HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Depression (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/)
-   -   Best Antidepresssants for Low Energy? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/732989-best-antidepresssants-low-energy.html)

KYtired6473 01-26-2010 11:40 PM

Best Antidepresssants for Low Energy?

Sorry if there's already a thread, but I searched a few pages & didn't find it and there are TONS of pages. It's 1:25 AM, I'm tired and in a hurry.

I've tried several antidepressants in the past and all except 2 of them made me sicker. The two that didn't (Effexor and Serzone) didn't do anything at all. I really don't want to take any, but I can't afford an alternative. Anything else I know about is more expensive. Due to my health (both depression and physical problems) I've been out of work for nearly 4 years, have no insurance, no money (aside from occasional pet-sitting gigs) and am dependent (much to my extreme mortification) upon others.

I have the kind of depression that (along with my physical problems) SUCKS all the energy right out of me. I'm super tired ALL the time. Those other antidepressants I took made me even MORE tired. Talk about heartbreaking! After the last one I tried (Zoloft, which made me a miserable zombie, dazed & dozing), I vowed never to try them again. But I recently saw a nurse practitioner (who is also a family friend) and she recommended Prozac. Told me good things about it, said it could help with energy. [COLOR="Red"]PLEASE[/COLOR], can someone tell me from personal experience (or from the experience of someone you personally know) if this is true? I AM [COLOR="red"]NOT[/COLOR] the anxious, panic-attack, nervous depressed person. [COLOR="red"]The last thing I need is something to make me even more tired. [/COLOR] I can't function properly as it is. I have NO life. Most of my days consist of being online all day. It is AGONY. [SIZE="4"][COLOR="red"]I. NEED. ENERGY.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

So, is [COLOR="red"]Prozac[/COLOR] a good idea? If not, do you know of something else that is? I'm at the end of my frayed rope and have been hanging there for many years (I'm 36 & have been depressed since childhood. It stole my life). Don't know how much longer I can do it. I HATE drugs, but if this could significantly help me, I'll do it. I have the prescription already. Just torn on whether or not to get it filled.

[COLOR="Purple"]THANKS IN ADVANCE.[/COLOR]

fred54 01-28-2010 07:17 PM

Re: Best Antidepresssants for Low Energy?

Hi, and the very first time I tried Prozac it gave me energy plus I got up earlier in the morning instead of sleeping all day like I was. Maybe it will work for you.

Provigil is also good for energy but expensive and now I take Lexapro which doesn't really give me energy but doesn't make me tired either. Low dose tho.

Good luck and God bless.

digmusic 01-28-2010 07:46 PM

I've heard wellbutrin has somewhat of a stimulating effect. I took it for a very short time and then couldn't anymore because I have seizures and you aren't supposed to take it if you have seizures.

coping1 01-28-2010 08:05 PM

I am on Wellbutrin XL 150 and it does give me more energy. I only take it one time a day in the mornings. I was suppose to up the dose to twice a day but found that taking it at night kept me awake and I was improving on the one dose a day. It has the added effect of helping with weight loss!!

Good luck!

KYtired6473 01-29-2010 09:38 PM

Thanks so much, y'all, especially [COLOR="Magenta"]fred54[/COLOR]. I didn't think anyone was going to reply. :)

Hm. Getting up earlier sounds great. Getting into a more normal sleep/wake cycle period sounds great. If it's a significant amount of energy and the side effects aren't too terrible, maybe I'll do it. But I'd like to get even more and more detailed info first. So, if anyone else sees this and can share their [COLOR="Red"]Prozac[/COLOR] story in relation to low energy, I'd very much appreciate reading it. I'm very much at this point where . . . I don't know. It's the worst it's ever been (and it's been exceedingly bad for a very long time). If something amazing doesn't happen for me, I have no future. Things will only get worse and worse until I'm in a state that's worse than death. I can't work. I can't get disability (I'm hoping one day I can, with the help of my new Nurse Practitioner). I'm only getting sicker. And this is NOT living. It's existing. Like moss on a tree. I'm not any good to anyone but my 2 cats. (At least there's that!) I am, in fact, a draining burden. My existence is and has been like "Groundhog Day" (The Dark, Torturous Version ;)) for a very long time. My ability to hang in there and keep sane is rapidly breaking down.

Again, thanks so much for the replies; it was very kind of you all. :)

fred54 02-22-2010 05:49 PM

[QUOTE=KYtired6473;4174244]Thanks so much, y'all, especially [COLOR="Magenta"]fred54[/COLOR]. I didn't think anyone was going to reply. :)

Hm. Getting up earlier sounds great. Getting into a more normal sleep/wake cycle period sounds great. If it's a significant amount of energy and the side effects aren't too terrible, maybe I'll do it. But I'd like to get even more and more detailed info first. So, if anyone else sees this and can share their [COLOR="Red"]Prozac[/COLOR] story in relation to low energy, I'd very much appreciate reading it. I'm very much at this point where . . . I don't know. It's the worst it's ever been (and it's been exceedingly bad for a very long time). If something amazing doesn't happen for me, I have no future. Things will only get worse and worse until I'm in a state that's worse than death. I can't work. I can't get disability (I'm hoping one day I can, with the help of my new Nurse Practitioner). I'm only getting sicker. And this is NOT living. It's existing. Like moss on a tree. I'm not any good to anyone but my 2 cats. (At least there's that!) I am, in fact, a draining burden. My existence is and has been like "Groundhog Day" (The Dark, Torturous Version ;)) for a very long time. My ability to hang in there and keep sane is rapidly breaking down.

Again, thanks so much for the replies; it was very kind of you all. :)[/QUOTE]

KYtired6473, just wondering how you were doing and hope things aren't as hopeless as your last post seemed to be. I feel the same way at times but hope and pray that things will get better and sometimes they do.

Did you ever try the Prozac and did it help? I forgot to tell you about another AD that really gave me energy, it's called Reboxetine. I just started back on it again because the Lexapro I was on was starting to drain me of energy and causing me to gain weight. If you do an internet search you can find out more about it.

Hope you are OK...remember your cats need you! ( I have one to). lol

FitTeach8 02-23-2010 07:13 PM

I have been on Prozac for four weeks ---- Sometimes I feel wired and other times I am exhausted --- However, in regards to getting up in the mornings... I am getting up on time for work without a problem -- If you have a prescription , then I say try it for awhile and see where you stand with it ---
I tried Wellbutrin and it made me break out in a horrible horrible rash/hives and made me have terrible headaches --

good luck --