It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Zoloft changed me for the worse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
    sisue
    (female)

sisue HB User
    Zoloft changed me for the worse

I tried Zoloft for moderate depression once. I gave it the required 16 weeks to try and adjust. It triggered unprecedented anxiety, sleeplessness, stomach problems, hand tremors, restlessness and feelings of aggression in me. Worse, I lost my identity, didn't really recognize myself anymore. Some would say that depression alone can cause the symptoms, but I had never been like this before the drug. The doctor wanted to give me benzodiazepines to take the edge off, but I had seen my elderly parents become addicted to "sleeping pills", and I didn't want any part of it. So I stopped the Zoloft, thinking that I'd rather be depressed. It took ages to wean off of it, and I believe that I have lasting neurological problems from it, for example, numbness in my hand. I am not one to take any drugs, only a daily Blood Pressure pill, and I had not taken any drugs for depression before the Zoloft.

I have heard from a doctor who specializes in mood disorders that SSRI's can trigger manic symptoms in some people, and they end up getting a false diagnosis of bipolar.

Who is to really know? Psychological symptoms are so widespread, they can cover nearly all aspects of human behaviour. For me, I have accepted that I am prone to depression, judging from my past. But I am definitely not prone to the opposite swings of anxiety, again judging from my past behaviour. I do know that I can't tolerate the SSRI's. And I don't believe that there is a great difference between them. It seems to me that the only difference is a molecule or two to make it a distinct drug, and protect the patent. Also, there is a great deal of research to show that the placebo effect is in every drug. That is, if you believe it will do something, you perceive it as working for you. It probably is why I continue to believe my BP pill works and keep taking it. I'm not condemning others for taking drugs, it's a personal choice.

The good news is that I have found natural supplements that work for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2008, 03:52 AM   #2
    sisue
    (female)

sisue HB User
    Re: Zoloft changed me for the worse

Thank you for you helpful information.Regrding magnesium, yes, it's true that I have been experiencing painful muscle cramps lately. So I took your advice and tried the magnesium in the form of magnesium citrate, and voila! No more muscle cramps. I seem to have gotten an immediate lift in spirits, too. I suppose I have been low in this vital mineral. I also got some pomegranate, so I will be looking for lowered blood pressure. Again, thank you for your advice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rose_5-HT View Post
    Thank you for your insightful contribution.

I will add the first goal of drugs is profit and not your health at all as it should be. An example ? SSRIs' goal is to raise brain synaptic serotonin levels by blocking presynaptic serotonin reuptake receptors. But you can raise your brain serotonin level simply by taking magnesium. Magnesium raises serotonin because it increases the synthesis and hydrolysis of ATP (the cell fuel). With SSRIs you have to wait a few weeks before feeling the full effects of the drugs. With magnesium you feel extremely better after 2 hours. SSRIs cause numerous serious side-effects, magnesium has none. SSRIs cost a lot, magnesium is very cheap.

Regarding you BP there is also better alternatives. The goal to lower your BP is to decrease the level of oxidative stress in your cardiovascular system. For somebody who doesn't take drugs the main cause of oxidative stress is age-related toxic metal accumulation in the body. Here are a few metal chelators that can be used: l-carnosine, chitosan, IP6, omega-3 from fish oil, punicic acid from pomegranate oil, squalene. Taking dry natural vitamin E will also accelerate recovery from high BP (dry because omega-6 linoleic acid is prooxidant, natural because synthetic vitamin E contains toxic isomers).

Old 04-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
    Survivor3
    Veteran
    (male)

Survivor3 HB User
    Re: Zoloft changed me for the worse

For hypertension, try lowering your sodium intake. If you are overweight and/ or sedentary, that could play a role.

Closed Thread