It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• taking st. john's wort and b-complex?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
    KannD86
    (female)

KannD86 HB User
    taking st. john's wort and b-complex?

I take two 300mg St. John's Wort tablets everyday for depression. I think it's been working well enough, except lately, I think I need to be taking something else as well. I was reading about B-12 and folic acid for depression. It looks like some b-complex contain both (some don't). Would it be a good idea to take St. John's Wort and a b-complex? Should the b-complex definitely contain both b-12 and folic acid? What dose should I try? I don't want to combine anything that shouldn't be combined. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2009, 03:06 AM   #2
    Cowsandcows15
    Inactive
    (male)

Cowsandcows15 HB User
    Re: taking st. john's wort and b-complex?

There should be no problem combining any B vitimains with St John's worth. The only interactions really know for St johns worth is taking it with something such as an SSRI, or another form of antidepressant (sertonin syndrome risk).

Low B-12, and folic acid have been said to be present in many patients who are depressed. If you think you need something else to boost it, I think it's definetly worth a try. Try to find a B-complex that contains nearly all the B vitimains in it. I myself have a b-complex that contains every B vitimain in it.

And going the natural route, you may want to try magnesium also. Magnesium along with B-12 are the most common deficiencies in people with depression.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
    KannD86
    (female)

KannD86 HB User

Thank you. I will look for a B-complex containing all the B-vitamins and I'll look for magnesium as well. Any advice on dosage? I started taking 3 St. John's Wort tablets (900 mg) because I read that was a generally effective dose for mild depression.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:54 AM   #4
    Cowsandcows15
    Inactive
    (male)

Cowsandcows15 HB User

That dosage of 900MG daily is about the normal dose for treating mild/moderate depression. Although since you still feel like it's not working enough, when treating major depression normally the dose is more in the 1200MG range.

How is your diet like, and do you take any vitamins? If you have a good diet, then you very well may not even be deficient in any vitamins or minerals. If that's the case, then perhaps slightly upping the dose is your best bet. If you though are deficient in any of the Vitamins listed below, then if I where you I'd probably start taking the vitamin supplements first, and see if that works well enough for you.

Personally I take something called Probiotic Nutrients "CoEnzyme B food Complex". By food complex they mean the tablets are in their most natural form possible, food form, that way allow for most absorption in the body. It contains all the daily needed amount of: B1, B2, B3, B6, Folate, and B-12.

I also take a Magnesium supplement, that also contains many other Vitamins in it, it contains over 100% of the DV needed for Magnesium, and also has a little bit of many others: Vitiamin A, C, D3, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, and Potassium. So ust in just those two supplements I take above, it contains all of those very important vitamins in them. So try to find a supplement that contains the most in one, so you won't have to be buying many different supplements to take. BUT what matters most is QUALITY of the supplements you get. Natural, high-quality supplements really are superior compared to the standard Synthetic man-made multi-vitamins out there.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:56 AM   #5
    ananas
    (female)

ananas HB User

Cowsandcows15 - can you please let us know the exact Magnesium supplement that you are taking? I found the following website helpful: < edited > though it advises taking Magnesium in chelated (bound to) combinations, which is a little confusing for me. Do you know anything about this? I'm also unclear about the best combination of Magnesium and Vitamins B (how many B vitamins are there?? what is the difference between them and how much of each do I need?)

I'm only just getting started on all of this. What else should I be taking?? I'm primarily looking for solutions to relieve anxiety/depression but reading up on this makes me feel like I probably need to take supplements for lots of other things as well! < edited > which include Magnesium, whereas my current multivitamin does, but then they don't include Vitamins B! The author seems very specific about the chelated Magnesium supplements but I'm not sure if these multivitamins that he/she recommends are chelated. Also not sure which Magnesium supplement is better (he/she) recommends a few. I'm very confused! Any help would be appreciated!! :-)

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-16-2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Closed Thread