It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Zoloft - when will I know?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2007, 05:16 AM   #1
    needaplan
    (female)

needaplan HB User
    Zoloft - when will I know?

I asked this question on the Anxiety board, but haven't received any replies... so I thought I'd ask the same question here.

A little over weeks ago, I was dx'd with an anxiety disorder and depression. For the first time in my life, I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed Zoloft. I have been on Zoloft for about 2 weeks. Started with 1 week at 1/2 tab daily, then this past week at 1 tab daily. Last night, I started with 1.5 tabs, and I'm supposed to stay there.

So far, I don't really feel much of a difference. Not much change in my depression, but most importantly, not too much in the anxiety. There have been a couple of mornings when I didn't wake up with that horrible anxious knot in my stomach (for no reason, which is the most frightening).

When should I know? And for those of you who have been taking it (successfully), what does it feel like when you know it's working?

I guess I'm hoping for this wave of relief. Am I expecting too much? I have never been on any kind of anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medication before.

I hope someone can help! Thank you so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
    teacher1st
    (female)

teacher1st HB User
    Re: Zoloft - when will I know?

Hey there. I used to take zoloft. For about 6 years total. I was on 50mg for a few years and then 100mg for the rest. It eventually stopped working and I had to change to something else. I didn't feel much of a change until the 50mg. After about 2 weeks though, I felt wonderful. I no longer dreaded getting up in the morning and I didn't want to sleep all the time. I also stopped having those anxiety attacks when I was shopping. Good luck. Give it at least 6 weeks before you give up on it!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
    ZoloftMan
    (male)

ZoloftMan HB User

Teacher & Need,

I was on Zoloft for a long time and it too seem to stop working for me. I was on Effexor XR for 8 months recently and felt nothing so my doctor wanted to try Zoloft again. I took it for the last 6 weeks but it caused so much gas and stomach upset that my doc. has now started me on Lexepro yesterday.

Thanks for your encouraging post response. I had a good day yesterday when I took my first Lexapro, but today was not good which I think is due to the side effects starting to kick-in or stopping Zoloft. I will stay the course though in that I have 2 friends who've had recent success with Lexapro.

Hang in there Need.....

Old 02-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
    liz49
    Inactive
    (female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User

Needaplan--
    You really do have to be patient with the antidepressants...sadly, though they can be wonder drugs and lifesavers, they do not work overnight.
    I was put on Zoloft 10 years ago. It took 3 weeks for it to "kick in" and I remember the moment that it did..I had been so anxious and depressed for such a long time, and one afternoon I just laid down on the sofa and fell asleep, right in the middle of a conversation w/my sister. I slept for about an hour and woke up suddenly and said "What happened?" and she replied "Hurray! Your meds are working!" Slowly and surely they did until I hit a therapeutic dose. Looking back I wish I had the knowledge then that I have now. I would have taken more Klonipin and made myself more comfortable and not tried to ride out the anxiety--it was 100xs worse than the depression ever was (still is, actually). Luckily for me the Zoloft has worked pretty well and although my pdoc occasionally tries to get me to try something else, I really think if it ain't broken, I don't want to try to fix it. We all have good & bad days....drugs can't make everything be peachy, so I recognize that and do the best I can with the cards I've been dealt. Hang in there and get something for the anxiety while you're waiting for the Zoloft to build up. And get a lot of exercise, if possible. That seemed to really help me, too.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
    needaplan
    (female)

needaplan HB User

Thank you everyone for your kind and encouraging responses!

Actually, I saw a new pschiatrist today -- and I know this one is the better fit for me. My old psychiatrist (whom I saw only once but knew pretty much right away that it wasn't going to work out) had not only mis-dx'd me, but had me on too low a dose of both the Zoloft and the Xanax.

I am currently on 75MG/day of the Zoloft (I built up to this slowly), and .25 Xanax 1Xday. To make a long story short, she dx'd me as having Panic Disorder and told me that she doesn't like rx'ing anything that will help with immediate relief of anxiety -- okay, so what do *you* do, Dr., when you are clutching your stomach on the couch for hours because the anxiety is causing physical pain? The answer: have patience and wait for the Zoloft to kick in. (This after waiting 2 days for them to finally get the question right and then call me back.)

The doctor I saw today really listened to me (the other doctor didn't want to hear anything but my symptoms) and said that he thought the dx is really depression and anxiety, the depression being the overriding issue.

He wants me to continue the Zoloft, but at a higher dose. He also wants me to try klonopin.

What a caring and knowledgable doctor -- and he also has a background in pharmacology. I feel so relieved that I finally have confidence in my doctor.

I immediately called my other doctor (from the car!), cancelled my next appointment, and said that I "would schedule at a later date." I decided that because she is a neighbor, I would just go away quietly...

Anyway, back to the Zoloft, I actually felt it kind of kick in last Thursday. It was like a wave of relief that hit me in the car. Not totally gone, but not so heavy, you know? Like a big blanket had been lifted off.

Thanks for the encouragement to stick with this. I think that the higher dose (he wants me on 150MG) will make it even better.

Whew! Thank you so much for listening to me and responding so quickly. I love it here.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
    liz49
    Inactive
    (female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User

Needaplan--Yep, the trick is finding someone you feel comfortable with, who does listen, not just to your symptoms, but to YOU. Sounds like you are feeling better and the feeling you described of the the blanket being lifted, that is the meds beginning to work. Klonipin is, for me, a wonder drug and my big security blanket. I know that I can function, go anywhere, travel, be in almost any situation that was previously too stressful when I know I have some Klonipin, even if I don't actually take it.
    Don't worry about cancelling out on the other doc. Happens all the time and she'll figure it out. If she's unprofessional enough to ask why you didn't follow up just tell her you found a doc who worked better for you. Maybe that's harsh, but might cause her to rethink her diagnostic skills! (And for most people a therapuetic dose of Zoloft is in the 100-150 mgs dose--when I am at my most "Ok" I can go as low as 75, but right now I'm at 200, so that is a little telling of current events, I guess, I hope to taper down a litle soon)

Best to you!
    Liz

Closed Thread