It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Nardil

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-19-2007, 09:26 AM   #1
    Millstein
    (female)

Millstein HB User
    Nardil

Has anyone here taken Nardil? If so, did it help? I am currently on Effexor 300mg, but it is not working. Nardil is supposed to be my next medication to try after I get off the Effexor in a few more weeks. I don't like what I have read about Nardil though. Apparently, back in 2003, Nardil was reformulated and many of the original ingredients changed. From what I have read, this "new" Nardil is not as effective as the original and has much worse side effects. I haven't been able to find any information on if this problem has since been corrected. As far as I can tell, the original Nardil no longer exists. Has anyone had any experience with this medication? Thanks, Millstein

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
    Re: Nardil

HI:

I started Nardil a little less then a month ago and I am not overly impressed with it. Along with the period where you have to be basically drug free for two to three weeks before you start it is not a fun experience. Nardil has some pretty nasty drug interactions and to some degree some not to nice food interactions, mind you the food interactions were not nearly as bad as they said. Nardil like most MAOI's is a last resort as in you have tried darn near every other med in the book for good reason. Oh if for what ever the reason you start an MAOI there is another cleansing out period for two to three weeks before you can start another med of a different class. Effexor and Nardil mixed is very capable of sending your blood pressure through the roof possible causing heart failure. Like I said explore every other class before coming to this one. As the difference between the old and the new version I have neard heard about it before all I know is almost a month in and its like I am not taking any antidepressant at all. Hope this helps

take care
    trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 11-19-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
    Re: Nardil

sorry should have added this. Apparently the MAOI patch is the safest bet in this class as the drug and food interactions are much lower but it is also quite expensive I think.

take care
    trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Closed Thread