It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Medication: Paxil/Gabapentin/Prilosec

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #1
    Dodger101
    (male)

Dodger101 HB User
    Medication: Paxil/Gabapentin/Prilosec

My elderly father (92) goes through periods of what I would call a mixture of anxiety and depression. He's still of sound mind but at times he has episodes of anger. The doctor has prescribed 20 MG of Paxil once daily, 100 MG of Gabapentin three times a day and 2 Prilosec OTC two times a day for stomach acid. He has extreme head aches and is under the assumption the Gabapentin is medication for them. In reviewing the medication, I see that both Paxil and Gabapentin are somewhat the same, prescribed for the same symptoms. They both have the same side effects, headaches and dizzyness both of which he has. Is it common to prescribe both at the same time? I'm also concerned of the dosage. He's older and frail and appears to be overmedicated. As i am not his primary care giver I would like to know if there are any suggestions I could make concerning this. Should I recommend a second opinion regarding his medication?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
    Seymour93
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Seymour93 HB User
    Re: Medication: Paxil/Gabapentin/Prilosec

The elderly easily become overmedicated. Personally, I would get a second opinion.

Closed Thread