It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Lexapro side effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
    Juby
    (female)

Juby HB User
    Question Lexapro side effects

I started taking Lexapro about five months ago, 10mg, and I have been feeling worse all the time. I put Lexapro side effects in the search engine and I couldn't believe all the side effects of the drug, while taking it and trying to go off of it. A lot of which I have. I've read that it is a very dangerous drug so I am going off of it but really suffering in the process. The doctor has switched me to Celexa after trying to assure me that the Lexapro wasn't causing my symptoms. I told him I didn't want to take it so I am now taking Celexa and Xanax while trying to taper off of the Lexapro. Has anyone else had a bad experience with Lexapro?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
    ebrena
    Veteran
    (female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User
    Re: Lexapro side effects

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Juby View Post
    I started taking Lexapro about five months ago, 10mg, and I have been feeling worse all the time. I put Lexapro side effects in the search engine and I couldn't believe all the side effects of the drug, while taking it and trying to go off of it. A lot of which I have. I've read that it is a very dangerous drug so I am going off of it but really suffering in the process. The doctor has switched me to Celexa after trying to assure me that the Lexapro wasn't causing my symptoms. I told him I didn't want to take it so I am now taking Celexa and Xanax while trying to taper off of the Lexapro. Has anyone else had a bad experience with Lexapro?
    Yes. It's awful as are most of the SSRI's. The only one I have taken that has ot put me into major withdrawl is Prozac and that is because it stays in your system long after stopping. Lexapro (Cipralex in Canada) is terrible, if you don't take it every 24 hours you begin your nightmare. Dizzy, zings in your head as well an almost flu like feeling. I hate it, but I am on 10mg. Have tried to wean myself off over the past few days by taking Prozac while coming off Cipralex and wow, didn't like it so back on it again. I don't know how to go off them I guess grain by grain. I have also taken Celexa and it has bad withdrawls Efexor and Paxil are the worst however. Yuk, I hate having to take any of it but I hibernate without something especially in the winter months.

Last edited by ebrena; 11-24-2007 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 11-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
    ebrena
    Veteran
    (female)

Forgot to mention: Most Dr's do not have a clue about withdrawls because they have never withdrawled off them. I was coming off Effexor a few years back and just felt terrible, awful! So I called my Dr and she told me it was all in my head because antidepressant's don't do that-HA!

Last edited by ebrena; 11-24-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
    Juby
    (female)

Juby HB User

Thanks for the reply. I know all these medicines are hard to come off of, but from what I've been reading Lexapro is one of the worst and has so many side effects. Did you put Lexapro side effects in the search engine? I usually do all the drugs that I try, but I never saw one with this many side effects before. I wish I would have put it in the search engine before I started taking it. I usually do but not this time of all times! I am going to go off of it some way. So far the Celexa is helping a little but I'm still feeling pretty miserable. The page I read about Lexapro said not to go off of it cold turkey and that you will need help from the doctor, usually taking another anti-depressant as well as an anti-anxity.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
    positivity17
    Veteran
    (female)

positivity17 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrena View Post
    .... I hate having to take any of it but I hibernate without something especially in the winter months.
    I know how you feel, every winter I'm clinging on by my fingernails, this year I'm trying to see the positive aspects: sexy boots, hats (love them), putting up a tree and for the first time inviting a couple of people over to decorate, cuddling on the couch to read the books that have been piling, drinking hot herbal tea, and of course the trees changing color......love to hear what your favorite aspects of winter are!!

Old 11-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
    positivity17
    Veteran
    (female)

positivity17 HB User

Juby, had no idea that coming off meds was so awful, though I do seem to remember having difficulty once.....but I must admit to being the worst patient, you know the kind that constantly stops taking meds.....not anymore though!! Good luck!!

Old 11-26-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
    ebrena
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by positivity17 View Post
    I know how you feel, every winter I'm clinging on by my fingernails, this year I'm trying to see the positive aspects: sexy boots, hats (love them), putting up a tree and for the first time inviting a couple of people over to decorate, cuddling on the couch to read the books that have been piling, drinking hot herbal tea, and of course the trees changing color......love to hear what your favorite aspects of winter are!!
    Hello Positivity. #1-Ok, today I put up my tree with lights. Tomorrow I will decorate with all the bobbles and strands. So I'm trying, I had to start this early because it will most likely take me a few weeks to get it all done.##2 - I have my Xmas shopping done; So two positive things. How are you doing?

Old 11-27-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
    positivity17
    Veteran
    (female)

positivity17 HB User

Hi Ebrena! I'm in the holiday spirit this year for some reason, strange to feel this way, I love the lights and string them all over my apt. and in the windows. Usually I'm slow doing this, once I even left my tree up till March -- that was embarrassing, sneaking out at midnight to discard!!!

I've been sleeping around the clock since starting lithium 2 1/2 weeks ago, today the dr. gave to ok to stop, but only after I pressured him. It's so depressing just existing, logging in today took all my energy! I can't wait till tomorrow and the next day, hopefully I'll be motivated to get out of the house! Did you finish the decorating of your tree?? Take care!!

Old 11-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
    ebrena
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by positivity17 View Post
    Hi Ebrena! I'm in the holiday spirit this year for some reason, strange to feel this way, I love the lights and string them all over my apt. and in the windows. Usually I'm slow doing this, once I even left my tree up till March -- that was embarrassing, sneaking out at midnight to discard!!!

I've been sleeping around the clock since starting lithium 2 1/2 weeks ago, today the dr. gave to ok to stop, but only after I pressured him. It's so depressing just existing, logging in today took all my energy! I can't wait till tomorrow and the next day, hopefully I'll be motivated to get out of the house! Did you finish the decorating of your tree?? Take care!!
    Hi positivity, I seem to have a bit of the holiday spirit, but I still hibernate. Sometimes it's an effort to get out and about,once i'm out I'm ok. I don't have a social circle of friends anymore and that feels ok to me. To me keeping relationships going is such an effort even with family. My family drives me batty, they are all so self-absorbed. There is a sister (49( & 2 brothers (49 & 53). We lost our dad and our other brother ih 1993 and my mom in 2005. It seems after every loss I keep more to myself. My husband is a great man, he knows when I am down or if I'm to high up and he will tell me.

That is probably why I don't get to reved up over the holidays, none of us see each other and we live within 20 minutes away. I look them as people I really don't like but put up with them because that is the thing to do with family, sometimes I just feel like telling them to shut-up and leave me alone. When my mom was dying of lung cancer she was diagnosed in August 2005 and died December 30 2005. I was the only one that took care of my mom and that erked me so much that the brother's & sister's just sat back with there life and left it all to me. I am glad I had all that time with mom but not one of them came over even to visit more than once. I just shake my head and get a teary feeling in my gut. So I think that s why Christmas is such an effort because not one of them thinks about me and what I went through, it was just expected and how dare them. They went to the funeral so that makes them feel they did their part and were so upset. Ha. It's funny though when ever they are messed up with something I am the one they call.

Ok back to your question- sorry if I bored you to tears but I guess I needed to vent,whew! I haven't quite got all the decorations on the tree but I will be working on it today. It looks beautiful all blue and clear lights with blue,silver and pearl ornaments. My husband is so happy I put it up, because I haven't for 2 years. The best part is buying all my own presents! My hubby doesn't shop so I do it for him and then he asks "how much did I spend on you for Christmas"! ha.

Anyhow I do hope you are still on the upswing? I took lithium for a while years ago but I forget how I felt on it, I suppose it didn't work or I would still be on it. So, is your tiredness from depression or your meds? I just weaned myself off of lexapro and so far good, I substituted with prozac and I can actually get up in the morning and feel a bit energised. I also take 300mg XL along with it. Make sure you buy those sexy boots and still feel like the company when the time comes around. I can't make plans because my moods can change in a minute and then I'm trying to make excuses to cancel the gathering. Ok, enough I have probably bored you silly.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:20 AM   #10
    positivity17
    Veteran
    (female)

positivity17 HB User

Hey Ebrena, how are you keeping? Sorry took me so long to respond, it's been hard to be consistent which is what I'm striving for. Are you the youngest in your family? Or just the responsible one? Seems that there is always one family member who ends up in your shoes, pretty sad, family can be hard to deal with sometimes, my family doesn't get together anymore but I've one or 2 sisters with whom I've gotten closer with in recent years. It just sucks that some of my family are just like a stranger I'd meet in the street, oh well! You are lucky to have an understanding husband and I'm sure he appreciates your decorating effort!! I think it's wonderful that you are putting up a tree, sorry that you have to celebrate without your Mom, that must be sad for you. Any kids?? Pets?? I got a kitten a month & 1/2 ago and I'm in love with him, I only had a cat once before that I rescued and he was mental so I'm really enjoying this cuddly litter critter. "Desi" keeps me laughing so much, I never imagined what a joy a pet could be, it's been great!!

I'm planning on getting my tree this weekend and having 5 girlfriends over to help decorate, this is new for me because I've never had female friends before except in this last year. I'm pretty excited about it!! Oh and I have one male gay friend that may join us too. In the last week I've been totally manic and cleaned out every closet, cabinet, drawer, medicine chest, etc. which is cool since not too much had been done in this last year. I'm getting organized which is thrilling after having stacks of mail, magazines, unfinished projects laying around, even my jewelry is now sorted, wow, f'in amazing!! Oh, and I absolutely love being manic expecially when I can focus and get things done. My tiredness is mostly from depression though I think the lithium cleary knocked me out, I rarely get manic usually severely depressed. Girrrl, I already have my sexy boots and we'll have to see if I'll be in the mood for a whole lot of socializing. I relate to your changing moods, making plans is always difficult for me because very often when the times comes I'm in no shape to follow thru. Mostly everyone in my life knows this about me and is usually accepting when I cancel plans, in fact, I've some friends that are the same way so it works out okay. Anxiety is no joke though!!

Just to let you know, I enjoyed what you had to say, not boring in the slightest, thanks!! Hope all is well on your end, have my fingers crossed that I continue feeling well. Take care!!

Old 12-25-2007, 08:52 PM   #11
    legaleagle71
    (male)

legaleagle71 HB User

I had fantastic results with Lexapro. The side effect - which caused me to stop it after 18 months - was uncontrolled flatulence. Otherwise, it was a great drug.

Closed Thread