It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

Recommendations

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User
Recommendations

Hi everyone ! I currently struggle with different issues in life and have what I think would be mild depression. I do not have suicidal thoughts luckily (I would feel too guilty to do that anyway and cause others close to me pain), but I just get really down and think so negatively. I am a perfectionist and see problems with me all over and even little things (like if a bottle's label isn't facing me) bother me when I'm stressed. Sometimes I get claustraphobic. I struggle with low self esteem and I feel guilty for anything people do for me. I have not gone on any medication but talked to a counselor for a while about things. She was very nice and it was good to get everything out to a person who wouldn't judge me, but I go back to the same thing and can't seem to fix it. Sometimes I don't even want to fix it because I don't feel that I deserve to be happy. I'm really not sure what to do.. but I really feel bad when I cause the people around me to worry or when they get frustrated because they can't help. My boyfriend told me that he knew some people at work who were saying they went on antidepressants and it was amazing.. they felt like everything was just lifted up and they were free. I don't feel like I have anything so bad going on in my life, but I get in these phases where I feel like everything is wrong. I'm very hard on myself!

Does anybody have any good advice that has really worked for them? I'm not sure if medication is the answer or if it would help. I would be willing to try it but need one without a lot of side effects. I am on the birth control pill (my problems started BEFORE taking the pill and have been here for years) so I need something that won't mess with that and I am very hard on myself about my weight so I need one without the side effect for weight gain. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
Sannah
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa
I am a perfectionist and see problems with me all over and even little things (like if a bottle's label isn't facing me) bother me when I'm stressed. I struggle with low self esteem and I feel guilty for anything people do for me. I don't feel that I deserve to be happy. but I really feel bad when I cause the people around me to worry or when they get frustrated because they can't help.

Hi, sounds like you are too concerned about others and that possibly you are meeting others needs and not your own. What happened to you that made you think that you are not very valuable?

Old 11-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

The problem is that I'm really not sure.. I know I do worry about what others think, but I'm also a very independent person and don't like to be around people ALL the time. I'm friendly and social, but I like to keep a balance. I have a great boyfriend and a wonderful family so I don't really know why I would feel like that. I have several good part time jobs and I love the college I go to. I don't have a lot of CLOSE friends but do my best with what I have and make the most of it. I just get sad a lot sometimes for no reason or stay home crying and I don't even really know why.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
trg247
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

before heading to antidepressants try alternative products like st. john's wort.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 11-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would try it, but St. John's Wart makes the birth control pill not work as well.. do you happen to know anything else natural that can help? I'm not opposed to antidepressants and don't even know if I would need them, but of course I would rather NOT take them if I didn't have to and if there were another way to help.

The only thing that kind of worked was taking a diet pill that had way too much caffeine in it. I don't take them anymore, but the one time I took as much as it said and I was so jittery that all I wanted to do was go work out and burn off energy and couldn't really even think right b/c my mind was racing so much. Definitely not good!

Last edited by tUrRrRa; 11-02-2006 at 04:30 PM.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:41 PM   #6
rose_5-HT
(male)

rose_5-HT HB User

Quote:
I would try it, but St. John's Wart makes the birth control pill not work as well.. do you happen to know anything else natural that can help? I'm not opposed to antidepressants and don't even know if I would need them, but of course I would rather NOT take them if I didn't have to and if there were another way to help.

Magnesium

Old 11-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #7
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose_5-HT
Magnesium
Thanks.. my multivitamin has it in there but not the full 100%, so it's definitely worth a try. Is magnesium one of the vitamins where it is bad to go over the 100%? I'm just not sure how much is good to take.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
rose_5-HT
(male)

rose_5-HT HB User

Quote:
Thanks.. my multivitamin has it in there but not the full 100%, so it's definitely worth a try. Is magnesium one of the vitamins where it is bad to go over the 100%? I'm just not sure how much is good to take.
The US RDA (recommended daily allowance) is 400 mg/day. But you get more powerful effect when taking 1000-1500 mg/day. The dose is very important. The dose of magnesium in your multivitamin can only be far too low for you to feel a change.

Magnesium is very safe, no side-effects at all.

Also bear in mind that large intake of calcium strongly antagonizes the effect of magnesium.

Rose_5-HT

Old 11-04-2006, 07:04 AM   #9
kittywitty
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:

The only thing that kind of worked was taking a diet pill that had way too much caffeine in it. I don't take them anymore, but the one time I took as much as it said and I was so jittery that all I wanted to do was go work out and burn off energy and couldn't really even think right b/c my mind was racing so much. Definitely not good!
Since you're on the pill, you might want to consider taking a B complex vitamin. Birth control pills deplete a lot of the B vitamins, which are related to mood. I was on the pill before and my depression became worse. I started taking the B complex and felt immediately better. The pill also depletes magnesium, so adding that may help, too.

Last edited by kittywitty; 11-04-2006 at 07:06 AM.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:40 PM   #10
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you to both of you, that really helps out a lot! I'm starting to think that my moods may be worsensed by the pill, so if I don't see an improvement from these things I may switch pills and see if I notice a difference. I'll try both magnesium and vitamin B. Have you all ever tried the natural mood enhancer pills? I saw some in the store today and didn't know if they actually worked or not.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:48 PM   #11
dreammaker
(male)

dreammaker HB User

hi tUrRrRa-

I have always considered myself very fortunate over the years and have never had to deal with any depression until about six months ago. For some reason to which I will never know the answer, everything turned on me maybe I let everything stack up until the stack couldn't get any higher. All of the sudden my job was not fun or challenging for me anymore and waking up in the morning was a huge task. I felt down like I was never going to be able to get back up and it was putting a serious strain on my realtionship. It went on for a couple of months and I was in jepordy of losing my job cause of it. I kept telling myself that I would work me way through this. Then I contemplated suicide and I knew right then and there something has to be done about this.

Well, I am not the type of person to call the doc. and say "I need help" so I did some research and found about St. John Wort that in affect didn't work for me personally.
I confided in one of my good friends for support and to her credit she has helped me through alot but didn't quite get me out of the hole I was in. I was eating tons, gaining weight and I started smoking and drinking heavily.

Drinking wasnt working for me it would only delay the depression and make it so much worse the next day so I turned to the single thing that I knew best. Exercise.

I hadn't exercised since I started my new job about two years ago. So like Forest Gump I started to run. I traded the cigerettes for the gym and ran some more. It was hard to stay motivated so I took things one day at a time. Eventually because I was putting so much focus into getting in shape that I forgot about being so depressed. I hadnt even realized it until I thought about it months later! I still am in the gym today, healthier then ever and on track to run a 1/2 marathon in January.

The only thing that I regret is not letting my loved ones in on my situation I think they could have given me the motivation and courage that I needed to seek professional help.

It is a proven fact that exercise releases positive endorphns to counter the bad ones or the lack of the good ones. Exercise has worked for me and hopefully maybe for you too. Other suggestions that helped me:

1) Let someone know how you are feeling.
2) Find new projects that keep your mind busy.
3) Definately don't drink
4) Get professional help
5) Realize there are millions of people that suffer from depression.
6) MAKE A DECISION TO GET BETTER AND ACT ON IT.

Thanks for your ear. I hope this helps.

-S.J.-

Old 11-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #12
tUrRrRa
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dreammaker, thank you so much for all of your advice. You have a lot of great ideas.

Luckily I have not ever turned to drinking when I'm depressed.. I do drink occasionally with friends but I make sure not to do it if I'm in a bad mood.. I don't want to be the moody drunk person!

I REALLY want to start working out more. When I first left for college I had lost about 3 pounds and actually started to feel somewhat confident. It wasnt a lot of weight, but I had lost almost 20 pounds the year before in a dance class and went from a size 9 to a size 3. I didn't have a job at first so I would go to the gym every day and eat a lot of fruit. Now I know sometimes I didn't eat enough.. eating a peach for dinner wasn't the best idea, but I felt happiest then. I also went tanning and liked how it looked.. I got into some material things but they made me happy.

Now that I have gained 10 pounds from my lowest point and still work out, but not every day, and I actually eat meals, but I don't think I eat a lot at all and I eat mostly healthy things and only occasionally eat things like pizza. I stopped tanning to save my skin but now I hate how it looks. I don't want to be worried about these things b/c I know they dont matter.. but when I'm upset about other things, I start blaming my appearance.

I don't always trust people about telling them about me b/c I've had a lot of people say things that make me feel bad, so then I choose not to tell them those kinds of things. I talked to my mom about it (and boyfriend.. who supports me most) but we live in different states so it's hard to only talk on the phone and she usually gets after me for saying I am busy or something and I don't know if she thinks I am sitting around or what ??? She did give ma great idea of finding volunteer groups I can work with that will make me feel good and not make me worry about other things. I really want to do this and am gonig to look into it. I don't work on Saturdays but work every other day so maybe then will work.

I also set some goals for myself.. things I would like to do within the next year or so. I have things like losing the weight I gained (or at least part of it), being healthier, being happier, things like that. So we'll see what happens!

PS, sorry this was so long!

Closed Thread