It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Insomnia & Serzone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2001, 09:07 PM   #1
    BEK

BEK HB User
    Insomnia & Serzone

My depressed husband has been on 300 mgs of Serzone for about a month now. He is having terrible insomnia. Is this a typical side effect? If he takes more, will it go away or get worse? He was on Paxil which was not the AD for him and he got off cold turkey which was sheer hell for him.

He also just started taking synthroid for hypothyroidism.

Thanks for your help! Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2001, 11:55 AM   #2
    Blackdahlia

Blackdahlia HB User
    Re: Insomnia & Serzone

Well.....the drug information on Serzone will tell you that it makes you drowsy, however, I was on Serzone for some time (ranging from 200mg to 600mg) and I had chronic insomnia the whole time.

Your husband needs to report this to his doc. The doc may want to change meds OR, if the Serzone is working for the depression, may want to add something to the Serzone for sleep.

Good luck.

Old 04-18-2001, 12:50 PM   #3
    joy
    Inactive

joy HB User

I also had chronic insomnia on Serzone. I thought it was a lousy AD [for me]. Has your husband tried Prozac? You can take a small dose of a benzo at night if needed, but it works for many people. Paxil is tough to wean down from and has a lot of side effects. Just my humble opinion after trying Celexa, Paxil, Serzone, Zoloft and Proxaz.
    Joy

Old 04-18-2001, 09:23 PM   #4
    BEK

BEK HB User

My husband made an appointment with his pyschiatrist tonight to discuss the meds. Maybe he needs something else.

Thanks for your input!

Old 04-18-2001, 11:32 PM   #5
    JollyRoger
    (male)

JollyRoger HB User

Hi BEK..

Generally that's supposed to be most unusual and definitely something to talk over with Doc. I see here it has had that effect on some others here, but Serzone tends to be known for some of the very least side effects of any of them and some of the best effects on depression. Especially some really crucial things that happen with the SSRI group and Tricyclics, which comprise most of the remaining Antidepressants to choose from.

With possibly one of the best and newest out there already in hand, it might be worth checking out the other options as mentioned above. Of course they certainly do affect everyone a little differently.

Here is a link with some very good information about Serzone, if you'd like to learn some more about it. This is at the NAMI..
    <A HREF="http://www.nami.org/helpline/serzone.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nami.org/helpline/serzone.html</A>

Much Luck and Success to you and hubby.
    JollyRoger

Closed Thread