It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Adderall for depression? Seeking advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2012, 03:02 AM   #1
    Haytees
    (male)

Haytees HB User
    Adderall for depression? Seeking advice

Well to start it off this is my first post on here.. And to be honest one of my first times going to any forum for advice on this kind of topic. So please bare with me.

Well i am 19 years old going on twenty in may. And for the past few years I've been trying to cope with depression, migraines and insomnia. I did however find a way to cope with most of my issues, But through an illegal drug. Marijuana. By no means was i physically addicted as i quit cold turkey over a month ago. But low and behold everything has hit me like a brick wall ever since.

I was also prescribed genereic Zoloft a few years ago to no avail. I felt like i was contaminating my self with chemicals for no reason. so after about 2 months i stopped taking it.

My head is constantly pounding and i thought that was due to bad eyesight maybe. Got a prescription pair of glasses for an astigmatism. Granted they do help with my vision i still have migraines. I also have the hardest time sleeping. No matter how tired i feel i can lay in bed for hours staring at the ceiling in hopes of falling asleep.

I brought these problems up with a friend that has had a similar issue as i do. And they told me they have been prescribed adderall for their depression. And that stumped me, I always thought that that was prescribed For ADD or ADHD.

Well we talked for hours which was really nice knowing someone had felt somewhat like i have. She also gave me a single pill(im not sure what size or anything like that) And wow was i amazed to say the least.

It was like a instant miracle cure. I dont even know how to begin explaining it. Like my vision seemed better which blew my mind. I took it at about 8-9 am And had motivation to want to do things i have been putting off (cleaning for example).

My mind wasn't in "the dumps" but i could only think about happy things, or things happening in the present instead of dwelling on depressing thoughts. I was active all day and when time came and i wanted to go to sleep...Bam knocked right out(which i thought was weird because i thought it was an "upper".

And lately I've been considering going to the doctor again, specially after that. But I'm afraid if i say i have taken one she had given me he/she will not prescribe me them.

So i guess my question is , Should i just come out and tell my doctor about it? should i tell them about my history with marijuana( mind you marijuana and Zoloft are the only drugs i have really ever taken). I'm scared that i will get denied and won't ever be in the right mindset to be happy again.

So any advice would really be appreciated

Look forward to reading your responses...
    Dillon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
    cocos421
    (female)

cocos421 HB User
    Re: Adderall for depression? Seeking advice

Hi, I take Ritalin for depression and it is a big help. I have a little more energy too. I brought up the idea with my pdoc and she said no way. Then months later, it was HER idea for me to try it. She said it helped a lot of her patients that had treatment resistant depression.
    If you bring it up, I wouldn't say you tried one. I would bring it forth that you have heard it helps with depression. I would not mention the marijuanna use. They don't like to give stimulants to people who have the tendency to abuse drugs or alcohol.
    Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
    Haytees
    (male)

Haytees HB User

Yeah, i was wondering if i should tell him about that too. That's the only thing i have ever "abused" besides drinking here and there(once a month maybe).

And i don't have an addictive personality at all, i dont smoke cigarettes or drink pop or anything caffeinated. But thank you for your advice its nice hearing from someone in a similar position

Much appreciated

Old 06-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
    ivy1122
    (female)

ivy1122 HB User

Hi, I take 30 mgs of adderall daily. I definitly know it helps with my depression!! It's common sense if you think about it, it's a stimulate so of course it would help a manic depressed person. I feel that doctor's should try a stimulate with an anti depressed medication more often.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
    24withpcos
    (female)

24withpcos HB User

I felt the same way after taking it but after a few days my depression got worse and i didnt have any energy at all after feeling that way for 2 days i stopped taking it i had felt worse than i did before. not say it wont work for you .

Old 06-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
    Rdbomb94
    (female)

Rdbomb94 HB UserRdbomb94 HB User

Hi~I was thinking about talking to my doctor about Adderall for my depression but he's worried on how it might affect my anxiety...Does anyone have any anxiety issues with their depression? Thanks Christina

Old 06-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
    ivy1122
    (female)

ivy1122 HB User

Hello Again, I have high Anxity issu'e as well, I take adderall, and I Do not have any anxity issue's with it. It really helps my depression, I can't tell you how much happier I am on Adderall. Hope I helped... Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivy1122 For This Useful Post:
    Rdbomb94 (06-21-2012)
    Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
    Rdbomb94
    (female)

Rdbomb94 HB UserRdbomb94 HB User

Hi ivy1122-
    I also have high anxiety and I'm Effexor er 300 mg and Topomax 300mg. But we stll need to make some adjustments. I was wondering if you didn't mind sharing what meds you take? or is the adderall it?
    Thanks Again~Christina

Old 06-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I think Ritalin or Adderall can help with depression. The idea is to start slowly on a low dose and go up a notch at a time to avoid getting too much. Too much will feel like coffee jitters, and can raise anxiety, heartbeat, and worsen insomnia. Also, don't take it too late in AM. There is a generic Ritalin (methylphenidate) that is sustained release for once or twice daily. Much more affordable and lower copays if you have insurance that favors generics. That's what I take and it has saved my life and my mind!

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    Rdbomb94 (06-22-2012)
    Old 07-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
    JBrynn
    (male)

JBrynn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rdbomb94 View Post
    Hi~I was thinking about talking to my doctor about Adderall for my depression but he's worried on how it might affect my anxiety...Does anyone have any anxiety issues with their depression? Thanks Christina
    Hi Christina. I have suffered from high anxiety plus panic attacks since I was a child. I have been taking Xanax for 10 plus years. I also take Valium on a daily basis. I was diagnosed with Depression a little over two and a half years ago. About a year later I was also diagnosed with a sleep disorder called Hypersomnia.

I've been taking 80 mg Adderall XR per day for about two and a half years. Some days it helps me focus and also helps to keep me awake. Other days it does nothing at all for me. My doc was also concerned about increased anxiety but I do not feel like it got any worse, even at this high of a dose.

Personally I feel that Adderall does more to help me (by keeping me awake) than the Lexapro/Abilify/Lamictal cocktail that I'm taking for the Depression.

Your results may vary. I do have this pesky sleep disorder which complicates things a bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to JBrynn For This Useful Post:
    Rdbomb94 (07-17-2012)
    Old 08-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
    Giraff59
    (female)

Giraff59 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Adderall for depression?

I was prescribed Adderall 20mg twice daily today to help with depression. I'd previously been on Lexapro and switched to Effexor. Those didn't seem to help.
    I cry at the drop of a hat and it snowballs from there (Lots of sad crap from last year, situational crap, health issues, etc..). Have only taken one dose, do we'll see how the next couple days go. I'd like to be able to think about some of these things without bawling like a baby!

Closed Thread