It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• cymbalta/side effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
    julie39180
    (female)

julie39180 HB User
    Question cymbalta/side effects

hello everyone,
    i have been on cymbalta 60 mg. for a week now and the side efeects are horrible... i have the dry mouth, cant eat, sleep, staying real tired, nausa and upset stomache, no energy and just wanna lay around and go to bed, no sex drive, feel BLA..... anyone else feel like this and how long did it take for the side effects to go away???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
    warmbreeze
    (female)

warmbreeze HB Userwarmbreeze HB User
    Re: cymbalta/side effects

I'm not on Cymbalta, but just talked to a friend that has been on it for 1 1/2 years. She said you have to commit to 2 to 3 months and not give up. I know everyone is different, but she said the dry mouth thing lasted for her only a week. I also read someone else's thread that said they take it at night to avoid the tiredness during the day. The nausea part would be the hard one for me as I hate nausea more than pain. Maybe get some anti nausea meds to get you through it. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #3
    roxyhagen
    (female)

roxyhagen HB User

hi julie, i am on cymbalta and have been for ages, like over a year, and i am at 90mg, i take it in the morning after breakfast but sometimes i forget and take it when ever i remeber during the day. i can't remember what it felt like intially when i started it, but i think i was coming off of something else. but as long as you go up slowly it should be ok, i think i started on 30 for maybe a week or two then 60 for two then 90, and i have been at 90 for a long time, i am also on lamictal at night 200mg of that. i really like cymbalta, as much as you can with a drug. but i have been trying to find out more about it, i have gained a lot of weight but i think thats because of diet and no exercise.
    as the doctors i see all tell me it doesn't cause weight gain, and i see a therapist, a nurse pract, and a general doctor.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
    warmbreeze
    (female)

warmbreeze HB Userwarmbreeze HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roxyhagen View Post
    hi julie, i am on cymbalta and have been for ages, like over a year, and i am at 90mg, i take it in the morning after breakfast but sometimes i forget and take it when ever i remeber during the day. i can't remember what it felt like intially when i started it, but i think i was coming off of something else. but as long as you go up slowly it should be ok, i think i started on 30 for maybe a week or two then 60 for two then 90, and i have been at 90 for a long time, i am also on lamictal at night 200mg of that. i really like cymbalta, as much as you can with a drug. but i have been trying to find out more about it, i have gained a lot of weight but i think thats because of diet and no exercise.
    as the doctors i see all tell me it doesn't cause weight gain, and i see a therapist, a nurse pract, and a general doctor.

Roxyhagen, when you say your weight gain is from your diet and lack of excercise, did your diet change from the way it was before you gained the weight? The reason I ask is that my daughter is considering Cymbalta. She went off Effexor because of the weight gain. If she gains more weight from Cymbalta she will be even more depressed. The only thing that didn't make her gain weight was Welbutrin, but that made her hair thin.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
    julie39180
    (female)

julie39180 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: cymbalta/side effects

Quote:
    Originally Posted by warmbreeze View Post
    Roxyhagen, when you say your weight gain is from your diet and lack of excercise, did your diet change from the way it was before you gained the weight? The reason I ask is that my daughter is considering Cymbalta. She went off Effexor because of the weight gain. If she gains more weight from Cymbalta she will be even more depressed. The only thing that didn't make her gain weight was Welbutrin, but that made her hair thin.
    hello,
    i have actually lost 10 lbs. the first week of taking it, and i have lost another 2 lbs. this week. i have only been on it for 2 weeks. i have no appite and thats great considering, im overweight.. so thats a plus for me. the side effects are starting to ease up.. of course it has messed with my sex drive, cant seem to get a orgazime.... suxs!!! i do have trouble sleeping to, i wake all during the night... sometimes in the after noon i do get very tired and feel drained... cant wait until thats gone, but its coming along, so i just have to give it time and hang in there.... hope this info. helps.....

Old 05-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
    julie39180
    (female)

julie39180 HB User
    Talking Re: cymbalta/side effects

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roxyhagen View Post
    this is my second time on cymbalta, i was on it for 6 months and it stopped working for me and since then everything else i was on didnt work so i decided to give it another try... i didnt know that u could take over 60 mg.... when i took it before that was the highest dosage they would give me, could have been because it was a fairly new drug??? hmmmm????

Old 05-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
    bizzyfingers
    (female)

bizzyfingers HB User

Hi You All - I just started 30 mg of Cymbalta yesterday. I had been taking 300 mg of Wellbutrin XL before the switch. A few times yesterday, I felt a little weird, almost like I could just lose it, but yet I really was not nervous. It just felt like my brain was too full or something....Today, I feel a little bit better, except a little on the tired side. I sure hope this works for me - I was starting to feel a little panicky on the Wellbutrin. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:38 PM   #8
    c57s53
    (female)

c57s53 HB User

I am currently being weaned off Zoloft to start on Cymbalta. i have Lupus, Fibromyalgia, Diabetes and Peripheral Neuropathy, and since Cymbalta was just approved for Diabetic Neuropathy my Rheumatologist wanted me to change prescriptions. I am not feeling very well at all with the withdrawels from the Zoloft so i pray to God that the Cymbalta doesn't cause a lot of nasty symptoms. I just sold my house and will be very busy in the next 6 weeks so i want to feel good, not bad! I hope these withdrawel symptoms from Zoloft soon end. I have such a nasty headache, my eyeballs hurt, i have sharp pain in my head, lightheadedness, naseau and I just want to go to sleep until it is all over with.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
    froggyfog
    (female)

froggyfog HB User

I have FM and some depression related to being in chronic pain. I am on Cymbalta 90 mg.

It is normally not Rx over 60 mg but some research has shown a higher dose works with FM and it is safe so my doctor has finally got me to the higher dose.

I have not had any problems with Cymbalta....when on Effexor I gained a lot of weight...and Wellburtin(sp) I was very irritable.

The only side effect I have had was dry mouth and I get water with me to help with that....I didn't drink enough water anyway...most of us don't .

Anyway hope my reply can help you.

Froggyfog

Old 05-16-2007, 12:33 AM   #10
    cherrudy11805
    (female)

cherrudy11805 HB User
    Wink Re: cymbalta/side effects

Quote:
    Originally Posted by julie39180 View Post
    hello everyone,
    i have been on cymbalta 60 mg. for a week now and the side efeects are horrible... i have the dry mouth, cant eat, sleep, staying real tired, nausa and upset stomache, no energy and just wanna lay around and go to bed, no sex drive, feel BLA..... anyone else feel like this and how long did it take for the side effects to go away???
    Wish I could answer that for sure but everyone is different. I had all those symptoms and they upped me to 90 mg. I have fibromyalgia and Multiple Sclerosis. I've been on it for about 9 months, the increased dose is for pain with with the other diseases. If I screw up and miss a dose for a couple days, I get the dry mouth but that's my fault. I had all you same symptoms and they are all gone except no sex drive but I never did have one of those.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:36 AM   #11
    cherrudy11805
    (female)

cherrudy11805 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by froggyfog View Post
    I have FM and some depression related to being in chronic pain. I am on Cymbalta 90 mg.

It is normally not Rx over 60 mg but some research has shown a higher dose works with FM and it is safe so my doctor has finally got me to the higher dose.

I have not had any problems with Cymbalta....when on Effexor I gained a lot of weight...and Wellburtin(sp) I was very irritable.

The only side effect I have had was dry mouth and I get water with me to help with that....I didn't drink enough water anyway...most of us don't .

Anyway hope my reply can help you.

Froggyfog
    Hi Froggy met you elsewhere,I think/. I have Fibro,too. I love Cymbalta for depression but doesn't help. Des it help you?

Old 05-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #12
    froggyfog
    (female)

froggyfog HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cherrudy11805 View Post
    Hi Froggy met you elsewhere,I think/. I have Fibro,too. I love Cymbalta for depression but doesn't help. Des it help you?

I have visited the MS site for my husband...maybe that is where you recongize my name??

I can't really tell if it helps or not....my depression seems to be real situational based on what is going on in my life...Right now...between my illness and my husbands plus having two teenagers...I think I am pretty much Stressed/Depressed and my anixety cup has spilled over. LOL

Froggyfog

Closed Thread