HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Depression (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/)
-   -   depression and nursing school. (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/676061-depression-nursing-school.html)

Tjay718 03-04-2009 08:13 PM

depression and nursing school.

I have been diagnosed with depression due to nursing school. I was thinking about changing my major to psychology. I am kind of interested in psychology and its probably going to be much easier to get through then nursing school. the thing is, am finding it difficult to make a choice. The thought of continuing nursing school makes me anxiuos because I think about all the work and crap we have to go through and its only gonna get worse my senior year. But if i stay with nursing I know am almost grauranteed a job after graduation and I also have a year left in the program. now, If i choose psychology, i think am going to be struggling to find a job and am not going to be making that much money. that's what am worried about. I just dont know what to do. If I continue nursing am going to have to take my antidepressant pills and anxiety pills everyday because i cant do without them if i continue that program. With psychology I dont know. I have a friend who is a psychology major and she says its easier and more enjoyable. she transfered from a biology major. sometimes i feel like am not strong enough to deal with the stress and the constant hard work that comes with nursing, that why i feel that i should stop wasting my time and money, switch my major and graduate and call it a day. with psychology I also have a year left if i can go to summer school, the same with nursing. so really dont know what to do. I know iam kinda taking the easy way out, but am tired of feeling depressed and am tired of being in school for long. Am 23 years old and still a friggin junior!!! that's sooooo embarrasing. because of nursing's standardized test every semester, if you fail 3 times they drop your classes. so that holds you back. am tired of getting held back even though i got held back once. I just wish i could make a final decision and be done with it, but its pure hell making a decision because i dont want to mess up my life of my future and i alos want a job that's going to help me pay for my loans and other bills i have too. I just dont know what to do anymore. I cry everyday bacause I feel like am messing up my life and a wasting more money. am just tired of everything especially school.:( if anyone reads this, please give me some advice. thank you.

lonelygurl2 03-05-2009 01:12 PM

Re: depression and nursing school.

Making decisions for school is very hard and it is much worse when you are depressed.

I'm in my 40's and still switch around with school and can't make up my mind.

It seems sad if you only have a year left in nursing to drop out now. If you only have a year left it would seem worth sticking out the year and finishing, but if you feel so strongly that you can't handle finishing than you may need to switch.

Just try to look deep inside yourself and be sure that your depression is because of nursing and not something more something inside yourself. It has taken me many many years to learn that it wasn't the outside problems it was me that was the problem. I would think if I do this or that, or change this or that, it would be better and it never was. Now I feel I've completely messed up my life and can't seem to get back on track.

You are young. If you finish nursing you could still go back and do another program. My one professor said money should never be an issue. You will always have bills, it is a fact of life. She spent almost 10 years in university and now is a professor. She too was undecided what she wanted to do. I wish I had of done that when I was younger rather than waiting till I was this age.

Mable08 03-05-2009 02:09 PM

Hi Tjay718,

I totally understand your situation.

I am also in a health care program which I loved so much, and is really demanding all over the world. However, this program has a lot of class work and clinical work at the same time. Students in my program started to quit or take time off. I have been really depressed and anxious, and I figured that I do not like this field as much as I thought. But I am not sure if this is because of my anxiety/depression. I was thinking of quiting. But I have spent so much money and time, and am more than half way through my program. So I stick to my program and if I want to do something else, I can always go back to school after I graduate from the program I am in now.

Like what lonelygurl2 said, you have to make sure your depression is from nursing but not something inside yourself, and know that you can always go back to school and do another program.

Tjay718 03-05-2009 07:37 PM

thanks for the replies. I feel like my depression is diffenetly from nursing school. ever since i started my second semester in january its been down hill for me. I have a year left in psychology if I go to summer school. If am not able to, its a year and a half. Its the same thing with nursing. If I continue and am able to go to summer school, then its going to be a year and a half since I had to drop a class this semester. I have never felt the way I do in my life until this semester started. I feel like getting an education is getting an education wither its nursing or psychology. the only thing am worried about is not finding a job with psychology when I get out of school. with nursing of course youll always have a job, but with a bs in psych, you have to go to grad school and i dont have money for it and honesty I dont want to go anyway because am getting sick and tired of school period.

2Fly 03-05-2009 10:00 PM

How strange Tjay! I'm going through almost the exact thing.. I'm also in my second semester of nursing school and I've been feeling depressed ever since my first semester. I'm finding the school work completely overwelming, and from the beginning, I've felt like everyone in my program knows more than me!
It's incredibly frustrating because this is my SECOND degree, and I'm spending a ridiculous amount of money to be in the school that I'm in.
I failed my first exam this week in school, just because I could not get myself to study. I'm finding the classes overwelming, because even as an undergrad, I never took 19 credits a semester.
I have been walking around Miserable for the last 2 months, and it's gotten to a point where I feel like the stress is driving me insane. For my own sanity, it might be viable to take off a semester.

Mr.G 03-06-2009 01:52 AM

Hey I know nursing is a hard degree but if you can go through with it diff do it. I have several friends who do it and it is a very promesing career. I know how you feel about the age thing. I didn't graduate college until I was 24. I sat around for nearly 3 yrs trying to get a job! It didnt happen and just enlisted in the airforce in a field that works with my degree so I am happy about that. I am going to be 27 in june...so I am going to feel like the old foogie in there. I am in great shape though, but I understand how you feel. It is hard going through college, I loved the social part of it soo much but the schooling was lameo. I am just going to be takeing more now though. My job training is 5 months and then when I get in I am going to apply for an officer position and work on getting a masters degree. I think this is just how life is though. I have been jobless for quite some time lvn with parents and I can tell you I miss college and work. I will be happy when I get into the airforce and back into the scheme of things...

Tjay718 03-06-2009 07:37 PM

Thanks for you reply Mr.G. It has definetly made me feel much better. Now I know am not the only one out there going through what am going through. I hope that everything works out good for you. I also hope that you continue on the right track and become successful:)

Tjay718 03-06-2009 07:45 PM

thanks 4 your input 2fly:) I totally know exactly what your going through, especially about feeling that everyone in your class is smarter than you. Well, at least you have a degree already:) Has people been telling you to just stick it out? its going to be okay? I just cant stand when people do that because they dont realize how stressful nursing school really is. But, it might be a good idea to take a break like you said, so you dont lose you mind. Iam scared to take a break because I know am not going to go back to school.
By the way, what did you get your first degree in?

sarah408 03-07-2009 07:19 PM

HI Tjay718,

I feel for you, it's a hard situation to be in.
Does your college have career counselling? most do. You might find talking to a career counsellor beneficial and the services on campus should be free.

I'm a student, in my 40's, making a career change so am studying career counselling actually. Your dilemma is one that counsellors often deal with.
It might be worth looking into.

I wish you all the best!!!

Tjay718 03-07-2009 09:39 PM

thanks sarah408 for your reply. Ive did some conseling at my school and it pointed to health,social and behavior. Its like i feel soo stuck. On monday am suppose to be talking with someone in the psychology department so they can tell me what all i could do with a psychology degree and hopefully lead me in the right direction. Iam really not sure what am doing anymore but I need to get some sort of education. I just dont want to struggle when i get out of school or not have any money, or have to move back in with my mother.

traeh 04-01-2010 02:19 AM

Hi TJay,

It's funny that I saw this. I googled it, because I am in nursing school right now and it is honestly HORRID. I mean just AWFUL. I have truly never been so miserable in my life. I think most of it has to do with the severe corruption and abuse...from students, staff, etc. It gives one a taste of what the actual field will be like. My depression and anxiety are through the roof. I had to see a psychiatrist and I was prescribed something for both. Neither have really helped and I have noticed that I am resorting to an awful lot of pill poppin lately. One for anxiety...one for depression...one to sleep...and I still can barely pay attention. I would just give ANYTHING to get more than 4-5 hours of sleep per night. I'm breaking out...gaining weight. It seems SO unhealthy for a career that is focused on health.

I know your post is not new, but I wanted to see how you were doing and what you chose. It sounds like you might go to my school! What is the name of your college? Do you think that nursing is a bad field, or is it this college? I understand everything you are going through and totally agree..it's crappy!