It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• What gives someone purpose in their life?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
    Eeyore11
    (female)

Eeyore11 HB User
    Question What gives someone purpose in their life?

One of the symptoms of depression is a feeling of worthlessness which is something I can identify with. If I can identify feeling worthless, surely that means I know what would make me worthwhile? I don't though and my therapist wants me to come up with some ideas.

Has anyone any thoughts on what makes someone worthwhile or gives their life a purpose?

The following user gives a hug of support to Eeyore11:
    tinkerbell45 (01-31-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
    Re: What gives someone purpose in their life?

So you want us to help you with your homework

I think that everyone has value, even the worst criminal you can think of. They are choosing wrong behaviors but there is still value inside of them somewhere. This is probably where their path forked off down the wrong road. They were never respected/valued so they don't respect or value themselves or anyone else. They might find rehabilitation if they could find their own value?

I even think a lot of inanimate objects have value. I am a big environmentalist and believe that we have to take care of the earth and I cannot throw anything away if I can find someone else who could use it. I think that valuing things and being thankful are very intertwined and are spiritual things. In my opinion finding value in everything gives meaning to life. Just think of someone who doesn't value themselves, others or things. Where do they find meaning in life?

My life has purpose because there are many things that I am very passionate about and extremely thirsty for knowledge and understanding about. There are so many things in life which are so darn fascinating.

I used to have less self-worth than I have now. This stuff comes from somewhere. Have you thought about where yours came from?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
    themisiek1
    (male)

themisiek1 HB User

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I think different ages think differently. I' am 17 myself and can already completely identify with that horrible feeling of worthlessness. Especially with my dad constantly putting me down and insulting me and my hobbies.

Everybody is good at something. Its never just one thing either. Every single person on this planet has many talents. You just have to find what they are, and use they to succeed and keep moving forwards. Even if they might seem ridiculous. No talent is ridiculous. Whatever it is your good at, thrive to be the best in that category. What ever the people around you say, doesn't matter as long as you keep moving forwards and keep doing what you love to do. And if you do that I can guarantee you are going to start getting many compliments and much happiness.

I' am sorry for not helping. I have a much easier time talking then typing. However I do hope that this helps at least a little bit.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
    Sannah
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by themisiek1 View Post
    I' am 17 myself and can already completely identify with that horrible feeling of worthlessness. Especially with my dad constantly putting me down and insulting me and my hobbies.
    I'm sorry that you get this from your dad. I'll bet big money this was how he was treated. He probably feels pretty worthless himself.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
    Pri Lily
    Inactive
    (female)

Pri Lily HB User

Quote:
    If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I think different ages think differently. I' am 17 myself and can already completely identify with that horrible feeling of worthlessness. Especially with my dad constantly putting me down and insulting me and my hobbies.

Everybody is good at something. Its never just one thing either. Every single person on this planet has many talents. You just have to find what they are, and use they to succeed and keep moving forwards. Even if they might seem ridiculous. No talent is ridiculous. Whatever it is your good at, thrive to be the best in that category. What ever the people around you say, doesn't matter as long as you keep moving forwards and keep doing what you love to do. And if you do that I can guarantee you are going to start getting many compliments and much happiness.

I' am sorry for not helping. I have a much easier time talking then typing. However I do hope that this helps at least a little bit.
    I think that was a big help....it helped me...because you are so right.

Lil

Old 02-26-2008, 02:39 AM   #6
    Eeyore11
    (female)

Eeyore11 HB User

Quote:

It has helped a lot. Thanks.

To answer your question I am 31 but have been suffering with depression and feeling like this since I was your age. I'm just getting more frustrated trying to understand my feelings and am beginning to think I should just give up thinking and start trying to appreciate what I have got (and, as you say, what I am good at).

I really feel for you if your dad is constantly putting you and your hobbies down. My parents do the same about my hobbies and last year was the first time they ever said they were impressed with something I had achieved. They keep telling me I'd be much happier married and maybe I would be but it's not that simple and them saying it, just puts more pressure on me!

Good luck with your dad and thanks again for your help.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
    an i a victim
    (male)

an i a victim HB User

I'm where you are. unsolicted advice: if you have a healthcare provider, get a list and screen every damn one of them until you think you've found a fit.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
    Diverdan8
    Veteran
    (male)

Diverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB User

Like everyone has said there any many purposes to life. It could range from being there for a person or people you love and care very much about and would like to be there for them, to a hobby there is no such thing as a silly hobby because its just something you enjoy doing so there are less common ones but not silly ones.

I lost interest in all my hobby like many people with depression do, So i would say my purpose is to be there for my two younger sister of 7 and 3 whenever they need me for whatever reason. ( dropped a cup of water on the carpet lets hide it before mummy or daddy sees. Has to be the best one )

themisiek1:

Im only two years older than you (19) and use to have a simliar problem most of the time but all the time, and i have found that as i got older the less they did it. Like i said im 19 now and it very rarely happens or maybe i just not notice it anymore because i spend alot of time working, hiding from the world.

Hope everyone starts to feel better

Old 02-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #9
    sssusan13
    (female)

sssusan13 HB User

Thanks Verona, I couldn't agree with you more. Your attitute is wonderful and I'd like to know more about you if that's okay. What do you like? Do you has the brain injury in your family? You're sound so much more together than my sister. < edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 02-03-2011 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Please do not post, or request contact information, such as email address, phone or name.

Closed Thread