It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• using Prozac To Stop Zoloft Withdrawal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
    Davidoff
    (male)

Davidoff HB User
    using Prozac To Stop Zoloft Withdrawal

Ive decided to stop using zoloft because im over my depression and im sick of the side effects like weight gain reduced libido and slowed down metabolism, My original dosage was 50mg ive been on it for 6 months, I cut down to 25mg for one week then down to 12.5 for one week but when i stopped i still got withdrawal symptoms, there is no way im touching zoloft again. yesterday i went and got prozac and poped a tablet last night because i heard it stops withdrawal. I still feel like crap today. i dont know if its withdrawal from zoloft or if its because i took the prozac. confused.please people who reply make sure you dont fear monger im sick of hearing it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
    Kiasmama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiasmama HB User
    Re: using Prozac To Stop Zoloft Withdrawal

I had two experiences coming off zoloft (for the same reasons as you) Once I did the tapering like you...and the other time I stopped cold from 25mg. I am by NO means recommending that way, but honestly the withdrawal was better with the cold way. IT lasted for about two days, then I was fine.

I'm not sure why, but tapering just seemed to make the symptoms last much longer....well over a week...if not two. I think with either way you are going to have some symptoms.

As far as taking the prozac, that might make your symptoms a bit better cause I think they are both ssri. But...you are just putting in your body what you are trying to get rid of...so...doesn't make sense to take that, imo. Good luck.

Last edited by Kiasmama; 10-09-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
    Davidoff
    (male)

Davidoff HB User

Yeah i agree, Anti deppressants are useless. depression can be handled without meds in my opinion , Its all to make money, People use one dose of prozac to stop ssri withdrawal alot l

Last edited by moderator2; 10-09-2007 at 06:19 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 10-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

This is a bit harsh for this site. There are many people on anti-depressnts that truly need them.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
    Davidoff
    (male)

Davidoff HB User

To be honest i used to think like that , i thought i would never be off anti depresants, But there really is nothing a bit of sunshine and exercising everyday wont fix.

Last edited by Davidoff; 10-09-2007 at 05:54 PM.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
    Kiasmama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiasmama HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davidoff View Post
    Yeah i agree, Anti deppressants are useless. depression can be handled without meds in my opinion , Its all to make money, People use one dose of prozac to stop ssri withdrawal alot l
    I wouldn't say that at all. For many people ADs are a life saver. Just because some can stay out of the clutches without meds doesn't mean everyone does. We are all wired differently.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #7
    Davidoff
    (male)

Davidoff HB User

Yeah well i feel sorry for anyone who has to take these drugs for the rest of there lives

Old 10-10-2007, 06:18 AM   #8
    sgt207
    (male)

sgt207 HB User

I came off of zoloft in 2003 after being on it since 1998. I weaned down to 3 or 4 mg's and still suffered horrible withdrawal [see my previous posts]. I was re-started on a small amount in the fall of 2003. In 2005 I started weaning down again - this time down to 1mg per day, then smaller pieces every day for about six months, then the same small crumbs every other day, every third day, fourth, fifth, weekly, then I stopped completely about a month ago. This time, very minimal withdrawal. It took over two years to wean down but I think it's important to do it very slowly. People need to be careful though on the every other day routine with some of the other drugs like effexor which leaves you in a constant state of withdrawal.

Another option to do is use the Zoloft liquid, that way you can decrease the daily amount carefully.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #9
    dinney
    Veteran
    (female)

dinney HB User

I finally got an appointment with a psychiatrist for help with medications and she was WONDERFUL. My MD had put me on 37.5 mg of effexor and after several months (and he tried to up me to 75 mg. WHOA, didn't work for me). My psyc. put me on prozac 10 mg. along with the effexor and each week for 4 weeks I up the prozac by 10 mg. and by week 3 start weaning off the effexor so praying this helps with the horrible stories I have read about getting off effexor. Wish me luck that this all works for me..

Good luck to all of those who NEED a little help with our lives !

Closed Thread