It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• What do you do when you can't sleep?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
    ExTra111
    Inactive
    (female)

ExTra111 HB User
    What do you do when you can't sleep?

So what do you do when you can't sleep? Counting sheep? Hot chocolate? Rolling in your bed? I have tried absolutely everything I can think of or been suggested... I feel extermely tired, so I go to bed, but as soon as I get into my bed, the tiredness is gone... Why is it so hard to just get a decent night of sleep? Isn't it the basic right we deserve as human being? I miss the time where I could get off to sleep within 5mins anywhere at anytime... I guess I will be able to by the end of the week, but they won't be a sleep, that will be a pass out...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User
    Re: What do you do when you can't sleep?

have you tried reading? or t.v?

Old 07-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
    ExTra111
    Inactive
    (female)

ExTra111 HB User

reading makes me go shaky and anxious, so no... I can't read anyway...
    TV, also boring music or whatever, yes, it could make me feel sleepy, but then as soon as I close my eyes properly, the feeling of sleepy goes right away... I am weird, am I?

Old 07-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Hi: I hear reading is really good. Watching tv and going on the computer makes your brain work which you don't want. Avoid anything that has caffine or sugar in it. I have read if you can not fall asleep in ten minutes to get up and do something else until you feel tired again.

take care
    trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 07-02-2007, 01:38 AM   #5
    Rosie the 3rd
    (female)

Rosie the 3rd HB User

Nytol works well for me.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:19 AM   #6
    ChaosAD
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ChaosAD HB User

When I can't sleep, which has been off and on lately, here some stuff I do:

1. Read - This is my first option I always turn to. I have found that reading just anything doesn't work. Usually I can read my current book, but sometimes I just need something a short attention span can deal with like Sport Illustrated or something.

2. Hot bath or shower - This always relaxes me and helps me sleep.

3. TV - I know ppl say not to, but for me at times I can just turn it on in bed and fall asleep to it. I set the timer so it shuts itself off.

4. Music - Same thing as the tv. Basically turn on the radio by the bed and fall asleep to relaxing low lvl music.

5. I will sometimes use a herbal spray on the pillows or bed. I use one of eucalyptus and something. Usually i use it for headaches, but since it helps relax me i use it to help sleep.

6. Keep a notebook by the bed to write all the thoughts going through your head. I know for me one of my worst habits is having stuff race through my head before trying to fall asleep. I can never sleep with all those thoughts so using a notebook to write them down helps get them out of my head.

I've always been told if all else fails, never just lay in bed staring at the ceiling. If you have tried unsuccessfully and still can't fall asleep then get up and do something an come back in like 10-15 minutes and try again. It seems the more you just lay there the more awake I get and the harder it is to eventually fall asleep.

Last edited by ChaosAD; 07-02-2007 at 07:19 AM.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:55 PM   #7
    Alex6657
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Alex6657 HB User

I read and just take sleep as I get it. However, I do have the luxury of being able to do that as I'm not working.

I've heard that for some people camomille tea helps to relax them. I've used a tea called "Sleepy Time"... take a cup to bed with me and drink it while I read (I have to read before I go to sleep; I've always done it and it's become a habit). You could also try a hot bath with some epsom salts or lavender bath salts/bubble bath added. Both are supposed to be very good for relaxation and I've actually had success with both on occasion (separate occasions; I don't mix the two). That's about all I can think of at the moment. I wish you luck.

Closed Thread