It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• HELP: New Therapist against klonopin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
    brandy76
    (female)

brandy76 HB User
    HELP: New Therapist against klonopin

My dad just died and my reg. docotor gave me Klonopin 1mg to take so I can keep it together to work, help my mom & plan all the arrangements.

I just went to see a new therapist to help with the greiving & my depression (currently on wellburtrin xl 300mg) & he said I shouldn't be on klonopin to help for anything & he doesn't prescribe things like xanax or any other of those types because they are like heroin. ***I told him I take Xanax for my fear of flying, which is 3x a year, and he siad he won't prescribe that to me, but also didn't address how i'm going to get over my anxiety with flying.

For sleeping problems he prescribed me Desyrel (Trazodone) which he said is an anti-depressant but will help me sleep.

Is it safe to take 2 anti depressants? Why not just prescribe something else for sleep instead of another antidepressant. **He's also against ambien

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
    allsorts
    Inactive
    (male)

allsorts HB User
    Re: HELP: New Therapist against klonopin

I have had this many times in my experience - doctors not wanting to prescribe you certain things because they feel you aren't suited for them. Not only that, but due to the certain repuations of drugs such as xanax being quite addictive it makes some doctors very reluctant to want to prescribe them in the fear of having a patient addicted to them. I think the only you can do is get another opinion - that's what I do.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

A lot of people take more then one antidepressant either for sleep or other reasons. At one time I was on Effexor, Wellbutrin and Remeron plus a couple of other non antidepressants.

Unfortunately a lot of drugs meant for anxiety are highly abused and addictive so doctors are under pressure by the government to keep careful records on their patients in regards of drug usage as prescription drug abuse continues to soar which has led to some doctors not prescribing certain meds.

I know people in Canada whose doctor refused to prescribe a certain med so they went to another doctor to get their anti anxiety meds but this sent up a warning which ended up with them being black flagged for double doctoring and now getting a prescription filled is difficult with a lengthy process.

Anti anxiety meds are addictive and routinely abused but if your only asking for a small amount a few times a year I really do not understand the logic and would ask the doctor for a better explanation then his opinion on it being equivalent to heroin.

take care
    trg247
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 02-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
    himmylover
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

Find another doctor, that is what I did. I have had anxiety for over 10 years.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
    brandy76
    (female)

brandy76 HB User

i just don't understand y he won't prescribe that temporarirly to cope with this death, it's not like i would need it all the time.

I have a lot of xanax pills at home that i use when i travel, but i never think about using them for anything else. When I tried to take the xanax to deal with this death it did nothing & that's why I went to my reg doc for something else.

I'm going to go back to my other psychiatrist group & see if they will help me. The only reason why I left that group was because the therapist they gave me was horrible & we didn't click, but I can still use the nurse there for meds.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
    himmylover
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

That is terrible. I lost my dad suddenly, and he was my best friend, I cry everyday over him. I would definatley find another doctor or GP.

You are going through too much, there is help, don't give up.....hugs honey.

I feel your pain.......

Old 02-07-2008, 01:17 AM   #7
    lv2srf
    (female)

lv2srf HB User

Of course you want an antianxiety during this difficult time! (I'm sorry your father is gone) And Wellbutrin doesn't generally touch anxiety.

The Trazadone will probably help with sleep, maybe even better than Ambien. But it's not going to help anxiety. Sheeezz...... What are you going to do?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User

It seems odd to me that drs. do this. If you were in physical pain would they with hold pain meds because they are addictive? We are in psychic pain. I understand that alot of them want you on an antidepressant. These drugs are not psychologically addictive but you do have withdrawals if you go off of them at once. They should at least give you xanax until the other prescribed meds kick in. Godbless

Closed Thread