It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Should I have to keep increasing my zoloft dose?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
    cathy100706
    (female)

cathy100706 HB User
    Should I have to keep increasing my zoloft dose?

I feel like its not working. I am so depressed. Its hard to function sometimes. I am trying to keep it going for my kids but my partner and I, I just can't seem even interested in him. I know I am pms'ng but it seems like during this time the zoloft does nothing. Its a lower dose 75mgs but about 2 months ago, I increased it from 50-75. At first it worked but now I am having more bad days than good. There is just so much going on in my life that is bad, I originally started taking it to numb myself to it all. I know that there are people on this site who's situations are much worse than mine. But even knowing that doesn't make things better. I tried switching to efexor and that was horrible, definitely not the drug for me.
    I know i need counseling but right now my son needs it more. He can only go 2 times a month because I can't afford the copays. So there is no help for me right now while he is dealing with the death of his dad's mother.
    I see all these people who are so successful and younger than me and I know I am capable of doing great things but something always stops me. I feel like I should be doing something for someone else to brighten their day but no one ever does anything for me. My bf was even tooo preoccupied with his job/lack of money that he got me nothing for my 40th birthday. Not even a card. V-day was the same. He bought me candy that I don't need due to overeating to deal with my depression. I didn't get him anything either because I knew ahead of time there'd be nothing for me. I know that is the wrong attitude but I didn't want to be disappointed. His bday is this weekend and I've arranged a nice dinner party with friends and I am having a portrait of our son done for him. His one and only child. He's beautiful by the way. 16 months., I have a 10 year old from my ex husband and bf doesn't treat him nicely. I just wish he would hear me when I tell him how mean he is. He isn't physical but he just never says anything nice. Its tough because now that we have a baby. The rift has gotten bigger between them Its mostly things like don't do that to your brother. Don't do that don't do that. Its fustrating because I love my first born more than life itsself. And the last thing I want before he goes off for a weekend with his dad, is for bf to make him feel unwelcome. UGH. But this is going to have to do for now. Sorry so long.[url]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/frown.gif[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
    lv2srf
    (female)

lv2srf HB User
    Re: Should I have to keep increasing my zoloft dose?

Hi Cathy,

I'm sorry things seem to suck for you right now. Part of it is the dose.

It sounds like you've been on a minimal dose of Zoloft since the little one was around 12-14 months? At any rate, you've been on 75 mg. for 2 months. That's a really low dose of Zoloft, particularly for a mom to a little one. I had similar issues, starting when my dd was ~9 months old. I too got Zoloft--100 mg., but since then I know moms who've been on over 200 mg. (seeing a psychiatrist). Talk to your prescribing doctor about increasing your dose (I can't believe they've let you drag along at such a minimal dose all this time. Wait, actually I can--it happens all the time).

When you're on the right dose for you, you should consistently feel like you did each time it seemed like the Zoloft was working. It was. It just wasn't high enough yet.

You may want to look up postpartum depression/support because that's what it sounds like you've got going on. Any depression/anxiety etc. that STARTS in the first year after baby arrives is considered PPD. Welcome to the club no one wants to be a part of.

Try not to beat yourself up about how you're feeling right now. It's honestly not YOU. It's the dose and the postpartum stuff not being fully treated yet.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
    cathy100706
    (female)

cathy100706 HB User

Thanks for replying to me. I originally started taking zoloft when he was about 6months-- 25 mgs. My pcp gave me an option to go to 100mgs but 75 was working so I guess I'll ask her to up it again. Its just sad to do that since its only been bout 2 months...
    I was/am nursing him and get worried about the doses. He will be weaned soon but I haven't rushed it because its supposed to give you a natural high but it really hasn't with this baby. My first it was great.
    I will see if I can find a postpartum depression board, I didn't see one on these boards.
    Thanks for your advice. I didn't think it'd be postpartum since he is 16 months. I just figured it was just depression about my life.
    I know I need to seek therapy but right now can't afford it so hopefully I can find a board that will help me.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:44 AM   #4
    lv2srf
    (female)

lv2srf HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cathy100706 View Post
    Its just sad to do that since its only been bout 2 months...
    I was/am nursing him and get worried about the doses.
    The sad thing is that you were left dangling on 75 mg. for so long, but a lot of people kind of think of their dose as a measure of how well they're doing, when it's more about metabolism and sensitivity to meds. Most moms I've seen online on zoloft find 100-150 mg. to be their effective dose. The right dose for you can possibly relieve some of the stress between family members too--you know that old saying--if mama ain't happy, ain't no one happy.

As for nursing and ds getting any of your dose that way....he is eating and drinking other foods now, right? Zoloft is the most-recommended antidepressant for nursing moms. A minimal mini amount may pass through the milk, but even after that, there's less that actually gets to his blood stream. There's a Thomas Hale that writes/has a book about Medications and Mothers' Milk--he's got tons of research about all kinds of meds and their influence on nursing.

Hang in there. PPD is very treatable.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
    cathy100706
    (female)

cathy100706 HB User

O yes, he is definitely eating and drinking other stuff. Its just mostly for soothing him. and me sometimes...

I'll call my pcp on Monday and see about going to 100. or 150. I guess its just a guessing game on the amount? Do you start high and cut back or low and just keep adding?

Thanks so much for your advice. I've posted other things and usually no one responds. So thank you just for responding.

its a different perspective so I can look at it a little differently now and hopefully get thru this.

Thanks much.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
    lv2srf
    (female)

lv2srf HB User

Increases (and same with going off it later) are done in small steps--like you'd done already.

Zoloft was the only thing that got me out of my PPD--the therapy available wasn't related to ppd at all and there just wasn't a heck of a lot in my past to dredge up. It was definitely a relief to find out more about it and find out I wasn't the only one, and talk to others in the same boat. Having a little one to care for when it's hard enough to take care of oneself because of the anxiety/depression throws a whole different spin on how it's experienced and how to even get treatment. Keep doing whatever you need to to get back to feeling like yourself. You're worth it, Cathy.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
    cathy100706
    (female)

cathy100706 HB User

Thanks for the advice. I am feeling better today just talking about it has helped. I guess I am one of the silent ones... I was really low on Friday night. Today is a new day. Tomorrow I plan on talking to my pcp and seeing if she'll up my dose. Hopefully my money situation resolves itself soon and I can seek therapy too. I hope you have a great day and know that you helped someone just by being there.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
    lv2srf
    (female)

lv2srf HB User

Thanks! Glad to be of service.

Closed Thread