It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• anybody else thinking of going off Effexor Xr?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
    shantybaby
    (female)

shantybaby HB User
    anybody else thinking of going off Effexor Xr?

Hey people,
    so i stumbled across this site today, and was reading about coming off of effexor, and all the horrible things people have been through. I notice though that most of the threads are now closed, or very old, so thought i would start a new one.

here is a brief history of me.

I went on effexor xr 75 mg about 8 yrs ago after i had my oldest daughter. the dr thought it would be the best choice for me since i started having panic attacks, and general anxiety and i wouldnt even leave the house after i had my daughter (now 9) So i went on it.... the first couple weeks were horrible, dizziness nausea etc. but i thought this was just part of it. so finally after about 6 weeks it was in my system and was working! yay....

everything was going well, then i became pregnant with my second child. I thought that i shouldnt be on this med whilst pregnant so i decided to wean myself off of it. I actually weaned myself by the time i was 5 months pregnant with my second child, and it wasnt too bad doing it. i slept alot, and went very slowly. i was never on anything higher then 75 mg, so i just cut it down, then slowly went off the 37.5. anyways, long story short, after i had her i started with the extreme anxiety that i couldnt handle, so the dr put me on celexa.... well that was even worse! i could barely see on the stuff, so i said you know what, i cant handle this stuff, put me back on the effexor bc i know it works. worst choice i made, but at the time i guess it was what i needed? i still dont know to this day why i did it, but whatever, cant dwell on the past.

so now 6 years later, and 2 more children later ( i stayed on effexor at 37.5 mg with both of the pregnancys, which i feel HORRIBLE for doing) i am still on this stuff.
    recently i had some stress at work and went on LOA. so of course my dr says, oh you need to up your dose if you want to go off work, so i was like yea whatever, ill take the 75. it did help, but i just hate being dependant on this stuff!
    i miss a dose, and im dizzy and all tired and out of sorts! i hate it. i hate being on medication! i want to get off of it all, and just try and find who i am, and do this one my own.
    even though the effexor works for me... why do i feel this way?!

anyways, hope i can start back up another thread about this drug. yeah it works, but i dont want to be on this forever, i wish i knew what i was like off it is, i have had a slew of health problems since i went on this, and im not happy about that at all. i wonder if it is linked. i wonder what i would be like not on this stuff.
    anybody else feeling the same way!> ahhh, anyways, sorry for rambling!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
    flamesabers
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
    Re: anybody else thinking of going off Effexor Xr?

Hello shantybaby.

I took Effexor XR for a few months and have since discontinued. I started at 75mg and later would go up to 225mg. I had a number of side-effects while taking Effexor XR: sexual side-effects, excessive sweating, brain zaps, hand tremors and dry-mouth. Taking Wellbutrin helped with some of these side-effects, but eventually I decided I had enough, especially with the sweating and hand tremors. I realized my hand tremors really were becoming a problem when different people on different occasions on the same day were asking me why were my hand shaking.

Getting off of Effexor XR was a straight forward and easy process for me. I don't know exactly how much my personality has changed since getting off of Effexor XR but it is nice not to have to deal with those side-effects anymore.

Have you tried anymore medications to see if something else works for you without the troubles of Effexor XR? I've also tried Celexa and it didn't work out for me either. After finishing with Effexor XR I tried Zoloft which has helped me a lot and without the side-effects I had while on Effexor XR.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
    shantybaby
    (female)

shantybaby HB User

I havnt tried anything else other then the celexa.
    i was thinking about trying something else, but im wondering if i even have depression/anxiety anymore! or if im just stuck on this darn medication.

I see my dr next week, and i am thinking of asking him to try something else that isnt so hard to come off of. i have heard that wellbutrin is the same type of thing, and that people just started taking that right from the effexor.
    i just havnt made a decision if i am ready to really go off of it. i have four young children that i need to think of, and the bad experience i have had from just missing one dose makes me wary of wether i really want to try right now or not, sounds bad, but i just dont want to go through it and have the kids affected in any way.

you mentioned several things that happened to you while on it, i have the same side effects, especially the sexual part. i feel bad for my bf of 5 yrs because we barely have a sex life. i want to, but i just cant be in the mood any of the time, it really sucks
    :S

Old 02-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
    flamesabers
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

The Wellbutrin did help with my sexual side-effects and the medication itself didn't create any new side-effects for me which was a plus. When I increased my Effexor XR dosage I also had to increase my Wellbutrin dosage.

If you're going to keep taking the Effexor XR I suggest talking to your doctor about adding Wellbutrin to see if that helps with alleviating the sexual side-effects from Effexor XR.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
    jonnstar
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

The trick is to cut down slowly - get a script for the 37.5mg capsules, and go down stepwise, from 150mg to 112.5 to 75 to 37.5 over a few weeks.

Another good safety valve is having a few tablets of a benzo tranquilizer handy (Valium, Ativan, Klonopin, Xanax) - if you feel bad, a single tablet will rapidly control most of the symptoms.

Remember, slowly slowly catche monkey

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Closed Thread