It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Please answer I need your advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
    kjarels
    (male)

kjarels HB User
    Please answer I need your advice

My wife and I recently separated back in December and for some reason my psych doctor asked me if I wanted to come off Zoloft so I said I would try it. Well to be honest I do not think it has been going very well and this Monday I happen to work at Virginia Tech where the mass murder took place so that added to my depression. I called my doctor and told him I think I needed to be put back on something so he wants to put me on 10 mg of Lexapro, he already has me on 100mg Topamax for anxiety which has not helped by the way, and wants to add the lexapro to that. My question before I try the lexapro is this. How many of you have tried lexapro and has it helped at all?? What kind of side effects can I expect from lexapro??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
    ILiveForMyKIDS
    (male)

ILiveForMyKIDS HB User
    Re: Please answer I need your advice

NO TO LEXAPRO. I was on it and it is the worst drug on the planet. My wife was on it. WORST Drug. I would highly recommend prozac. The only reason they don't push prozac so much, is it no longer has a patent, and the medical field can't charge you rediculous amounts of money for it. Lexapro is bad. Sorry that you were so involved in the Virginia Tech. It's been hard on the country, and that's without even being in the middle of it. I would talk about getting on xanax or something. I used to be for the antidepressants. I'm not so much for them. I would find a good therapist or friends or church or someone. A divorce is more then enough for someone to go through adding this insane murderer to the list surely isn't going to help. God Bless. Don't hesitate to get help. Sometimes you have to insist. Good luck, sorry for your seperation as well. :-(

Old 04-20-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
    MysticRayne
    (female)

MysticRayne HB User

Hello, I am so sorry for what you are going through with your separation and now the senseless horrific tradegy at VT. I can't even imagine what you must be feeling.

I have never been been on Lexapro so can't help you there. I am on Effexor and it helped with my anxiety for 1.5 years and just stopped. I cannot take any other antidepressant, they give me horrible side effects. I don't understand why they have you on Topomax???? Topomax is a drug made for migraines. I took it for a short time and had to get off cause it turned me into a VERY irritated person! Klonopin works very well for anxiety. Perhaps you could discuss that with your doc?? My best to you during this tragic time.

Last edited by MysticRayne; 04-20-2007 at 10:24 PM.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:50 AM   #4
    Dakota_Skye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kjarels View Post
    My wife and I recently separated back in December and for some reason my psych doctor asked me if I wanted to come off Zoloft so I said I would try it. Well to be honest I do not think it has been going very well and this Monday I happen to work at Virginia Tech where the mass murder took place so that added to my depression. I called my doctor and told him I think I needed to be put back on something so he wants to put me on 10 mg of Lexapro, he already has me on 100mg Topamax for anxiety which has not helped by the way, and wants to add the lexapro to that. My question before I try the lexapro is this. How many of you have tried lexapro and has it helped at all?? What kind of side effects can I expect from lexapro??

hi kjarels,
    my deepest regards for you! i am very sorry about what you have witnessed, and such an event will most definitely bring back a depressive state!!!

about the topamax, i'm on 100mg for migraines, (i also have major depression and panic/anxiety), and aside from doing something (i guess) for migraines, it doesn't do absolutely anything for anxiety--at this dosage. i know something about meds, cuz i work with people who are on lots of them...maybe at a higher dosage, i don't know...but at 100mg a day...forget it...sorry about that!!!

about lexapro, well, i guess the only reason i felt that it did not work for me was because i once tried to taper off of the effexor im currently on, and i almost managed, so the doc (while i was decreasing the effexor) put me on lexapro--for me, it was like taking candy, in that i didn't feel much at all, i was stil crying, being extremely sad, etc.... however, these may have been side effects of withdrawing from effexor.

my good friend is on lexapro and she loves it!!!! she's a bit older than i am (i'm 36, and she's 45)....she said she feels good on it, but she is on other meds as well, for her anxiety, and for pain....she has chronic pain due to a foot condition she got when she had a car accident a long time ago, and aside from taking meds for that, the drs. said she's looking forward to surgery for her foot--that's all they can do anymore....

that's all i can say about my experience, but i'm sure there are people here who have taken lexapro and who've found it very good for them.

God bless and take care of yourself!!!

p.s. i've just read the post above by mysticrayne, and i agree... i think the effexor, especially in the begining, "took care" of my panic attacks (i was afraid to get out of the house by myself, for fear of fainting on the street, b/c of the panics/extreme anxiety); and it also lifted the depression, but i've been on this medication for nine years now...and it no longer works as well as it once did!...so, i am on clonazepam/klonopin for the anxiety/panics, and this is the only drug that keeps them at bay at this point, so to speak. the only "bad" thing about it is that this drug, as all benzodiazepines, is highly addictive, and i feel that. i'm sorry i can't be of more help to you!!!

Last edited by Dakota_Skye; 04-21-2007 at 04:57 AM. Reason: added more info

Old 04-21-2007, 05:04 AM   #5
    kjarels
    (male)

kjarels HB User

The strange part about all this is that my GP doctor said I would have to stay on Zoloft the rest of my life for OCD and so did my phycharist, then why did he ask me if I wanted to come off it in the first place?? And I had never heard of anyone putting someone on a medicine for migraines for stress and anxiety.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:25 AM   #6
    Dakota_Skye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

hi again,

well, topamax (topiramate) was essentially used for seizures, but it was then found out that it had some mood stabilizing effects as well. if you do a search on this you will definitely find out about its uses. it is NOT only used for migraines!!!! it appears to have been successfully used in patients with bipolar disorder, esp. those with rapid cycling. when used as a mood stabilizer, and what i have personaly seen, is that the dosage can go up to 400mg/day, to actually achieve some effects, and in ptsd, it can go even higher. clinically, it can go as far as 500mg a day....

hope this has helped at least a little.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:27 AM   #7
    Dakota_Skye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

i wanted to add another thing.... you know, migraines are sometimes caused by stress and anxiety, so in a way, it relates to that. so, the drs. may be rigth from that point of view. just a thought...

Old 04-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #8
    honeybunners
    (female)

honeybunners HB User

Hello, I'm Sorry About Your Situation. I'am Kind Of In A Similar Situation With My Husband. We Too Are Seperated He Was The One That Left. He Is On Lexapro And It Works Very Well For Him, He Did'nt Have Any Side Effects Or Any Problems With It What So Ever. Every Medicine Is Different For Each Person, Like Myself I Know People That Are On Prozac And Doing Fine But When My Doctor Put Me On It I Felt Like I Was Going Crazy. So My Suggestion Is To At Least Try It If It Don't Work There Are Always Others To Try. I Was On Zoloff To For Many Years And After A While They Seem To Lose Their Effect So My Doctor Now Has Me On The New One Cymbalta And So Far Its Going Good. So Good Luck I Hope It All Works Out.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:45 AM   #9
    MysticRayne
    (female)

MysticRayne HB User

Prozac and any other SSRI in teh Prozac family seemed to make me feel like I was going crazy within the first few days, so quickly stopped it. Like everyone says, I think it's all trial and error to find something that at least takes the edge off. I am still very skeptical about the topomax, only because I have read that it makes many people irritable.

I am not a doctor and this is only my opinion, but one I feel strongly about - The Doctor may hand out prescription/drugs but it is YOU who makes the final decision whether you are going to take it, try it, or not. Everytime I get a new script, I research it as much as possible on the internet, especially what people with experience have to say about it, perhaps try it myself, and if it doesn't work, makes me feel worse, I toss it out. You know yourself better than anyone else. But never give up trying to help yourself. My best to you.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
    dompierre5
    Inactive
    (female)

dompierre5 HB User

Hi,
    My advice is if it works don't fix it. If the Zoloft helped you in the past, request to have it again. I have been put on it for depression/anxiety and was told it would help with the anxiety. It has helped with both.
    Godd Luck to you!

Old 04-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
    quiet storm
    (male)

quiet storm HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ILiveForMyKIDS View Post
    NO TO LEXAPRO. I was on it and it is the worst drug on the planet. My wife was on it. WORST Drug. I would highly recommend prozac. The only reason they don't push prozac so much, is it no longer has a patent, and the medical field can't charge you rediculous amounts of money for it. Lexapro is bad. Sorry that you were so involved in the Virginia Tech. It's been hard on the country, and that's without even being in the middle of it. I would talk about getting on xanax or something. I used to be for the antidepressants. I'm not so much for them. I would find a good therapist or friends or church or someone. A divorce is more then enough for someone to go through adding this insane murderer to the list surely isn't going to help. God Bless. Don't hesitate to get help. Sometimes you have to insist. Good luck, sorry for your seperation as well. :-(
    Um.....it was the worst drug FOR YOU! Lexapro has been a Godsend for me and for plenty of other folks.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #12
    Dakota_Skye
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dakota_Skye HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MysticRayne View Post
    Everytime I get a new script, I research it as much as possible on the internet, especially what people with experience have to say about it, perhaps try it myself, and if it doesn't work, makes me feel worse, I toss it out. You know yourself better than anyone else. But never give up trying to help yourself. My best to you.
    that's exactly what i do, before i take anything new!!!!!

Old 04-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
    sunshine0806
    (female)

sunshine0806 HB User

I've done well with Lexapro overall - been taking 10mg since November. Your doctor may have brought up going off Zoloft because most people don't want to be on medications long-term if they can help it. There are still so many unknowns concerning SSRI's and most of the other popular anti-depressants, especially when it comes to long-term use. Perhaps your doc thought you'd reached a place where you no longer needed AD's. For the past six weeks or so, I've felt much more stable, like my old self. I'd like to discuss going off Lexapro at my next appt., though my doctor is of the opinion that if it's making you feel better, don't stop taking it. When it comes to meds, I believe in only taking what's completely necessary. I was prescribed sleeping meds several years ago, for what was to be a temporary time. I'm still taking them now because I've found I can't sleep without them. I cut down the dose, but still can't completely do without them. My doctor has no problem with this, but I hate knowing I can't sleep without medicine.

I'd give Lexapro a try. I haven't experienced any side effects with it except some tiredness initially, and a small weight gain. If you find it doesn't work for you, I would not just throw it out, though. Unless you've only been taking it for a couple of days, don't try to go off the medicine on your own. I recently went through a horrible wean-off experience with Lexapro (granted I've been taking it several months). I'm back to taking 10mg and won't attempt anymore weaning experiments w/o talking to my doctor first. I just hope we can come to some kind of agreement on this - I definitely don't want to be a life-long AD user.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #14
    kjarels
    (male)

kjarels HB User

Well I first went on Paxil CR back on 2003, and I went from 235 to 275 in about a year and went to Zoloft and only gained a few lbs but could not get it off. I am now over 280 lbs. which is causing even more depression. I am an ex football player used to be a weight lifter and seeing my weight balloon up like this is just unbelievable. This is another reason I am worried about going on Lexapro and I heard going off lexapro is a nightmare.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:34 PM   #15
    quiet storm
    (male)

quiet storm HB User

Did you have problems going off paxil? I only ask because because paxil has a much much worse reputation for withdrawals than lexapro. Lexapro isnt even in the top 3 that have a big reputation for bad withdrawals. That would be effexor, cymbalta, and paxil. It sounds like you're already writing the lexapro off before you evened started it. I believe you have to want the medication to work to get the most benefit. I honestly believe the same reason that wonder drug placebo works for some folks is also the same reason why alot of medications dont "seem" to work for some people. Because you have your mind set that it just isnt going to work. The mind is a powerful thing.

I havent gained a pound since I've been on lexapro. Of course, these medications treat everybody different.

BTW, I'd take anything you read on the net about these medications with a grain of salt. You arent getting the full spectrum of people experiences. All you ever hear about are the problems mostly. When people have problems they go looking for answers. People who are doing great on these medications arent coming on here to tell you how great they are doing.

Last edited by quiet storm; 04-21-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Closed Thread