HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Depression (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/)
-   -   How to get off Zoloft and what can I expect? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/481200-how-get-off-zoloft-what-can-i-expect.html)

Kari7171 03-15-2007 08:36 PM

How to get off Zoloft and what can I expect?

I really think Zoloft is making me feel really closed off to people. I feel numb most of the time. I didn't take any last night and I feel happier today. I have tried to quit before but by about day 3 I get really tired and depressed. Before I took Zoloft I did not feel as depressed as when I start to have withdrawals from it.

I have only been taking 25 mg a day so that's a super low dose. I only wanted to get through some things and not take it forever. I feel I am ready now. I am not clinically depressed I just have had some tough times lately and want to stop taking it now. Tonight I split the 25 mg in half and hopefully I can get myself off of it. Plus it completly ruins my sex drive and that's not good for my marriage at all.

So what can I expect and for how long?

Breezes 03-16-2007 02:03 PM

Re: How to get off Zoloft and what can I expect?

I stopped taking Zoloft at 25 mg. and felt fine.

Kari7171 03-16-2007 02:41 PM

How long were you taking it? I've been taking it for a year now. Did you switch to a different kind or just stop taking meds all together?

Breezes 03-17-2007 09:17 AM

I took it for 6 months. I actually felt less depressed when I got off it. That was the last med that I've taken.

Kiasmama 03-17-2007 04:43 PM

Have been going to talk therapy as well? Nontheless, I was on it for about four years....at 25mg you should be fine to go off it. I think I had some lightheadedness for a few days, but other than that...I was fine with the withdrawl.

cheman 03-17-2007 07:09 PM

I found this on another website: "Among the symptoms that may be experienced are nausea, tremors, lightheadedness, muscle pains, weakness, insomnia, and anxiety. The withdrawal symptoms usually last 1-2 weeks but in some instances they may gradually decrease over a period as long as a month"

I would expect this stuff, worst case scenario. It is hard to get off powerfull drugs such as antidepressants sometimes. I would just try going off, expect to feel withdrawals but always keep your goal in mind (quitting) no matter what your state of mind becomes. If you want to quit, just stick with it and don't give up.

good luck :)

Kari7171 03-17-2007 09:45 PM

I cut it down to 1/2 of a 25 mg piece and I'll do that for a week and then try to stop. I did feel really weird the last time I tried to quit cold turkey. Although I know 25 mg is such a small dose it really effected me when I tried to quit last time. So far lowering my dose really super low is going good and I feel better then when I was taking 25 mg. I swear in the long run it seems like this stuff makes me even more depressed. That's so weird and not what it's supposed to do.

leish 03-18-2007 12:00 AM

[QUOTE=Kari7171;2861347]I really think Zoloft is making me feel really closed off to people. I feel numb most of the time. I didn't take any last night and I feel happier today. I have tried to quit before but by about day 3 I get really tired and depressed. Before I took Zoloft I did not feel as depressed as when I start to have withdrawals from it.

I have only been taking 25 mg a day so that's a super low dose. I only wanted to get through some things and not take it forever. I feel I am ready now. I am not clinically depressed I just have had some tough times lately and want to stop taking it now. Tonight I split the 25 mg in half and hopefully I can get myself off of it. Plus it completly ruins my sex drive and that's not good for my marriage at all.

So what can I expect and for how long?[/QUOTE]

I've taken zoloft on & off for years and only when i started taking it again last year did i find that it was making me feel numb & tired & not at all helping. I was put on 150mgs though so i figure it was zonking me out. I slowly took myself off it at the end of last year and i didn't have withdrawals. But honestly, that feeling of numbness made me feel like the walking dead. Even though i have severe depression i feel better & much more alert now that I'm off it.

Just make sure you cut down slowly, whatever you do don't stop taking it abruptly unless you want to deal with dizziness/general horrible feeling for a good few weeks.

index.html 03-18-2007 04:18 AM

[QUOTE=Kari7171;2865171]I cut it down to 1/2 of a 25 mg piece and I'll do that for a week and then try to stop. [/QUOTE]

Yes, that's a good idea. If you are still uncomfortable coming off of 12.5mg, try taking it every other day for a while.

Good luck!

Trixibel 03-19-2007 01:51 AM

when i came off it at the end of last year i was taking 25 mg every other day and then 25 mg every third day. i didn't have any withdrawal symptoms at all and i'd been on it a year. so good luck to you.

JustinCase 03-19-2007 02:57 AM

I used it for a while, without any assist from it. But getting off for me wasn't a problem. I was on a signficant dose though. I don't recall how much. It's been quite some time now.

I don't think you'll have much of a problem for any length of time. Just try to bear with it for a little while and you should be okay.

JC

airforcewife04 04-01-2007 06:07 PM

I had some withdrawl zaps & dizzyness was the most common. I've been off for a month & still get dizzy. I am having a lot of anxiety right now, I hope to be put on something I don't have to take every day, but the military doctors suck & its hard to get anything other than motrin!!!! :)

Kari7171 04-01-2007 06:10 PM

OK so that's what the dizzyness is from. I figured that was it. It's very mild and only once in a while. The first few days I was really tired but didn't get any zaps like people talk about so I was glad about that. It's been about a week and a half without any Zoloft. I was only taking 25 mg a day though and I broke those in half even for a few days and then quit. I'm sure it would take much longer if someone had been taking 100 mg for a year. I actually feel better emotionally without it. I think it was dragging me down.