It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Could my Lexapro tapering cause head tingles and dizziness? Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
    AngieBaby77
    (female)

AngieBaby77 HB User
    Question Could my Lexapro tapering cause head tingles and dizziness? Help!

I am on a Lexapro taper because I HATE this medicine and I want off. Basically, for the past week I have been cutting my Lexapro pill into five to six tiny pieces and I've been taking all but one or two tiny pieces. So I guess you could say I am taking between 4/6 and 5/6 of 10 mg of Lexapro per day.

I figured cutting the pill into sixes and going down that slowly (I am reducing 1/6 every ten days) I would avoid withdrawal side effects.

My first taper has been going on for about six days. Last night I felt dizzy, and today I am getting intermittent tingling sensations on the top of my head.

Could this be from the taper, even though it is very small and gradual?

Thanks!

Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
    quiet storm
    (male)

quiet storm HB User
    Re: Could my Lexapro tapering cause head tingles and dizziness? Help!

Sounds like it to me. Hopefully the tingling is all you will experience. If its not too bad, I would just keep up what you are doing, but I wouldnt cut the dose again until after the tingling goes away.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
    AngieBaby77
    (female)

AngieBaby77 HB User

Thanks...no, the tingling isn't too bad, just a bit scary and irritating.

So far, nothing but dizziness last night and the tingling, so I guess so far so good. I will continue on my plan to taper but as you recommended will wait until the tingles stop. Any idea on how long that takes?

Old 04-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
    Colleen1613
    (female)

Colleen1613 HB User

This is a side effect of discontinuing Lexapro. In my experience, the people who do have side effects from discontinuing Lexapro have reported that the tingling that you described is very annoying. The good news is that it will subside in time. Some people have said that it can take up to a few months but it is less and less every day and does become less bothersome. Hang in there, you will feel better soon!

Old 04-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
    Survivor3
    Veteran
    (male)

Survivor3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngieBaby77 View Post
    I am on a Lexapro taper because I HATE this medicine and I want off. Basically, for the past week I have been cutting my Lexapro pill into five to six tiny pieces and I've been taking all but one or two tiny pieces. So I guess you could say I am taking between 4/6 and 5/6 of 10 mg of Lexapro per day.

I figured cutting the pill into sixes and going down that slowly (I am reducing 1/6 every ten days) I would avoid withdrawal side effects.

My first taper has been going on for about six days. Last night I felt dizzy, and today I am getting intermittent tingling sensations on the top of my head.

Could this be from the taper, even though it is very small and gradual?

Thanks!

Angela
    Do this under a doc's supervision. Dizziness and tingling are signs of low bp. I know because of my time on sertraline. Watch for shortness of breath and rapid heartbeat.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
    Ruminator
    (male)

Ruminator HB User

Sorry for your discomfort. I was on lexapro 10mg for about 2 years...when I stopped taking it, I tapered very slowly but still had these tingling sensations. They were very annoying and lasted about 6 weeks. The important thing to recognize is that it's "normal" (so far as the crazy world of meds go) and it does pass. Despite the fact that my doc hadn't heard of anyone else experiencing this, just about every other lexapronian i've spoken to has had the same problem.

However, I just started taking it again after a few years of no meds. The beginning sucks too. I'm groggy, feel like I'm in a dream, and have moderate fluish feelings. Meds are a strange world, but in my experience, only the first few weeks of starting them and the last few weeks of ending them are a pain. When your body gets used to them, all is well. And in my humble opinion (tho somewhat off topic) I'd rather be taking low doses of prescription meds as opposed to self medicating with alcohol/other drugs/destructive behavior.

Just hang in there and you'll be fine. Drink plenty of water, and try to exercise regularly. This helped enormously during my taper - tho its quite annoying to get those little head "zaps" while running around a track...I'm amazed I never fell on my ***

Best of Luck!

Old 04-10-2007, 05:59 AM   #7
    Ever Blue
    (male)

Ever Blue HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngieBaby77 View Post
    Thanks...no, the tingling isn't too bad, just a bit scary and irritating.

So far, nothing but dizziness last night and the tingling, so I guess so far so good. I will continue on my plan to taper but as you recommended will wait until the tingles stop. Any idea on how long that takes?

I think thats the word I have been looking for. Tingles. I've had this whenever I have missed taking my medication and I have experienced this with Seroxat and Effexor though slowly reducing the dose of Effexor has really helped this time round.

Its very very uncomfortable and distressing. I on missing medication and not been able to get it until the day ended for example would have to take it when I could and sleep a few hours to give the medication time to remove this undesirable feeling.

I hope your feeling better anyhow. I know only too well what its like.

Closed Thread