It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

Am I sad or depressed?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
shopgirl2988
(female)

shopgirl2988 HB User
Am I sad or depressed?

I recently had my first panic attack. I have had a very happy life and have wonderful supportive parents that I tell everything and a fiance. This past year I've been dealing with a lot of stress with work and living with my fiance. I am responsible for everything and have no time for myself. I feel like I let myself go and want to focus more on doing things that make me happy. Ever since I had the panic attack, I've been feeling very sad and scared and experiencing thoughts and feelings I've never had before. I HATE the way I feel and pray every day it will go away. I can't decide if I'm just sad or depressed though. I do want to go out and do things and when I talk to others about what I'm going through and they encourage me I feel great! At times I almost feel back to my normal self. But then I'll think of one negative thought and I feel terrible again. I want to live a long, happy, healthy life with someone I love but am not sure what I'm going through. Does this sound like a bump in the road or severe depression? I'm also a MAJOR hypochondriac so that could be contributing to this...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
flamesabers
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Am I sad or depressed?

Hello shopgirl2988.

It's hard to say what exactly you're going through as nobody experiences depression in the exact same way as another. Have you been experiencing other possible depressive symptoms? For me depressive symptoms would be wanting to sleep most of the day, feeling apathetic about everything, and feeling like I'm a failure in life and there's no hope that my life will improve. Feeling sad and having negative thoughts may be a indicator of depression or it could be caused by something such as a pessimistic perspective and being under a lot of stress.

Even if you're not depressed, I think it would be worthwhile to talk to a therapist to learn ways to cope with your negative thoughts and other unpleasant emotions.

Closed Thread