It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Withdrawal from Pristiq

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
    bono1968
    (male)

bono1968 HB User
    Withdrawal from Pristiq

I stopped taking Pristiq cold turkey and have been having some bad side effects. Can any body tell me how long this will last? Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to bono1968:
    stillholding on (09-26-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
    Re: Withdrawal from Pristiq

bono, why'd you go off it? hope someone can help you.

Salty

Last edited by salty; 11-03-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added

Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
    bono1968
    (male)

bono1968 HB User

I switched to Wellbutrin SR.

Last edited by bono1968; 11-03-2008 at 06:14 PM.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I would think you would be okay because you are switching from one to the other. I don't think a lot of people are on it yet and if they are, I haven't read that they've gone off of it.

You know I was thinking about going on it. When you are feeling better, could you tell me why you switched? Bad side effects?

Thanks and I hope someone writes soon.

Salty

Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
    bono1968
    (male)

bono1968 HB User

Iím on 10 mg of abilify which has increased my appetite; Wellbutrin does a better job of curbing cravings and increasing energy. I didnít have any real horrible side effects with Pristiq.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you bono for replying when I know you're not feeling well. My dr. says you can go from one to the other usually without a lot of trouble (unlike cold turkey).

I'm sorry you are having bad side effects. I have been there in the past and it's no fun.

I hope you feel well soon.

Hugs,
    Salty

Last edited by salty; 11-03-2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: sp

Old 11-04-2008, 06:53 AM   #7
    bono1968
    (male)

bono1968 HB User

I talked to my sister who is an R.N in a mental health unit and she recommended I take a Pristiq every other day for a week. I took one last night before bed and I feel better today.
    Thanks for your support Salty!!

Last edited by bono1968; 11-04-2008 at 06:55 AM.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
    cuddles1
    Veteran
    (female)

cuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB Usercuddles1 HB User

I was wondering if you had any side effects while taking the pristqi. I'm taking 50mg of it. I feel tired on it. Have you had any luck losing weight on it? I would appreciate any good advice on this medication.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bono, i'm sooo glad you talked to her and that was a good idea. I just wanted you to feel better and I know I haven't seen many posts from people coming off of pristiq.

I just saw your answer to my post so I'm editing this. I will go there to respond to you.

Your post will help people who are trying to switch from pristiq to something else.

Hugs,
    Salty

Last edited by salty; 11-04-2008 at 04:09 PM. Reason: saw he responded to other post

Old 11-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #10
    hamstachick
    (female)

hamstachick HB User

I don't believe we ever got a reply to the withdrawl symptoms of Pristiq. ?? I was all set to ask for it when I went to see my dr. soon, but then I kept reading about people's cholesterol and blood pressure shooting up that took it. Also, their heart rate and for us panic attack sufferers, that's not cool. Now I am back to looking for something else that won't hurt me. =( Wellbutrin?

Old 11-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #11
    kellijhae
    (female)

kellijhae HB User

You should wean yourself off it instead of going cold turkey. My doc plans to wean me off Pristiq next summer by slowly cutting down the dose (every other day, every third day) and maybe throwing another AD in there to help.

Unless your doc told you to quit cold turkey, you really shouldn't do it. Any med is going to cause side effects if you suddenly take it away from your body.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:48 AM   #12
    itnavell
    (female)

itnavell HB User

Hi- New to site. Was on Effexor for more than a year and successfully weaned off. Dr. suggested I switch to Pristiq and have been using it for seven months. I was told there would be less medication/withdrawal side effects due to minor differences (improvement?) to the drug. Wrong! At least with the Effexor I could reduce dosage to 37.5mg. while weaning off. Lowest dose Pristiq is 50mg. Was weaning by taking one e.o.d. over a period of weeks. Now have not taken any for 3 days. The side effects are miserable; dizziness, ringing in ears, visual distortions, brain zaps (aargh), anxiety and some suicidal type thoughts. I think this is worse than the effexor. I'm afraid to drive the car at this time. I've already been through too much to chicken out and start taking Pristiq again just because the withdrawal is so miserable. Any suggestions to help with side effects? Does anyone know on average how long this will last?

Old 01-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #13
    RubyBlu
    (female)

RubyBlu HB User

Hi, been trying to wean off pristiq also. Could you please let me know how you are doing it and how you are doing! I'm down to every other day and by the end of that second day I'm a mess! Bad dizziness, stomach issues, foggy head. Brain zaps are not as bad as efffexor. I wish I could find some other med to help me get off. My side effects w/ pristiq were extreme weight gain. like almost 10 lbs in the few months since taking it. Does not do much for depression and I'm tired alot, lost of interest in doing anything outside of work. Virtually nothing but a homebody. Well, I'd really love to hear about anything on getting off this horrible med. Thanks

Old 01-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #14
    yoyomommy
    (female)

yoyomommy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RubyBlu View Post
    Hi, been trying to wean off pristiq also. Could you please let me know how you are doing it and how you are doing! I'm down to every other day and by the end of that second day I'm a mess! Bad dizziness, stomach issues, foggy head. Brain zaps are not as bad as efffexor. I wish I could find some other med to help me get off. My side effects w/ pristiq were extreme weight gain. like almost 10 lbs in the few months since taking it. Does not do much for depression and I'm tired alot, lost of interest in doing anything outside of work. Virtually nothing but a homebody. Well, I'd really love to hear about anything on getting off this horrible med. Thanks
    Hi~
    Ive taken several different antidepressants over the past 20 years and was on Effexor for the longest duration, then Webutrin. I think my body chemistry is beginning to change (Im 39) so Ive been trying to find a more effective combo. Most recently I tried pristiq and after the first dose I felt like Id fianlly found the right med but perhaps that was just a placebo effect b/c after about 6-8 weeks I had gone from thinking it was a miracle to being so incredibly tired I could barely function. I do enjoy eating but Ive never been over weight and haven't had problems over eating or thinking constantly about how hungry I am (even after a generous meal), until Pristiq. I think it may have made me a little edgy and I found myself arguing a lot with my husband as well as isolating. That being said I decided to quit taking it... at first I cut the tablets in half (I was also hoping that maybe a smaller dose than the 50mg would be the key) but I couldnt tell much of a difference. I then for some ridiculous reason gave in and started taking the whole tablet again thinking Id continue on track until my next Drs appt and try something else but after another few days of it I couldn't take the mood swings and extreme fatigue anymore. Today was my 4th day going cold turkey and each day has been a little easier than the last. I'll tell you that I was a little afraid of trying it because I had had an incredibly horrible and scary time coming off Effexor (I ended up opening up those capsules and litterally shaving off minute bits at a time over several months). Ive had headaches (none that were debilitating and I found that a one aspirin and one ibuprofen worked fairly well), slight muscle twitches now and again and those annoying electrical abberrations that make me a little dizzy. There are a few other minor annoyances such as just a little bit of an upset stomach & a few minor hot flashes now and again (mostly in the night). The very worst of it has been -and this sounds ridculous- REALLY itchy feet!!! The itches come mainly at night time and are about to drive me insane... Im going to try a little benadryl tonight. Last night was a weekend night so I tried to just stay up as long as I could so Id be too tired to be so bothered with the incessant itching. Staying up did help so Im doing it again tonight. I imagine that at the rate Im progressing I'll hopefully be symptom free in the next 2-3 days(?). If I had it to do over again I think Id start with the smaller dose (1/2 tablet) for a week and then go to 1/4 tablet for another few days before stopping all together. I just got too impatient and I was eating so much that I was uncomfortable and full all the time. I think i probably gained 5-7 lbs over the month to month and a half period I was taking Pristiq... and even then I was trying to counteract my appetite with exercising 30 min 3-4 times a week. Anyway, I know I ramble on and on but I hope the info helps. You're one of the few people Ive read about that has had many of the same symptoms with Pristiq as I have... thank you for your post, I thought I was a complete odd ball. Take care!

Old 01-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #15
    RubyBlu
    (female)

RubyBlu HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by yoyomommy View Post
    Hi~
    Ive taken several different antidepressants over the past 20 years and was on Effexor for the longest duration, then Webutrin. I think my body chemistry is beginning to change (Im 39) so Ive been trying to find a more effective combo. Most recently I tried pristiq and after the first dose I felt like Id fianlly found the right med but perhaps that was just a placebo effect b/c after about 6-8 weeks I had gone from thinking it was a miracle to being so incredibly tired I could barely function. I do enjoy eating but Ive never been over weight and haven't had problems over eating or thinking constantly about how hungry I am (even after a generous meal), until Pristiq. I think it may have made me a little edgy and I found myself arguing a lot with my husband as well as isolating. That being said I decided to quit taking it... at first I cut the tablets in half (I was also hoping that maybe a smaller dose than the 50mg would be the key) but I couldnt tell much of a difference. I then for some ridiculous reason gave in and started taking the whole tablet again thinking Id continue on track until my next Drs appt and try something else but after another few days of it I couldn't take the mood swings and extreme fatigue anymore. Today was my 4th day going cold turkey and each day has been a little easier than the last. I'll tell you that I was a little afraid of trying it because I had had an incredibly horrible and scary time coming off Effexor (I ended up opening up those capsules and litterally shaving off minute bits at a time over several months). Ive had headaches (none that were debilitating and I found that a one aspirin and one ibuprofen worked fairly well), slight muscle twitches now and again and those annoying electrical abberrations that make me a little dizzy. There are a few other minor annoyances such as just a little bit of an upset stomach & a few minor hot flashes now and again (mostly in the night). The very worst of it has been -and this sounds ridculous- REALLY itchy feet!!! The itches come mainly at night time and are about to drive me insane... Im going to try a little benadryl tonight. Last night was a weekend night so I tried to just stay up as long as I could so Id be too tired to be so bothered with the incessant itching. Staying up did help so Im doing it again tonight. I imagine that at the rate Im progressing I'll hopefully be symptom free in the next 2-3 days(?). If I had it to do over again I think Id start with the smaller dose (1/2 tablet) for a week and then go to 1/4 tablet for another few days before stopping all together. I just got too impatient and I was eating so much that I was uncomfortable and full all the time. I think i probably gained 5-7 lbs over the month to month and a half period I was taking Pristiq... and even then I was trying to counteract my appetite with exercising 30 min 3-4 times a week. Anyway, I know I ramble on and on but I hope the info helps. You're one of the few people Ive read about that has had many of the same symptoms with Pristiq as I have... thank you for your post, I thought I was a complete odd ball. Take care!

Closed Thread