It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Seroquel...Can anyone Help...???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
    BamBamBam
    (male)

BamBamBam HB User
    Seroquel...Can anyone Help...???

Greetings,

I have some pretty bad depression. I'm 49 years old and have been taking 2 x 30mg daily of Paxil for about the last 10 years. Until now it's generally "taken the edge off", but lately things have been piling up and my depression is getting worse. Because of work, lifestyle and family things that have been creeping up on me, I went to my Doctor and described to him that I couldn't get to sleep at night because my mind was racing a mile a minute, even after taking Zopiclone (a sleeping pill) and Ativan. He has now advised me to try a very small dose of Seroquel and I see it's used in Bipolar and Schizophrenia treatment.

I don't believe I have either disorder and nor does my Doctor, but he advises me that it will help shut off my brain so I can get to sleep. I have to be honest and admit I scared out of my mind at the thought of taking this stuff as I don't have Psychotic episodes nor any of the disorders it's normally prescribed for.

Anyone with any information or advice, I'd love to hear it as I'm very reluctant to get on this stuff for depression and a mind that races like a bat out of hell at bed time....Thoughts....anyone....????

Cheers

Bam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
    lonelygurl2
    (female)

lonelygurl2 HB User
    Re: Seroquel...Can anyone Help...???

I take Seroquel. I was given it for anxiety and rage. It relaxes you and helps you sleep. Before Seroquel I had a lot of trouble with sleep now I can sleep throught most nights without waking up.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I have been taking Seroquel for the last year or so and it greatly helps with the racing mind plus a few other things. One of my diagnoses is severe major depressive disorder with psychotic features , basically I use to see and hear things that were not there. I also had a huge problem with self harm as my brain would be running off the only thing that would stop it would be the self harm behavior. Thankfully the Seroquel keeps my brain running at a decent speed and now I have the opportunity to think before I do anything irrational. The bad side of Seroquel is that it is one of those meds that seems to be needing constant dosage changes in my experience although it could be the nature of my illness. It is also a drug where you need to watch what you eat pretty carefully or your weight can sky rocket and diabetes may come a calling. When I first added Seroquel to my bedtime med (temazapam) it kept me asleep all night which is something that temazapam could not due on its own. Seroquel at a low dose tends to knock people out so be prepared but for whatever the reason as the drug is increased this side effect goes away as I take 100mg four times a day to control my racing brain. Any questions just post them here and I am usually around. take care
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 12-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
    BamBamBam
    (male)

BamBamBam HB User

Thanks for the info. I took it last night. 1 25mg tab before I went to bed. It knocked me out alright but I felt weird in the morning. Well rested but I felt really nervous and anxious. I had to do some pretty heavy yard work today and it seemed to lighten up a bit when I was being physical but when I stopped to have a rest, the anxious and foggy feelings came back.

At least I got a good nights sleep. I'd like to be able to fall asleep like that every night but if I have to wake up like that every day as I head off to work, I don't think I can stick with it. I have a sedentary job and if the only thing that takes care of the fogginess and the anxiousness is physical work, a career change isn't possible.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Bam

Old 12-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

The next morning effect tends to become shorter and shorter the more often that you take it once your brain becomes adjusted to the med.
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 12-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
    lonelygurl2
    (female)

lonelygurl2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BamBamBam View Post
    Thanks for the info. I took it last night. 1 25mg tab before I went to bed. It knocked me out alright but I felt weird in the morning. Well rested but I felt really nervous and anxious. I had to do some pretty heavy yard work today and it seemed to lighten up a bit when I was being physical but when I stopped to have a rest, the anxious and foggy feelings came back.

At least I got a good nights sleep. I'd like to be able to fall asleep like that every night but if I have to wake up like that every day as I head off to work, I don't think I can stick with it. I have a sedentary job and if the only thing that takes care of the fogginess and the anxiousness is physical work, a career change isn't possible.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Bam
    You might find taking it about an hour or so before bed is good. Also, you will feel a bit sluggish in the morning for a bit. I found after a few weeks your body adjusts and you don't feel so foggy.

Closed Thread