It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• dr says meds dont usually stop working?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
    son1981
    (male)

son1981 HB User
    dr says meds dont usually stop working?

I told my dr from back home that a few days i had thoughts of suicide and felt my meds dont work. Well he says only like 2 percent of peoples meds actually stop working and that people who poop out usually are doing something wrong or have some sort of situational depression. he says they are not happy pills and that i am probably feeling depression from consuming more then 1 cup of coffee a day?

I dont get it it seems like so many peoples meds stop working on them is my dr lying?

He says if my meds worked for the past 5 or 6 years they arent just going to one day stop working

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
    Re: dr says meds dont usually stop working?

He's right - antidepressants work mainly against endrogenous depression

They dont make miserable people happy

They dont peple depressed because of situational difficukties

They dont help people dissatisfied with life

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
    son1981
    (male)

son1981 HB User
    Question Re: dr says meds dont usually stop working?

then why on earth do so many people change meds even if they once worked? Placebo?

Old 03-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Maybe their illness changes?

Maybe they just keep changing hoping they will find "the one" that makes them happy, stops them disliking their wife, their job and their life, solves their money problems and makes them lose 20lb?

of course, some may realy have had meds that worked but they stopped, but from reading here, it seems many have tried every pill on the market and havent found relief - so it would seem that antidepressants are never going to help them

Last edited by jonnstar; 03-27-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
    sha2020
    (female)

sha2020 HB User

Just want to say I agree totally with Johnstar. Great insight. Many people want a pill for everything & although meds can help, you have to do some work yourself. I have been on one med for about 6 - 7 years & it works fine. I do have ups and downs, as is normal, and try to adjust my exercise & activities to make help cope with some of the downs.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
    kittywitty
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

son1981 -

Just want to chime in here with my two cents. Meds do crap out with some people. I was on Paxil for 8 months with regular increases and everything was going along fine. Well, at 60mgs it crapped out on me. I became horribly depressed, anxious, and suicidal again. I kept telling my doctor for 4 months straight that they had stopped working and that I wanted an increase or I wanted to go on a different med. He would do neither. Finally, on July 4 of that year, I attempted suicide. Luckily, my husband (then boyfriend) was there that day to impede my progess, otherwise I wouldn't be sitting here typing this. Anyway, I spent the night in the psych ward. Well, don't ya know that my doctor listened to me after that and I was placed on a different med! It shouldn't have had had to get to that level, though. I also want to add that I had been in therapy all along with a great therapist. My med just needed to be changed, and I needed someone to listen to me and do it. Like the others have mentioned, though, you do have to put forth some effort too. There's no magic pill. Are you in therapy at all? It can be very helpful. As for the meds, 5-6 years is quite a long time for your meds to all of a sudden crap out on you. Has it been awhile since you had an increase? Maybe it's time for one. Suicidal thoughts are serious business and nothing to play around with, believe me. Good luck to you.

Oh, I wanted to say, too, about the coffee, there's some validity in what your doctor says about it. As you know with caffeine, it speeds you up, but then you eventually crash and can have some rebound depression. This can obviously make any existing depression worse.

Last edited by kittywitty; 03-28-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
    Survivor3
    Veteran
    (male)

Survivor3 HB User

I don't know how often true tolerance happens with these drugs. However, additional explanations make sense imo. 1.Life is awfully hard to medicate. 2.The placebo effect

Old 03-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

If you're on a med and it isnt working, then you obviously need to change, wether you say the med has stopped working, or your illnes has changed, or whatever.

But, if you have tried 3 or 4 or more antidepressants and they have all failed (as many posters here seem to have) then its unlikely antidepressants are what you need.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
    Bonds81
    (male)

Bonds81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by son1981 View Post
    I told my dr from back home that a few days i had thoughts of suicide and felt my meds dont work. Well he says only like 2 percent of peoples meds actually stop working and that people who poop out usually are doing something wrong or have some sort of situational depression. he says they are not happy pills and that i am probably feeling depression from consuming more then 1 cup of coffee a day?
    I'm not a coffee drinker but an argument can be made in its favor, particularly where you're having suicidal thoughts. The research is at least interesting.

Has your consumption changed lately?

Closed Thread