It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Numb/Flat/Empty/Dead/Dulled Emotions For 7 Months!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
    itstrevor
    (male)

itstrevor HB User
    Unhappy Numb/Flat/Empty/Dead/Dulled Emotions For 7 Months!

Hello, essentially due to stress I began to decline into this anhedonic/numb/flat/dulled/empty/dead emotionally state. I don't know what to do really, I am beginning to fear that it has become chronic. I really don't know what to do because I can't imagine living the rest of my life like this, I can't feel love or express love because of my apathy. I can't enjoy music, I don't get a release when I cry, I have NO libido. I can't feel any of my emotions. This is very disturbing to me, does anyone else have any experience with this? I've already been on wellbutrin xl for 2 months and it hasn't helped. Next step I think is they are going to try me on SNRIs or SSRIs which actually cause numbness, which is exactly what I'm trying to get rid of. I've heard that depression heals in 3-12 months, but I'm on 7-8 already and haven't felt any progress in this area, so I'm wondering if depression healing isn't gradual but more like spontaneous, like a flip being switched. I don't know and am pretty scared. This numbness began well before I started medications

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: itstrevor
    Catweazel (06-27-2012),Phoenix (06-18-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
    itstrevor
    (male)

itstrevor HB User
    Re: Numb/Flat/Empty/Dead/Dulled Emotions For 7 Months!

Come on, somebody post

Old 06-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
    gamble29
    (male)

gamble29 HB User

bud, i don't know. I fear this is something that will never go away. I've tried every Rx, ups and downs. bad times always return but I think we have to live for the anticipation of the good. Some of my good times are not feeling, but the highs and lows of the others we have to embrace that it is apart of us. I've tried to ignore it, fix it Rx, other activities, etc. it always returns. I think the key is to find a way to cope, but coping techniques might have to change with your depression. Other illnesses have to find new ways to fight it, I don't think ours is unique. Just my thoughts, but I am leaning towards embracing it, being aware of it, and trying to control it all together. otherwise, I think I'm f'ed

The following user gives a hug of support to gamble29:
    Phoenix (06-18-2012)
    Old 06-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
    Phoenix
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by itstrevor View Post
    I'm wondering if depression healing isn't gradual but more like spontaneous, like a flip being switched. I don't know and am pretty scared. This numbness began well before I started medications
    Hello itstrevor,

Therapy,whether it be medicinal or vocal,is a process.
    There will be times where you may feel like you're not making progress,when the opposite may be occurring.

We are the ones on the inside looking out.
    More often,a person can benefit from an individual on the outside looking in.

No,you can't simply switch on and off depression but the possibility of working through the barriers brought about by depression is attainable.

Have you ever tried safe place imagery?

Imagine yourself in an extremely comfortable setting and let your mind create your ideal environment.
    Pay attention to the serenity felt;as this is your personal space,where no one can enter,unless you allow it.

I can relate to the lack of desire towards tasks you may have enjoyed.

Keep on posting,if you're up to it and know that we're here if you need us.

Respectfully
    Phoenix

Old 06-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #5
    Catweazel
    (female)

Catweazel HB User

The numbness you are experiencing is perfectly normal in my opinion. It is the minds way of coping when you have been overdosed on a diet of continuous stress. It's a response mechanism, that's all. Many folk with depression experience this deadening of emotion but it doesn't last forever - even though it certainly feels like it when you are going through it.
    The meds you are on are on are obviously not tackling how you feel therefore you are unable to help heal yourself, so I suggest going back to your doctor and trying another one. Different meds work for different people. I am on SSRI's (cipalotram) and find that it does help to a degree, but the thing that most helped me was a combination of talk therapy and meds.
    You don't specify what kind of stressful event you went through, but it needs to be addressed as it has metaphorically buried your heart in a labyrinth where you haven't the faintest idea of how to find it. Some people react so severly to prolonged stress that they kill off all emotion that causes them grief, in order to cope. They don't realise that the assassin is inside their own skull (yourself). Talking it out with a good therapist (and be fussy who you decide to go with) will help enormously, but be prepared that you have to open up to them and be honest with yourself and them. The healer of you, is you... they are just the light in the darkness, that's all. Let a therapist help guide you out this period of hellish emotional flat-lining and address the issue of your medication with your doctor. You deserve your life back.

Last edited by Catweazel; 06-27-2012 at 01:10 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Closed Thread

Tags
    anhedonia, depression, dysthymia depression, emotion, numbness