It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

I need advice?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
Terri564
(female)

Terri564 HB User
I need advice?

I couldn't tell whether to put this in the depression or anxiety forms. Please forgive me if you feel it's more anxiety, I haven't used the website much. Sorry if this seems stupid...

It's my 16th on the 13th of June. As you know, friends and family tend to make a fuss over 'such an important time mark', but I really don't want that. I have depression and anxiety. And when everyone makes a big deal over me I get really anxious and hyperventilate. I can't escape this. When I'm at school it'll be my friends. When I'm at home it'll be my family. When I'm on the internet it'll be my ******** wall, which I'm thinking of blocking everyone from writing on for the day.

A good thing that could come from this is my mom finally realizing that I am depressed. I've told her 3 times in the past 4 years and each time was brushed off. Maybe if she sees how bad it's got she'll understand, because each told I've told her I get 'What do you have to be depressed about?'

At the same time, what if she doesn't see? And I end up upsetting her and my dad. It's making me cry and feel guilty just at the thought.

I don't care for birthdays. I'd rather spend the time upstairs, by myself, in my bedroom all day. But I don't want to offend my parents because, if I do, the guilt and shame will haunt me for years... I have difficulty letting things like that go. Any advice? I've run out of energy to just suck it up, smile and deal with it...

The following user gives a hug of support to Terri564:
Phoenix (03-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Phoenix
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: I need advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrirobyn View Post
I don't want to offend my parents because, if I do, the guilt and shame will haunt me for years... I have difficulty letting things like that go. Any advice? I've run out of energy to just suck it up, smile and deal with it...
Hello Terrirobyn,

How do you think your parents would react if you asked them to see a therapist.

Maybe i'm putting the cart before the horse here;how would you feel about seeing a therapist?

At your age,psychological as well as biological changes are occurring.

Just something to consider.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 03-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
JoeSwim
(male)

JoeSwim HB User

I was in the same position 20 years ago and did not take the right steps and went another five years feeling the same. I never got through to my parents either, you've given you mom plenty of chances to help...

The first think you need to do is PRINT your note that you posted to this message board. Then, first thing Monday morning, you need to approach a guidance counselor or favorite teach at school and simply hand them the print out. If you get scared at that point, it is okay to walk away. The good news is, even if you walk away, from that point on you will be on your way to getting coached through such a difficult time.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
flamesabers
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

Hello Terrirobyn.

I agree with Pheonix and Joeswim about trying to talk to a therapist or school counselor about what you've been feeling. As far as talking with your mom about your depression, you may have more success using a different approach. Instead of telling her you have depression, maybe you could say you have not been feeling like yourself or that you're not looking forward to your 16th birthday. Different people can have different ideas of what depression is and how it affects people. I think by using a different approach to express your troublesome feelings your mom may be more open to listen and acknowledge your feelings.

Closed Thread