It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Can medication change a long lasting thought?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
    jnn
    (female)

jnn HB User
    Can medication change a long lasting thought?

I don't see any hope, and I have been like this since childhood. Counseling has helped me change a lot of my negative thoughts, but I still don't see any hope. I am still thinking of ending my life at some point.

What should I do with my hopelessness? Do I have to live with it till whenever I decide to end it? I have a diagnosis of depression, but refused to take antidepressants because I did't think they will help. But my doctor kept saying it will change my negative thoughts. Will medication help change a thought that developed in my childhood?!?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
    DebGrl
    (female)

DebGrl HB User
    Re: Can medication change a long lasting thought?

Hey Jnn,
    I probably can't help you much I feel the same way you do, but I've taken every medication there is for depression and nothing has helped me, I've been so depressed for sooooo long, and all I can think about is ending it, the idea sometimes seems like it would be so peaceful to just be out of this misery
    I don't go anywhere anymore, and have Social anxiety
    I do wish you the best,
    Debora E.

The following user gives a hug of support to DebGrl:
    Moo77 (12-04-2010)
    Old 07-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
    Kiasmama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiasmama HB User

Medication can certainly help, but there is only one way to find out....try it. Sometimes it's a trial and error process that can last many months, but in the end it's probably worth it. Long term change is only made with practice practice practice. It might sound silly, but that's really the only way the brain can make the necessary changes. New pathways need to be formed, new motivations need to be learned and that takes time.

I wouldn't think about ending your life....the end will come soon enough.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
    jnn
    (female)

jnn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Debora E. View Post
    Hey Jnn,
    I probably can't help you much I feel the same way you do, but I've taken every medication there is for depression and nothing has helped me, I've been so depressed for sooooo long, and all I can think about is ending it, the idea sometimes seems like it would be so peaceful to just be out of this misery
    I don't go anywhere anymore, and have Social anxiety
    I do wish you the best,
    Debora E.
    Sorry that meds didn't help you. I am worried about that too...... I am so sick of living with hopelessness..... I wish you the best too. J.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
    jnn
    (female)

jnn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kiasmama View Post
    Medication can certainly help, but there is only one way to find out....try it. Sometimes it's a trial and error process that can last many months, but in the end it's probably worth it. Long term change is only made with practice practice practice. It might sound silly, but that's really the only way the brain can make the necessary changes. New pathways need to be formed, new motivations need to be learned and that takes time.

I wouldn't think about ending your life....the end will come soon enough.
    I am so afraid of trying though, I heard enough bad testimonies..... and I see it as my last chance, so I am afraid if it didn't work, the end will come.

Last edited by jnn; 07-07-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
    someboddy
    (male)

someboddy HB User

Hi JNN and others,

Meds certainly can and do reduce the frequency of negative thoughts. That is their purpose, as well as reducing the effect of many symptoms on us, physically and mentally. Once a depression is relieved most of those negative thoughts do not even occur to us.

But meds do not cure depression, YOU have to do that.

The process is that you learn all you can about depression, how it works, what it does to you and how to deal with that. Using meds reduces the effect of the negative thoughts and allows us to think more rationally and clearly.

The purpose of that is obviously to help us live but mainly to allow us time to examine our lives, the past and present for what caused the depression and what may continue to cause it. Then we need to make decisions about what to change to prevent it coming back.

An example? A simple one. Having a physically violent partner or parent will certainly bring on depression in time. If we continue to live with that person our depression can only get worse. It won't just stop. Taking meds won't stop that type of oppression either, it won't make us feel any better while we are being abused, or after such.

So the answer to that situation is more than likely to live away from that person. Leave them or leave home, whichever is relevant. Without that abuse we have a chance of a good life you see.

But being able to do the leaving is the big test and that's where meds do help. They allow us to see clearly the problem and that we are strong enough to leave.

That's just one example. Another may be that we simply eat the wrong foods, don't exercise and don't exercise our minds either (reading, study and so on). Seeing things clearly we can recognise that, certainly whilst doing therapy the therapist will notice it and you then have a choice. Change your habits or stay how you are.

Therapy and talking about it is by far the most succesful way to get through it and recover. If you can find the initial cause and the triggers from day to day then you have a plan for how to change it don't you?

It's not hopeless and neither are any of us, the illness makes us feel that.

Meds of course are variable and it can take time to find one that helps, we are all different in that way. But if you just accept the misery then hope is a long way off. You see therapy works but if you are too depressed it doesn't as you don't think clearly and focus on the little miseries of each day rather than long term goals and aims.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
    Kiasmama
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiasmama HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnn View Post
    I am so afraid of trying though, I heard enough bad testamonies..... and I see it as my last chance, so I am afraid if it didn't work, the end will come.
    Unfortunately you usually only hear the bad stories. For those that vent on various message boards, there might be ten people that had good experiences, but didn't take time to post about it. Usually negatives are voiced, and positives are not.

It might take some time to find the right meds, so don't lose hope. There always options. It will never be your last chance, or final chance or however you want to say it. New studies are done monthly and research is on-going.

Give the meds a try and believe in them. If you keep thinking that they aren't going to work...then they probably won't. Try to have positive thoughts about the meds, therapy and even life. I know it's hard...remarkably hard sometimes, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
    Puffin Cat
    (female)

Puffin Cat HB User

Dear Someboddy, you have made me feel better reading your explanation and advice. Thank you so much

Old 08-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
    Survivor3
    Veteran
    (male)

Survivor3 HB User

Quote:
    I don't see any hope, and I have been like this since childhood. Counseling has helped me change a lot of my negative thoughts, but I still don't see any hope. I am still thinking of ending my life at some point.

What should I do with my hopelessness? Do I have to live with it till whenever I decide to end it? I have a diagnosis of depression, but refused to take antidepressants because I did't think they will help. But my doctor kept saying it will change my negative thoughts. Will medication help change a thought that developed in my childhood?!?!
    I doubt a thought dating back to childhood can be medicated effectively. CBT or perhaps traditional therapy can resolve that, given time and persistence. Having said that, medication could drive the will to succeed.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
    joetheman9
    (male)

joetheman9 HB User

Quote:

++++++++++++++++++
    Yes, Medicine can change the way you see the world. If you see the world differently your obsessive thoughts can change. You sound very hopeless,
    and should be talking with a therapist, (I know it doesn't help... you have done that already) but find one that works well with you. Keep trying, to find the answer... you never know whats around the next corner. JC

Closed Thread