It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Med Q - I'm on zoloft, switching to cymbalta. maybe

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
    camperboy
    (male)

camperboy HB User
    Med Q - I'm on zoloft, switching to cymbalta. maybe

Hey everyone,

I'm a regular on the Back Problem board, but I thought I'd jump over to ask a med question.

I've been on Zoloft for about 4 years, and it just doesn't seem to be working as well as it used to. I take a maintenance level of 100mg/day. I've tried quitting several times, but I usually start "going dark" in about a week. Even a 50mg/day makes a huge difference. But the dose I take now doesn't really make me want to get out of bed like it used to.

I had a fusion surgery on my lumbar disc about 3 months ago, and I've been having some really down days. I am thinking of asking my GP to try Cymbalta, cuz I've heard it can help with the fatigue and beat down feeling.

Has anyone switched from zoloft to cymbalta, and, if so, what was your experience?

I understand that Effexor is the same class as Cymbalta. Any differences between the two?

Thanks a lot!
    David

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
    MaggieMay78
    (female)

MaggieMay78 HB User
    Re: Med Q - I'm on zoloft, switching to cymbalta. maybe

Hi there,

Here's my story: I took Zoloft for about 6 months, and I think it helped a bit, but definitely wasn't as helpful as I thought it would be. Then, I stopped taking Zoloft and didn't take any medication for over a year. BIG MISTAKE! My depression came back worse than ever before...but anyway, I started taking Cymbalta in August 2007, and it has really been great for me. I'm not saying that one works better than the other for everyone...we're all different. BUT, I know that Cymbalta has helped tremendously with my depression.

I am also a chronic pain patient. I was told that Cymbalta might help w/my pain, but unfortunately, that hasn't been the case. I think it generally works better for neuropathy (nerve pain), from what I know...and that is not my pain problem. Even then, however, I've read reports of it not working all that well for nerve pain...who knows. But if you just want something new for depression, I highly recommend giving Cymbalta a try! However, it did take about 5-6 weeks till I really noticed a difference (and I was started on the lowest possible dose of 20mg, titrating upward to 60mg after 4 or 5 weeks).

Good luck!

Closed Thread