It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• lexapro and HUGE weight gain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
    sophiekaris
    (female)

sophiekaris HB User
    lexapro and HUGE weight gain

Ok i started lexapro about 1 and 1.5 months ago. At first I lost about 10 pounds and felt so good. I finally felt my life was on track and my anxiety and my temper were controlled. Then I started to stack on weight. I have been looking for a job I havent been eating bad and have been going to the gym I went from 145 Pounds to now 160 in just 1 month. I dont understand where all this weight is coming from. My breasts have enlarged quite alot and my hunger has become more apparent. Im sure this is due to the lexapro. I have read many forums and alot of people have had the same trouble. I am just so sad that I feel good and my relationship is so good at the moment and now i want to taper down my dose and come off it because I am gaining so much weight I am on 10MG and now I have started 5MG as of today then slowely come off it. I really dont want to but I feel that I have no choice. Has anyone expirienced this kind of weight gain from lexapro? I am really upset about this

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #2
    luckygem13
    Veteran
    (female)

luckygem13 HB User
    Re: lexapro and HUGE weight gain

Yes, so I switched to the Emsam patch. There is no weight gain side effect with it. The pounds just came off without even trying when I went on the patch, love it.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
    sons2
    (female)

sons2 HB User

I also had a BIG weight gain on Lexapro.......I gained 38 lbs in 4 months!! I felt wonderful though.

Doc said I had to start weaning off and start Wellbutrin............so far my depression has started coming back.......

Blessings to you dear!

sons2

Old 07-05-2007, 05:50 AM   #4
    Myspirit4
    (female)

Myspirit4 HB User

I also gained weight on Lexapro (10mg)..about 10 pounds. I have started to taper off now after having been on it since last October. What I did notice while being on it is my appetite was ravenous, craving carbs and sweets. Now that I am down to 5mg., I've noticed my cravings subsiding...though no weight loss yet!

Old 07-10-2007, 05:08 AM   #5
    pam83
    (female)

pam83 HB User

hello Sophiekaris,
    i was to in the same situation as yourself and i can tell you that weight gain is part of the parcel even though we burn our fats of,the medication controls eatting habits etc now your dropping down the mg slowerly you will find the weight fall of and then you will feel GREAT again about yourself so be proud your obviously doing better than what you think congratulations your nearly there pam 83.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:41 AM   #6
    mycatwillow
    (female)

mycatwillow HB User

Hi,

What do you do when you go the gym? Could you add to your cardio possibly?

I haven't tried lexapro, but I did gain weight on Remeron, 14 pounds in 6 months. I started going to the gym 4 times a week instead of 3, and I lost 4 - 7 pounds (I hovered between 137 and 140 for 5 years).

Old 07-16-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
    hamstachick
    (female)

hamstachick HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Myspirit4 View Post
    I also gained weight on Lexapro (10mg)..about 10 pounds. I have started to taper off now after having been on it since last October. What I did notice while being on it is my appetite was ravenous, craving carbs and sweets. Now that I am down to 5mg., I've noticed my cravings subsiding...though no weight loss yet!

So anyone gain weight with 5mgs?

Old 10-15-2007, 06:04 AM   #8
    pam83
    (female)

pam83 HB User
    Question Re: lexapro and HUGE weight gain

Luckyjem 13.
    i must say i have never heard of the patches was wondering are they avaliable in australia?thank you for sharring that it was interesting information cheers pam83.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:16 PM   #9
    lunalu
    (female)

lunalu HB User

My Dr. just prescribed Lexapro for depression/menopause for me, now I'm afraid to take it. I also take HRT. Is there anyone out there that has had a good experience with Lexapro? I could not take the weight gain, but depression is haunting me.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #10
    sunshine0806
    (female)

sunshine0806 HB User

I wouldn't go off it just because you're gaining some weight. The weight gain will probably slow or stop after a couple months or so. Your body is just adjusting to the change. I didn't gain any weight when I started off on 10mg. After a few months on that dose, my doctor suggested going up to 15mg because I'd gone through a bad event, worsening my depression. Then, I began to gain weight because it made me really groggy, so much so that I was in a daze and could barely function. I went back down to 10mg after a few days and promptly lost the weight. Lexapro does increase my appetite majorly, but it also gives me the motivation to be active and go out and do things. Maybe you should try eating better and exercising more before going off Lexapro altogether. If it's working for you, that's a great thing because it's often difficult for people to find the right medication for them.

Overall, I think I've gained a few pounds, though the scales do not reflect it. My pants don't fit. I had to buy all new ones. I've seemed to gain some weight in my belly and legs. I know you prolly don't want to hear this, but I've always been slightly underweight and the weight gain has been good for me. I just wish it was dispersed more equally throughout my body. I'm afraid when I am off it (I've weaned it down to 5mg because I'm doing much better and Lexapro does deplete my energy fairly quickly), I'll shed the pounds. I lose weight very easily. But, I haven't noticed a weight change yet. Of course, I'm trying to maintain my weight rather than lose any. If you feel that 5mg is enough for you and you're not gaining weight on that dose, then I would stick with that. Though, I would think that dealing with depression would be your most important issue right now - you should take care of that, then deal with the weight issue. If you are like me, once your depression has lessened, you'll have more energy to really go out and burn those calories.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:25 AM   #11
    pam83
    (female)

pam83 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunshine0806 View Post
    I wouldn't go off it just because you're gaining some weight. The weight gain will probably slow or stop after a couple months or so. Your body is just adjusting to the change. I didn't gain any weight when I started off on 10mg. After a few months on that dose, my doctor suggested going up to 15mg because I'd gone through a bad event, worsening my depression. Then, I began to gain weight because it made me really groggy, so much so that I was in a daze and could barely function. I went back down to 10mg after a few days and promptly lost the weight. Lexapro does increase my appetite majorly, but it also gives me the motivation to be active and go out and do things. Maybe you should try eating better and exercising more before going off Lexapro altogether. If it's working for you, that's a great thing because it's often difficult for people to find the right medication for them.

Overall, I think I've gained a few pounds, though the scales do not reflect it. My pants don't fit. I had to buy all new ones. I've seemed to gain some weight in my belly and legs. I know you prolly don't want to hear this, but I've always been slightly underweight and the weight gain has been good for me. I just wish it was dispersed more equally throughout my body. I'm afraid when I am off it (I've weaned it down to 5mg because I'm doing much better and Lexapro does deplete my energy fairly quickly), I'll shed the pounds. I lose weight very easily. But, I haven't noticed a weight change yet. Of course, I'm trying to maintain my weight rather than lose any. If you feel that 5mg is enough for you and you're not gaining weight on that dose, then I would stick with that. Though, I would think that dealing with depression would be your most important issue right now - you should take care of that, then deal with the weight issue. If you are like me, once your depression has lessened, you'll have more energy to really go out and burn those calories.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:40 AM   #12
    pam83
    (female)

pam83 HB User
    Cool Re: lexapro and HUGE weight gain

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pam83 View Post
    glad for you that weight gain hasnt really been a problem for you every body is different we keep in mind as things work for some and not the other cheers pam83.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #13
    pam83
    (female)

pam83 HB User
    Cool Re: lexapro and HUGE weight gain

[QUOTE=pam83 maybe you need to have further talk with your doctor as he will advise you correctly as in previous post i said and sure you would agree everyone is different our tollerence and side affects vary in different ways to get opinion is ok but i would talk with doc maybe then you will feel comfortable its certainly wouldnt be a good feeling having to deal with the change certainly would not be helping you either mood swings etc hay?as i going through that at present yes indeed it is not fun thats for sure,i hope you are feeling better by now though thank you for your reply it actually took me a while to find the post but iam getting use to it now i hope you have happier days ahead see a lot of people believe exercise and you dont gain weight-but some do exercise eat right and still put on weight see it depends on the individual themself we all react differently its not the same for everyone always cheers pam83.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #14
    horsenut
    (female)

horsenut HB User

Ham...sorry I can't spell. You are absolutely 100% right about Lexapro. I have been off it for 16 days and my appetite is way down, have lost 9 pounds, not bragging just verifying. The SSRIs cause some mechanism whereby the body does not register carbo intake as well. I read extensively the research but I'm too stupid to remember ARGHH! There is something about H2 uptake, just wish I had written it down, that it affects.

I also know from my own "trials" of going off it at last 6 tmies in the past, lasted only a few days, but my appetite just went back up go gonzo carbos level once I got back on it.

Off of Lexapro, I have no desire at all for potato chips or spaghetti. I do need chocolate as usual. But I am so relieved to be without those cravings.

Good luck on your journey. You are stronger than you know.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:46 PM   #15
    horsenut
    (female)

horsenut HB User

Lunalu, Lexapro is a very good drug, really relieves the depression well without side effects. My weight gain is probably more cumulative from years of being brainwashed into take psych drugs, with a little help from the media which has made us feel we should be bubbly happy all the time.

If I were ever severely depressed or even moderately depressed again, I would take Lexapro without a problem and feel safe in doing so. I just cannot lose weight on it.

When I do lose the weight, I may even go back on a very small dose, no more than 2.5 mg, as I want to be able to go off it easily.

Closed Thread