It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Do Depressing Songs Make you Depressed?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
    CSense
    (female)

CSense HB User
    Do Depressing Songs Make you Depressed?

I have been thinking to myself whether some of the songs I listen to are catalysts for my depression. I think I should get rid of those CDs that are depressing and keep those that are uplifting and fun. The problem is that I tend to like songs that skew toward the odd and melancholy so that means most of my music collection would be gone.

What are your thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
    Roche87
    (male)

Roche87 HB User
    Re: Do Depressing Songs Make you Depressed?

No, not really...not at all

Old 10-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
    NVD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NVD HB User

Hi...I think that ESPECIALLY if one is the emotional type...music can affect the moods. I am this way...all the way...but it swings both ways. I can put on some disco, have a cup of coffee, and my house will be spotless. I can put on some Enya type music, and most times, become very relaxed. If I hear a song that is sad, or reminds me of a sad time...it seems the mood quickly follows. I wouldn't get rid of your music...maybe just change the mood of it, if you start to feel yourself getting down.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
    forever87
    (female)

forever87 HB User

I think that depressing songs can add to depression, and in the media you hear of people who have killed themselves because of a certain song, but I think in reality, it has little effect unless the listner wants it to, or feels directly realted/connected to the song. When my depression was really bad, I used to feel so connected to a song and it really did make me feel worse, but in another way it comforted me alot back then. After hearing it recently, it did bring back memories of the time I was suffering but it didn't make me feel depressed as i'd expected it would.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:56 PM   #5
    jimmyhonda
    (male)

jimmyhonda HB User

Absolutely.

Even watching sad films/ movies can make your day miserable. I'm that emotional type of guy. It's hard to avoid listening to those sad music or watching sad/romatic movies because it feels "comfortable" that way.

Doing so will make me want to daydream or imagine stuff in my mind.

I was listening to a song in my car which is about a guy who bumped into his ex-girlfriend at a grocery store, and they got so excited to see each other again and relinguish the past times together.

I still can't get that song out of my mind. I keep imagining or thinking to myself what it will be like if I actually did bump into a classmate back at highschool...What would I do and what would I say etc.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:32 AM   #6
    xxxzoexxx
    Inactive
    (female)

xxxzoexxx HB User

sad songs can make you cry, but crying can be benefical. I'm not sure if they will make you more depressed, but i find they let out my tears and give me relief.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
    Phoenix
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Dear CS,

Whilst in the throws of depression, many will tend to gravitate towards the familiar.

More often than not(IMO) sad songs come from a place of deep introspection and pain; intense emotions.

Take care.

Phoenix

Old 10-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
    stuckmissy
    Veteran
    (female)

stuckmissy HB User

Sad songs do not make me depressed. When I feel good I can appreciate the strong emotions in the songs, and even sympathize. It may slow me down for the moment I am hearing and thinking of the song. This is the same as when I am watching a sad sappy movie. However when it is over it is over and I can find my own balance.

BUT!!!!!! When I am already down, a sad song can instantly change my mood and it has longer lasting effects. Also I agree with the poster who commented that we tend to gravitate towards that. I will actually pick out the sad songs to listen to when I am down. Unwisely feeding my own misery I guess. And true sometimes it can be a nice release for all my bent up emotions and feelings.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #9
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Hi:

For the most part I find songs are just a trigger to what is really taking place. I have a particular song in mind that has the abiity to cause me some dispair and it is not the artist who holds the power. The reason for the emotion is that it was my wedding song so it reminds me of my exwife which is a reason for discomfort. The only way for a piece of music to truely connect is to identify with the message the musician is telling and by doing so you are linking it with someone or a specific event. An artist may say my pet crocidile died yesterday and to the majority of people it is not going to connect but if you had a pet crocidile who died chances are your about to be hit with the emotional hammer. People who listen to the same song repeatedly before killing themselves a lot of time believe the song was written about them and almost feel obligated to finish the story. Ozzy was sued by a couple of parents because their son killed himself after listening to an Ozzy song repeatedly for a hundred times or so, of course they lost the lawsuit, when Ozzy was asked later about it and his reply was basically to listen to the same song over and over for that long of a time must mean it was a damn good song.

take care
    trg247

Old 10-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #10
    janart
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janart HB User

Well for me it just depends on what mood I'm in. If I'm feeling cruddy and sad then I stay away from the sad music or just don't listen to anything. But I will say I'm rarely in such a good mood that I turn the radio on in the house. I would rather hear the t.v. going. Kinda strange to me actually. Alot of songs take me to a bad place. But some certain songs take me back to a time when I was strong and confident.Before my Mom and Grandmother got sick and my depression set in. Good question!!

Closed Thread