It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Lexapro and serious weight gain!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #1
    sons2
    (female)

sons2 HB User
    Lexapro and serious weight gain!

Hi to all,

I know I'm beating a dead horse here...........but I have gained 38 lbs in 4 months while taking Lexapro! Although I loved it, felt great, I can't deal with the weight issue, neither can my Doc.

He just weaned me off, put me on Wellbutrin 300 mg.......my question is anybody getting the Lexapro weight off?

Thanks for any info.....
    sons2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
    teresa2007
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teresa2007 HB User
    Re: Lexapro and serious weight gain!

No, unfornately im not but i am very very stressed all the time so im sure that doesnt help.Tee

Old 07-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
    plasva
    Veteran
    (female)

plasva HB User

Hi,
    I too gained weight on Lexapro, but I admit I continued to eat plenty of junk food (which I could do before the Lex, without gaining weight, but on the Lex, no such luck!).
    I went off Lexapro about 1.5 years ago (slowly, to avoid side effects and a return of depression). At that point, the weight gain pretty much stopped (I've only gained 1 or 2 pounds in the past year-and-a-half.)
    I read an article recently that said weight gain from Lexapro is due to how it affects hormones (probably true) and is due to water weight (a load of nonsense!)
    However, I didn't LOSE any of what I gained until just the last few weeks-- I joined a gym, have been working out EVERY day (except one due to leg cramps) and have completely changed the way I eat (much healthier!) and have already lost 3 pounds. So don't lose hope... I think you'll be able to lose the weight now that you're off the Lexapro, but it might take exercise and healthy eating. It's possible you'll continue to gain on Wellbutrin (a friend of mine gains on any SSRI, even Wellbutrin), but hopefully you won't.
    If you're not used to exercising, start out SLOWLY to avoid soreness, leg cramps, and fatigue. Slowly build up greater speed and the length of the workout. Talk to your doctor before starting a new exercise program.
    I hope you're doing well; don't lose hope!,
    Plas.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
    hamstachick
    (female)

hamstachick HB User

Wow, ok, how many people HAVE gained weight on Lexapro and could it be from snacking or what? Also, what mgs. would you have to take for that to happen?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #5
    lindseygriffin
    (female)

lindseygriffin HB User

Ive been on lexapro for years and with diet and exercise I lost 45 pounds. I had no idea lexapro "makes you gain weight." You might want to just pay closer attention to what your eating and make sure you get excercise.

Closed Thread