It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• HELP...started Sertraline and can't sleep! :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
    DeweyTeachnGal
    (female)

DeweyTeachnGal HB User
    HELP...started Sertraline and can't sleep! :(

I just started Sertraline today and I can't sleep, and I am desperate. I have to be awake at 6 and won't be able to teach or function without sleep. Is it safe to take half a Unisom with this medication? I am desperate...I am dead tired and can't stop yawning, yet my eyes just pop right back open as soon as close them. I am miserable and all I want to do is sleep, but I can't. Please help if you can!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2009, 05:42 AM   #2
    hopeforpeace70
    (female)

hopeforpeace70 HB User
    Re: HELP...started Sertraline and can't sleep! :(

This may be a side effect that will pass after a few weeks. My doc said that many people who start anti-depressants have anxiety about taking the meds. This happened to me when I first started taking an ad and I toughed it out. It subsided after a few weeks. Try not to stress yourself out by thinking that your not going to get enough sleep. This alone may be the culprit. You should also contact your doctor. He/she may be able to prescribe you something to help you through until your body gets used to your medication.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
    ExtremelyWired
    (male)

ExtremelyWired HB User

You will find that taking a medication like Lorazepam short term will make the whole start up period of Zoloft much easier. Whether or not your sleep issue is due to Zoloft or just your increased anxiety of starting it, the results are the same. Your doctor shouldn’t have any issues prescribing a drug like Lorazepam short term if you explain your situation.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
    DeweyTeachnGal
    (female)

DeweyTeachnGal HB User

Thanks! I definitely think it was anxiety about taking the meds in the first place because I am aware of the side effects that they can cause. I was eventually able to fall asleep after a couple hours, but 3 hours of sleep a night isn't going to cut it when I am teaching! I took another 25 mg this morning, and besides a couple slight dizzy spells and a headache, I overall feel a lot calmer and not so worked about little things. I only hope to improve from here on out.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
    frankfurter
    (female)

frankfurter HB User

hi ive been on sertraline for twelve weeks now . i started on 50mg and had it increased to 100mg after six weeks. im not sleepin either at first i thought it was the depression and anxiety i suffer from. im now feeling really well but im still not sleepin it takes about 2hrs to get to sleep and then im awake again after four or five hours. idont feel tired but i must be. seeing doc in two weeks will mention it then. AFTER SAYING THAT ID RATHER PUT UP WITH NOT SLEEPIN THAN HAVE THE DEPRESSION / ANXIETY. ILL LET YOU KNOW HOW I GET ON. CHIN UP KIDDO

Old 10-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
    DeweyTeachnGal
    (female)

DeweyTeachnGal HB User

I now have been able to get to sleep at night within a half hour. I do randomly wake up in the middle of the night and sometimes forget where I am! It is pretty bizarre. I am only on my 6th day of Sertraline at 25 mg, and now I sweat constantly, and have a headache pretty much all the time. I went to see my friends' band play last night and I was standing still at times could not stop sweating, it was insane! I also find at times that I will be really hungry and can't wait to eat, and then I take 3 bites of the food that I was so excited for, and I am full and can't eat the rest. I've been hungry all day today so far, but have no desire to eat anything. Normally on a lazy rainy day I wouldn't mind sitting around and snacking while cleaning and watching TV...I guess the depression and anxiety had a big part to play in that. Anyone experience the sweating, headaches, dizzyness, and sudden loss of appetite even when you're hungry?

Closed Thread