It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

Fired before Short term disbility paperwork was turn in

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
1GAPeach
(female)

1GAPeach HB User
Question Fired before Short term disbility paperwork was turn in

hi,
i need some advice to see if i can file discrimination. I had to see a podiatrist. He suggested that i go back to work on light duty status. I spoke to my general manager on 3/19 when he suggested that i file short term disability because there wasn't any light duty. I was given the paperwork to fill out by an office employee. I took the papers to my doctor which he said he would have them filled out by my next visit which was in 2 1/2 weeks. I didn't receive the paperwork from the dr. Until 4/5 which i faxed over to my employer. That same day i received in the mail a separation notice stating that i was fired for abandoning my job. My date of fire was 3/31. I immediately called my general manager and explained that i had just received the paperwork and faxed them over. He told me that "he would see what he could do". I went back to my doctor and spoke to him. The dr. released me so i could go back to work without any restrictions
although stating the importance of decreased walking at work for proper healing and avoiding recurrence. I was released to go back to work on 4/6. This was the following work day after speaking to my general manager. My dr. Faxed my release the same day that i had spoken to my manager. I tried for three days to contact my manager. They have strict security and would not permit me to come into the plant. He never called me back or let me know anything. Do i have any rights here? Even though i was fired prior to turning in the paperwork? There was another employee that this happened to as well i found out. Fired before the paperwork was turned in. In my situation, my manager suggested that i file on 3/19 then fired me for job abandonment on 3/31. Said that i did not contact or show up for work from 3/19 to 3/31??? I did get unemployment and was ready to fight if they disputed that but i have been advised by several people to check into it further. Can someone advise please? May would of been a year of working there, therefore, fmla didn't apply to me.

Last edited by 1GAPeach; 05-14-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
SOE
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: Fired before Short term disbility paperwork was turn in

Try the Health Insurance board -- maybe they can be of help to you.

Closed Thread

Tags
disabilities, discrimination, employment, short-term, termination