It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Help! Lexapro side effect

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
    MinnesotaNole
    (male)

MinnesotaNole HB User
    Question Help! Lexapro side effect

I just started on 20 mg of Lexapro 1X per day and let me tell you the results have been incredible. Generalized anxiety is way down (no more intense tension in the neck, lump in the the throat, heart racing, etc.) and I actually notice my surroundings now and I'm happy about the world around me. I think I was depressed and didn't even realize it. Is it possible to not be aware of your clinical depression?

There is one problem, however. The Lexapro works too well. I'm a college student who graduates this upcoming May and I've lost all motivation to study and get things done. I'm all about procrastination now; I almost feel as if I'm "too happy" to worry about important goals, deadlines, etc (if that makes sense).

Has anyone experienced a loss of motivation from being on SSRI's and what did you do to comabt this side effect?

I've heard that when you boost serotonin in the brain there is a corresponding dampening of dopamine. It's kind of like serotonin going up on the balance scale and dopamine going down. Could this be responsible for the loss of motivation side effects?

Last edited by MinnesotaNole; 02-14-2007 at 03:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
    kessa
    (female)

kessa HB User
    Re: Help! Lexapro side effect

MinnesotaNole- I can relate to your story. I was diagnosed 5 years ago with depression. Same symtoms you discribed. I went to doctors for 3 months before I tried Celexa. Wow what a difference it made. I didn't know I was depressed either. Once the Celexa took effect, I realized I had been in a state of depression most of my life.
    I use to be uptight, goal driven, and very organized. I have not been that way for the last 5 years. I have a hard time completeing things and get side tracked often. It drives my husband crazy. He and I have been married for 17 years. I have tried to explain to him that i want to accomplish things but it just doesn't happen. Only thing that helps me is to make a list and try to stick to it. Only focus on one thing at a time. My husband has even tried to reward me for staying on task. Some days are better then others.
    The good thing about antidepressants is that you learn to enjoy the little things in life. I noticed sunsets, birds, children playing etc...So all I can say is don't be to hard on yourself.
    I told my husband i feel like i 've exchanged the depression for ADD. I'll stay disorganized. Depression was Hell. Good luck
    Kessa

Old 02-17-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
    ZoloftMan
    (male)

ZoloftMan HB User

Hey there, I have been on Lexapro for 12 days and I too am not motivated. I think that part of my anxiety was just worrying about everything and trying to get everything done perfectly, and Lexapro seems to be help with that by adding less motivation.

Question for both of you: I am taking 10mg per day and I have had lots of gas, bloating and associated stomach cramps. Did either of you experience such when you started Lexapro?

Thanks,
    Z

Old 02-17-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
    kessa
    (female)

kessa HB User

Zoloftman- I don't remember gas or stomach pains, but I use to feel funny (light headed) if i didn't take it with a large meal. I have IBS so maybe that's why i don't remember the gas. What time of the day do you take it? Do you take it with food? Does Gas meds help calm your stomach? Maybe you have IBS. It is a anxiety induced problem. Let us know how you do.
    Kessa

Old 02-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
    ZoloftMan
    (male)

ZoloftMan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kessa View Post
    Zoloftman- I don't remember gas or stomach pains, but I use to feel funny (light headed) if i didn't take it with a large meal. I have IBS so maybe that's why i don't remember the gas. What time of the day do you take it? Do you take it with food? Does Gas meds help calm your stomach? Maybe you have IBS. It is a anxiety induced problem. Let us know how you do.
    Kessa
    Thanks Kessa. I take it in the morning, after breakfast. By the way, my breakfast consist of a bowl of oatmeal. Of course, oatmeal has lots of fiber so it may be adding to the issue. I usually eat at approx. 6:30am, take my Lexapro and by 9:00am, I feel like a "blowfish", just bloated. I eat a snack and that helps. The bloated, gas is not all the time, just periodic throughout the day.

I may need to eat a heartier breakfast (no oatmeal) and then take my pill.

Oh, I stopped the Pharmacy today and was advised that I can take Gas-X-with Mylanta so I picked up some. I am hoping the feeling will start to subside as I get used to Lexapro and it actually kicks in.

Regards,
    ZM

Last edited by ZoloftMan; 02-17-2007 at 08:01 PM.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
    RebelCub20
    (male)

RebelCub20 HB User

Hey,

I was on Lexapro for about 2 months. The first 2 weeks were great, I was on top of the world, and my depression was gone, but then it all went away. The side effects then set in after about 2 weeks. Most notably I had leg shakes and worst of all, I had HORRRRIBLE e.d. I'm a pretty healthy 25 year old baseball player and I'm in pretty good shape, but I could not maintain an erection to save my life and when I could I could not climax, even though I have a very good sex life. I had to get off of it, so I switched to Wellbutrin, which totally restored my libido and made it even better. It was great. The only real side effect of the WB is I tend to sweat alot. Although, given my profession I work out alot and sweat alot anyways, so it's not all that bad.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #7
    camjunkie
    (male)

camjunkie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZoloftMan View Post
    Thanks Kessa. I take it in the morning, after breakfast. By the way, my breakfast consist of a bowl of oatmeal. Of course, oatmeal has lots of fiber so it may be adding to the issue. I usually eat at approx. 6:30am, take my Lexapro and by 9:00am, I feel like a "blowfish", just bloated. I eat a snack and that helps. The bloated, gas is not all the time, just periodic throughout the day.

I may need to eat a heartier breakfast (no oatmeal) and then take my pill.

Oh, I stopped the Pharmacy today and was advised that I can take Gas-X-with Mylanta so I picked up some. I am hoping the feeling will start to subside as I get used to Lexapro and it actually kicks in.

Regards,
    ZM
    It's the Lexapro causing the gas. It will likely persist. I tried everything imaginable for almost two years and I never could stop farting. I stopped the Lexapro, and my GI tract normalized again.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:40 PM   #8
    teresa2007
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teresa2007 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by camjunkie View Post
    It's the Lexapro causing the gas. It will likely persist. I tried everything imaginable for almost two years and I never could stop farting. I stopped the Lexapro, and my GI tract normalized again.

Closed Thread