waking up after taking it the night before.

If anyone can give any suggestions, that would be great b/c I will be going to see my Dr. soon. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2006, 05:16 AM   #2
Dakota_Skye
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dakota_Skye HB User
Re: What would be the best AD for me? Need suggestions.

hi mr.,
did you talk to someone in the "professions" about this? i mean, did someone help you come to a conclusion that going back on meds would be the best thing for you to do right now?? because being off of them for more than one year seems like a dream to me, and i want to congratulate you on that--big time!!! i wish i could get to that point some day. anyway, i know there's no cure, just treatable symptoms we're talking about here, but nevertheless....

in re to your question about another med...well, there are the SSRI's (like the one you've mentioned, zoloft. besides zoloft there's also prozac, paxil, lexapro, and celexa); then there are the SNRI's (effexor and cymbalta); then the wellbutrin--xl just means "extended release"--but you knew that, i'm sure--(acts on the norepinephrine and dopamine receptors), but you said this was of no help to your whatsoever....; then there is Remeron, but that causes increased appetite which then leads to weight gain in some people, (that's exactly what happened to you) -- and you have to take it at night since it makes you very sleepy....

there's another class of drugs including trazodone (generic) or desyrel (brand) and serzone (both of these act in two ways--they block the reuptake of the neurotransmitters and block the receptor cells as well, so that more of these chemicals stay in between the nerve cells)--but they say to avoid these last two meds if you have issues with high blood pressure, or if you had a stroke, or heart-attack, or a history of seizures).. then there are the old ones, the trcyclics (like tofranil, pamelor, amitriptyline)--but these have much more serious side effects than the other ones...

personally, i'm on one of the SNRI's (effexor), and despite some side effects that i've learned to live with (my depression has been very bad, so i would take a less evil side effect than the complete evil and hell of depression), it's been ok. of course, there are up and down days, and up and very down days, but i've learned the cycle by now, and i know that everything passess....

as for you, i'm no expert, but what about lexapro or celexa? i've haerd the first one works rather well for many people. the other one that comes to mind is the Desyrel...but i haven't seen many people on this board on this med.

best thing to do is talk to the doc about it, when you go in for your appt.

p.s. was just wandering what do you think caused the symptoms to come back after one and one half years? anything happen over the last three months?
good luck to you, mr!

Old 10-23-2006, 08:48 AM   #3
Mr. Shutterbug
(male)

Mr. Shutterbug HB User

TY for the suggestions.

Do celexa or lexapro help with low energy? I forgot to mention that, but that's one of the biggest side effects of my depression. When it gets bad like this, I'm tired all the time and I want to sleep 12+ hours a day.

There are several things that contributed to me getting worse lately, but I think the main contributor is being stuck in a really ****** job with seemingly no way out.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
trg247
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

It is very difficult to suggest a med for evere med acts different to different people. When they were looking for the right med for me in the hospital none of them would work so they started to combine all of them into one combo to what I take now (effexor, wellbutrin,remeron for AD) and that works with little to no side effects. If it has been a long time since you took any AD I would try the natural route first

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Closed Thread