It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Xanax for sleep??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2001, 11:11 AM   #1
    SoLost

SoLost HB User
    Xanax for sleep??

I just have a quick question. I was perscribed Xanax awhile back the doc said it would help me sleep. I never took it. He never mentioned it was a very addictive drug. The doseage he gave was .15 at bedtime.

So the question is: Can I just take Xanax every now and then to get some sleep? Or is it one of those drugs that has to be in your system to work? I took some last night because I've been really having difficulties sleeping and I've been REAL CRABBY . I don't really have anxiety (at least I don't think so anyway). I slept like a hibernating bear (which I haven't done in years, literally) I did have a hard time getting up this morning.

Well, any insight would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2001, 12:50 PM   #2
    joy
    Inactive

joy HB User
    Re: Xanax for sleep??

Hi. Xanax can be taken only as needed and it will work within 30 minutes for most people [or sooner]. There is no dose as far as I know of .15mg. Xanax comes in tablets of .25mg, .5mg, 1mg, and 2mg. I take .5 mg at bedtime [about 30 minutes before] when I need to go to sleep. If you have an addictive personality [which you most likely don't because you have not even tried it], then it could be habit forming. I find it works better for me than Ambien for insomnia. You might want to re-check that dose again. I hope it works for you and I hope you sleep well.
    Joy

Old 02-07-2001, 09:12 PM   #3
    SoLost

SoLost HB User

OOps!! My perscription pills are .25mg but the perscribing info is take 3 at bed time. I took some last night cause I've been a few days without any meaninful sleep and I have become real evil to be around.

As for addictive personality, I had a real bad ephedrine addiction for two years and have only been off it for about a month. Not a serious drug but I was still using it a lot and ephedrine doesn't mix well with thyroid meds. Although, I am pretty use to not sleeping well and I prefer my drugs to get me "up" instead of putting me down. I don't know if that's relevant to the addiction factor of Xanax.
    <p>[This message has been edited by SoLost (edited 02-08-2001).]

Old 02-08-2001, 02:42 PM   #4
    kyle4267

kyle4267 HB User

That ephedrine is rat poisen and you must never ever use it again. I blame it for my pancreatitis. I was hooked on it for about 6 years. My job required to work 16 hour days so I took it to stay awake. But it was addictive and it ruined my life. As far as the xanax that dose is low and if you don't use it for long periods of time like months you will not have any trouble. Hang in there SoLost.

------------------
    as ever
    Kyle

Old 02-08-2001, 03:16 PM   #5
    SoLost

SoLost HB User

I know what you mean about the ephedrine, Kyle. I eased my addiction by telling myself it's legal so its not that bad. It came to the point where I had to take every day in large doses. I take thyroid medication so that makes it even worse! The only sad thing is, if I have to go back to work next week I will most likely go back on it so I can do my job. I can't get out of bed now and my job is very physically demanding. :0(

There are a lot of people on the weight loss board taking it and saying how wonderful it is. I don't think they know how bad it really is.

As for the Xanax, I think I will just go without sleep. Funny eh, I can't move, get out of bed cause I'm so tired but I'm awake! My mind is fully functional but my body is somewhere else. Last night I fell asleep off and on for 5hrs and I had been awake for 17 hours prior! I just don't get it. I don't really want another drug addiction if I can avoid it....it didn't help me sleep last night... :0(

Thanks for the advice.

Take care,
    Angie

Closed Thread