It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Anyone Add Seroquel to an AD to Help Depression?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
    Anyone Add Seroquel to an AD to Help Depression?

Sorry I keep starting threads, I'm trying (again) to find something to add to my lexapro to help the depression.

The abilify worked, but i was allergic to it.

Another member brought up seroquel because it is in the same class of drugs.

I think it works by boosting serotonin and dopamine. If anyone knows more about this, please let me know...i may not be correct.

Has it worked for anyone added to an antidepressant?

Thank you very much,
    Salty

Last edited by salty; 07-12-2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: added

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
    granny0
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

granny0 HB User
    Re: Anyone Add Seroquel to an AD to Help Depression?

Hi Salty,

Me again

I take 50 mg of Seroquel at bedtime. To me, it's very sedating. I've taken it a few times during the day when I was very anxious but it makes you tired. I don't know that it would help with depression at the dose I take. I do know it would be a little hard to function with a sharp mind if I took it for more than sleep. It does work great for sleep though.

Best wishes,

JB

Old 07-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you, JB, for being here. As i answered in the other thread i'm trying to find something similar to abilify--having a hard time searching because my internet provider is having problems...i found out it's called a dopamine-serotonin system stabilizer.

I'm afraid that it might be the first one ever though.

I'm going to start a thread, maybe someone will know.

I originally thought that low doses of seroquel would work in a similar way.

Hugs,
    Salty

Old 07-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
    Cowpin8
    (male)

Cowpin8 HB User

I have been taking Seroquel for 2 years. I am supposed to take 200mg. at bedtime. However I only take 100mg. (I cut the pill in half). 200mgs. knocks me on my butt. I am a 40-year old male, 230 pounds. (Healthy 230 pounds from weightlifting) BUT 200 mg. of Seroquel knocks me out like getting hit with a sledgehammer! My heart drastically slows down, my breathing gets very shallow and I get very foggy and zombie-like. When I take half (100mg.) it makes me sleepy within 90 minutes. I do not feel my heart slowing down as much and my breathing feels normal. I dont think that the Seroquel helps with my Depression or PTSD, but anything that allows me to sleep probably helps. I also have Panic attacks which seem to be very strong lately. When I was taking the 200mg. of Seroquel I thought I was going to stop breathing. That is how strong it is!!! I hope you and everyone out here feels better. Be careful taking this medication ESPECIALLY if you are taking other ant-anxiety medications. ALSO, DO NOT EAT GRAPEFRUITS OR DRINK GRAPEFRUIT JUICE.
    Please let me know how the Seroquel works for you. I am very curious. Good Luck. On a side-note...It is amazing how just reading and responding on this Healthboard forum makes me feel better. Its like I forget about my problems and they go away for a little while. I am going to try to be more active on this forum. Thanks for listening to me.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
    salty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Cowpin8, thank you so much. I am going to try something similiar to abilify on Wed. I may be allergic to it as i was the abil., but it's worth a try.

I am already on klon. for sleep so won't do the seroq. right now (unless i get desperate)--right now i have a little hope for the new med.

The boards are the best! I don't know what i would do without them or the people on them--they have helped me many, many times. I'm so grateful for them.

I'm trying to help this depression and the abil. as as add-on did that so maybe this cousin of it will too. I have hope again which is nice.

Thank you very much for writing and i will keep this post in mind. I may need the seroquel in the not so distant future.

I hope you get help for the panic attacks...generic klonopin works for me and has for many years for that & as i said helps my sleep, too.

Search on the boards or post a thread, you will get more answers. Just wanted you to know what helps me.

Hugs,
    Salty

Closed Thread