It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Lexapro or Wellbutrin SR for Dysthymia??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
    mamajulie54
    (female)

mamajulie54 HB User
    Unhappy Lexapro or Wellbutrin SR for Dysthymia??

Has anyone had luck with Lexapro or Wellbutrin Sr for Dysthymia. How about weight gain? Really don't need that, in fact I am scared to death of gaining a bunch of weight. I walk 2 miles daily and still have insomnia which Dr. says is caused by my low grade depression.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
    Becky73
    (female)

Becky73 HB User
    Re: Lexapro or Wellbutrin SR for Dysthymia??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mamajulie54 View Post
    Has anyone had luck with Lexapro or Wellbutrin Sr for Dysthymia. How about weight gain? Really don't need that, in fact I am scared to death of gaining a bunch of weight. I walk 2 miles daily and still have insomnia which Dr. says is caused by my low grade depression.
    Hi mamajulie54-
    When I was first diagnosed w/depression at 21, I was diagnosed as being dysthymic. Since then I have been on almost every AD out there, including Lexapro and Wellbutrin, had problems w/weight gain and gone through several major depressive episodes and SAD. Most of us w/dysthymia have to take medication for the rest of our lives and I learned the hard way that you must continue taking your meds or run the risk of major depressive episodes. Although, that's easier said than done with you're having all sorts of side effects, especially weight gain. I was on Zoloft for 5 1/2 years and gained 50+ lbs. It was horrible. And my doctor kept telling me it wasn't the medication, which just made my depression worse. Fortunately I was able to wean off the Zoloft and lose the weight.

I did not have weight gain w/Lexapro. My only side effect was low libido. However, none of the other AD's I took gave me that side effect, which some people experience. I did not take Wellbutrin SR, but I am on Wellbutrin XL (150mg). I have not gained any weight on that. The only side effect I really noticed was irritability. I originally started taking the Wellbutrin XL with 20mg of Prozac and that seemed to even out the mood swings, but the Prozac eventually made me gain weight, so I had to stop and start it a bunch of times. Of course that probably didn't help my depression and probably contributed to me having major depressive episodes down the road.

From what I've read and experienced with the newer AD's, the SSRI's (Prozac, Zoloft and Paxil) are the worst offenders for weight gain, with Paxil being the worst of the three. However, that said, some people do not experience any weight gain. Like anything, it just depends on the person. So I guess all you can do is try the med and see how it affects you.

Good luck!
    Becky

Last edited by Becky73; 06-13-2008 at 10:19 AM.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
    mamajulie54
    (female)

mamajulie54 HB User

Well, I sure do thank you for your reply. It really is a battle finding a med that you can live with long term. I am not taking anything at the moment other than Ativan and Ambien CR, neither of which I want to rely on. They are clearly just a crutch........getting me by.
    I am glad that Wellbutrin XL is working well for you. That really gives me hope! Continued good luck to you on that!

Old 06-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
    Becky73
    (female)

Becky73 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mamajulie54 View Post
    It really is a battle finding a med that you can live with long term.
    Yes it is! Unfortunately, you can be doing well on a med for many years and then all of a sudden start feeling bad again. Could be because you have more stress in your life or the medication has lost its effectiveness or you've built up a tolerance...who knows. It does get quite frustrating. I was eventually diagnosed with Treatment Resistant Depression (TRD) and had a VNS device implanted. And that opens up a whole new door of side effects!

Again, I hope you are able to find something that works for you.

Becky

Old 06-11-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
    Capecodgirl74
    (female)

Capecodgirl74 HB User

Hello,

My friend was diagnosed with Dysthymia and she is currently taking cymbalta. This med helped her to lose weight whereas all the other meds she tried made her gain. I don't know if her case of dysthymia is particularly bad or if the major depression she has also contributes, but cymbalta doesn't work as well as I wish it would for her. She goes through about four major depressive cycles per year. The cymbalta worked very well at first, but seemed to go downhill over the last couple of years. On the positive side, the med helped her lose 50 lbs.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User

Both together would be the gold standard, the combo effects all three main neurotransmitters, so you get extremely good results

Closed Thread