It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Question on Celexa (Citalopram)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
    AnonymousT
    (female)

Location: I am a male goshdarnit.. why does it show as female!
    AnonymousT HB User
    Question on Celexa (Citalopram)

Hey, anyone taken Celexa?

I started taking Lexapro last October, and after a month switch to Celexa as there was some undesirable side affects. (Note that I was prescribed this for anxiety - not depression). I moved from 5mg Lexapro to 20mg Celexa.. and alot of my anxiety decreased. Within a few months though I was hit hard by a bout of depression that lasted close to a month. It started to clear up eventually, but my doctor jumped me up to 30mg of the Celexa to help get me past it. On the 30 mg, it was great for the first month and a half. Like.. no more anxiety, no more depression.. I felt pretty good. Apparently my personality changed however, I became more aggresive, rude, etc. Not a change that I noticed, but changes that my friends noticed. And now, once again it appears that another bout of depression is setting in (no energy, insomnia fluctuating with sleeping lots, lack of enjoyment in anything, no motivation to do anything... really even eat, can't get any work done, getting really paranoid, etc.).

Before taking the Celexa I'd have... depressive days, but now, these moods can last for days or even a month at a time, as well as the personality change. NAd yeah, I'll bring it up at my next doctors appointment.. but I'm sure he'll just be like, let's up the medication again, and if it's the Celexa that's causing this - I don't want to do that to myself. Anyone else have any similar experiences while on Celexa?

The Following User Says Thank You to AnonymousT For This Useful Post:
    petunia70 (11-03-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
    AnonymousT
    (female)

AnonymousT HB User
    Re: Question on Celexa (Citalopram)

appears that Celexa isn't to common of a drug I guess. In to see doc on Friday though. Get this sorted.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
    mmKay
    (female)

mmKay HB User

I've been on Celexa for a month, as an addition to Wellbutrin. I DO have some of the same symptoms as you, but I honestly can't say that it's from the medication alone. I think it might be from the depression. When my depression was really bad I literally stayed alone in my room laying in bed crying all day. When friends would call/text I just ignored it. Now I'm back to doing the everyday things, but most of the time I still want to be alone. There's certain people that keep bugging me and bugging me about hanging out.. and I can't make them get the clue nicely. It makes me really angry and frustrated and I end up saying mean things. Sounds like a normal reaction, but not for me. Before this, I NEVER EVER said anything mean, even to people I disliked. I don't know if these outbursts are because of the medicine or just because these people are just on my case so much that I can't take it.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
    painfulneck
    (female)

painfulneck HB User

I had the same effects on celexa. When I was first getting used to it I was short with people, snapping at my kids (then apologizing!) and real restless. I could hardly sit still. Then my body got used to that amount and that crabbiness was gone. Hopefully your doctor is working up your amount gradually. I don't feel the need to lay around alone crying all day. Good Luck to you.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
    AnonymousT
    (female)

AnonymousT HB User

After a doctors appointment, he said it likely wasn't side affects - but more to do with my depression and anxiety. He said that I should head back to therapy, however he allowed me to reduce back to 20mg.

. We'll see. I didn't have any of that.. till I was on the 30 a day. I'm guessing most of these effects will dissappear now that I'm back on 20.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
    xtreme88
    (male)

xtreme88 HB User

I got ringing in my ears and I was on this for only 1 week and i got off right away
    i took it for anxiety and i have never take anything like this before in my life

and now its been 3 months and i still have the ringing
    its making me insane and i have met alot of people on the net that this happened to and it might go away one day or never

Old 07-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
    bluerose1999
    (female)

bluerose1999 HB User

I have been on celexia for a couple years and it literally saved my life. The crabbyness sounds like part of the depression. My therapist told me when she discharged me that was one of the things I should watch for in a reoccurance of my depression. Maybe you need another med to enhance the celexia. I know they add meds to it alot. They tried to add one for me but I refused.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
    zoranm
    (female)

zoranm HB User

funny u said something about your personality changing because it wasn't apparent to me until i switched my med that people commented about how much calmer and that i am not as mean and rude as i use to be that i look back now and see it....i only switched because after 5 years its stopped working for me. Since then i am on effexor xr and it has been good. I don't even know if i cried for 5 years over anything as i didn't care about much and seemed to be a very pessimistic person and had the attitude of " i don't care". So i don't think it's your imagination. Other symptoms i had were constant yawning and i gained about 40 lbs too. But i did have great success on this med for my ocd and depression.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
    Demian38
    (male)

Demian38 HB User

Hi this makes my second post. I'm new to the board but really find things interesting here since I too suffer with depression. I'm also on Celexa for my depression. One thing you can ask your doctor is if maybe Abilify of about 2 Mg would benefit you. My doctor put my on both Celexa 10 MG and Abilify which she says is like the happy pill. Alot of her patients do well with the Celexa and Abilify combo but understand not everyone is the same. Paxil did terrible for me but Celexa seems to be the key one along with Abilify.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
    mmKay
    (female)

mmKay HB User

I thought the Celexa wasn't doing anything for me, so after 3ish months I went off of it. Then I felt WAY better. It was making me feel worse and I didn't even know it!

Closed Thread