It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

Help! I keep losing eveything

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2006, 06:26 AM   #1
Missplacedit
(female)

Missplacedit HB User
Unhappy Help! I keep losing eveything

I've been depressed for a couple years. This week is the worst. Anything that touches my hands.. I put down somewhere and lose it.

It makes me feel even worse about myself.

I just lost my drivers license and TWO credit cards in the past two weeks. I have to tell my husband that I just lost HIS credit card and I'm afraid he is going to be so angry and or dissappointed with me. He gets freaked out about the credit cards.

I am supposed to be on Effexor but I LOST the prescription fot the second time and was to embarrased to call the doctor again about it. I need to be on meds but it's like I'm too depressed to call the doctor. Make sense?

My 11 year old is always having to help me find things. It's so embarrasing and makes me feel like a piece of you-know-what,

Last edited by Missplacedit; 10-26-2006 at 07:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
xxxzoexxx
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User
Re: Help! I keep losing eveything

i am very forgetfull to, someone could ask me to do somthing, and i'll forget it soon after. yesterday i was out shopping and thought about somthing i needed to buy in a shop, after going into another shop first. when i came out the shop i compleatly fogot what i needed to get. It upsets me too and it makes me angry at myself. I actually had to go outside and sit down for a while to calm down and i was very determant to remember what it was that i had forgotten. Eventually remembered, but it is still annoying that i forget things all the time. I should write every idea i have on paper!

Take care.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
Stephx86
(female)

Stephx86 HB User

I completely understand!

With my headaches, and depression, I felt my short term memory was sometimes shot to [removed]! It is SOOOO frustrating and upsetting, because you feel like "what the heck is wrong with me!!!!".

I wish I had something to make it better, but the best bet is to write things down in a notebook, maybe a big once since it's harder to lose. I tried that and it helped me a lot to remember my thoughts, and it's there to go over and reflect on your feelings.

As for hubby, well, it's not that hard to call up and let them know the credit cards are lost, yes it's an inconvience but they'll send you another. I know he might get upset, but just explain to him that you're having memory problems and you already feel bad enough.

Good luck!

Last edited by WanderingMod; 10-26-2006 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Please read and follow the posting rules. Profanity of any kind is not permitted, even if it is disguised.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
WanderingSoul
Senior Veteran
(female)

WanderingSoul HB User

I joke that I should be a magician because I am so good at making things disappear.. At this point, when I lose things, I tend not to even worry, because it happens so much, and about half the time they do show up eventually.. And when they don't, well..... it just happens so much, I've resigned to it and try not to let it upset me.

I also joke that I am like a goldfish, with a 3-second memory span, and that that little plastic castle really IS a surprise every time..

I also joke about my ditziness being due to the fact that i'm blonde.....

But.. even though I try to make all these jokes.. It's really not funny anymore. It stopped being funny the THIRD time I left the stove on and nearly burnt down a house (although the first two times weren't all that amusing either)..

Some things that have helped:

- As someone else mentioned, keep a journal/notebook. I try to write it down every day, and instead of just writing about my thoughts and general ideas, I record events that actually happened that day.

- Rubberbands on wrists. I start the day with five of them on my right-hand wrist. Each one represents a different medication. As the day goes on, I switch each rubberband to the other wrist, as I take its corresponding med. It has been very helpful in remembering to take them. But I think you can use rubberbands to help you remember other things too.

- Attach stuff to yourself whenever possible. I.e. I got a key-chain with a belt clip, so I can keep it on me at all times and then not misplace it.

- Have designated places in your house for certain items. Attach hooks to the wall and have a specific key-hook.. Keep a little blox by the door for all out-going mail. Keep all your prescription supplies in one place. Etc. etc.

I know it all sounds way easier said than done. Sometimes I hate those self-help/organizer gurus who try to make staying tidy and organized seem so simple, when the reality is that, no matter how hard some of us try, our bedrooms always look like they've been hit by a tornado.. But, over the years, I have picked up on little things here and there that have been helpful.. so.. anyways, yeah.

Wow this was a long post.

Closed Thread