It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Effexor XR=Mother's Hell On Earth(sort of long post)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
    hopetofeelwell1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
    Effexor XR=Mother's Hell On Earth(sort of long post)

Hi all! I've posted on other boards this week regarding my personal, or should I say my son's personal hell on Earth. I have even looked into pursuing a class action lawsuit if it is possible against the makers of Effexor. My son has had depression and anxiety(OCD) issues for many years--age 14 until now, age 20. He was prescribed Effexor XR back in 2004 because we were told Prozac was not a good choice for him being so young. He felt better for about 2 1/2 years, occasionally increasing the dose via the psychiatrist and in the beginning of 2007 the med pooped out and he was decreased from it and it was discontinued. He suffered and lost a ton of weight from nerves for months and had issues regarding sexual preference and I watched my son go through a living hell. By September of 2007, we saw a new psychiatrist who told us he wasn't on enough medication previously and if he originally did well with the Effexor, then perhaps he could be put back on it for a while at a higher dosage. Once again, the med pooped out by May of 2008, and my son was showing anger signs and wanted to be taken off of this because he was already up to 300 mg. The doctor agreed and over the past two months is down to 187.5 mg. He has shown severe hostility, anger, kicked a tv tray & broke it, hitting me in the back during this withdrawal phase and has become super religious, blessing himself all the time, and because he is asthmatic also, sighs a lot when he's anxious. I am sick with worry over him and what this medication does to people. I took Effexor XR for about 6 months and I couldn't stand another day of it so I went through a mini-hell stopping it, but I'm alright right now. I have been advised by my therapist, his therapist and the drug store to keep in touch with them because of the mood changes. The pharmacist that we see said she gets phone calls every day from people getting off of Effexor saying that it is almost impossible to stop taking this stuff because the withdrawal is almost worse than Klonopin except you don't have the real physical withdrawal. The psychological impact is the worst. If anyone else has gone through this or has a child who has, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks so much for listening--Hopeto--

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
    allizfullofluv
    (female)

allizfullofluv HB User
    Re: Effexor XR=Mother's Hell On Earth(sort of long post)

Hi There,

I am so sorry to hear of the hard times your son has been going through. I have been taking Effexor XR for a little over 5 years now, and I found it to work perfectly for me.

At first I took the starter pack and I did very well on the low 37.5mg tablet but got very "zombie like" and numb on the higher 75mg dose, so my Dr reduced it back down to the 37.5mg and I am doing great. I suffer from mild depression and I too have severe asthma since I was little. Recently I have suffered a foot injury (Lisfranc) and since I have been on pain medication I stopped taking my Effexor and I have felt good and do not think I need it anymore.

I do rememer reducing from the 75mg to the 37.5 was HELL I had brain "zaps" I call them and I was shaking and felt sick...but being on the lowest dose I guess I don't feel that now when I stop it.

These types of meds are so tricky each person has different reactions..I went through Lexapro, Wellbutrin, and Zoloft before findig Effexor and those made me SOOO sick.

Hang in there I too know what it feels like to fight for your son I have a 5 year old who is Autistic very high functioning but SEVERE aggression and behavioral issues so I know how you feel. I have not even thought of putting him on any meds...it's alot for an adult so a 5 year old you can imagine.

Take care and hang in there you will find the right meds and your son will be ok.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
    hopetofeelwell1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Allizfull! Thanks for your kind thoughts. I really wonder if my son needs meds right now. He is really toughing it out getting off this med and watching him blessing himself all the time and the obsessive thoughts is really hard for me. Right now we have no car, the computer is on the fritz, money is scarce and it is very hard living this way and I know deep down this is really bothering him. I could have my income to myself and my rent knocked down if I went into housing, but I'd have to leave him with his father who is good, but my inlaws have been helping us all the time and this really grates at me because you can't be somewhat independent living this way. I personally am sick of living this way all the time and I wonder if I would really need meds myself if I could distance myself from this situation. I'm not on any right now and because of a skin test that I'm waiting to have I can't take anything even if I wanted to because it will alter the results. Male teenage hormones are a pain in the behind on top of the anxiety issues my son has and I need to wait two more weeks before he can see the psychiatrist. Right now it's all a waiting game and there's nothing any of us can do but go off into our own corners and just try to cope. Every month believe it or not when the moon starts to come out he is irritable and I know that every time I go on a antidepressant the same thing happens. Maybe medicine will make a different class of meds that won't affect a person in that way and maybe my family and I will learn to grow up and deal with things better. Keep you fingers crossed something good happens soon. Thanks so much--Hopeto--

Old 07-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
    macs4life06
    (female)

macs4life06 HB User

I also am sorry to hear what you are going through, and am glad that I read this post. I am hypothyroid, which causes depression, and a doctor tried to put me on Effexor XR. Luckily, I never took it and decided to just wait it out until my thyroid med kicked in. Maybe your son needs to be evaluated by another psychiatrist. Are there any clinics in your area? If you don't have any insurance, some clinics in certain states offer free therapy & visits with the psychiatrist.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
    hopetofeelwell1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Cutie! I am so glad you read my post, too and I thank you for that. We have insurance and although I see the ocd traits in my son, I have also seen traits in him that almost point to add as well. Put those two things together with being a 20 year old and what you've got is a very trying situation for a mother. I don't feel well myself and everything just grates on me. My appointment today was for the skin doctor and my ride to the appointment got an eye infection and couldn't take me. I cried and cried all morning because this is the 7th cancellation I have had to made with them in 6 weeks. My skin is very sore and I am tired and don't sleep well and no one can seem to help me. I am so sick of hearing "Chronic hives are difficult to treat". So what do you do? Why can't I seem to get through to them that I am so miserable and don't want to get out of bed because movement acts them up more? I can't take an antihistamine because it throws off the biopsy(which I'll have to have done NEXT week instead). There has been a full moon for a few days and I feel like howling with the best of them. I will ask God for more patience and diversion over these next few days and hopefully I'll be able to get some sleep tonight, too. Thanks so much--Hopeto--

Old 04-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
    1wholuvsbooks
    (female)

1wholuvsbooks HB User

Hello, right away I would like to say that I wish you and your son the best. I am taking Effexor XR 150 and have been taking it for 7years. A few times I forgot to take it and had withdrawls that were terrible. I went online and read some horrible stories about other people's experiences, when I told my doc he said something like "Thats not true or they aren't professional docs or they don't know what there talking about" I was speechless and embarassed so needless to say I wish I would have been told the whole truth about the side effects and been able to make a more informed decission. Although I will say that after the Effexor started to work I felt very alive and happy something I hadn't felt in a long time. I would like to tapper off and eventual stop taking this med, anyone have any suggestions?

Closed Thread