It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

Antidepressants and sex

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
pdr
(male)

pdr HB User
Antidepressants and sex

Hello,
this is the situation: Ive had depression and anxiety for the last two years and i have tried both Cipralex and Welbutrin with no results what so ever.

Question:
1) I have no sexual desire what so ever, and its really frustrating. I guess this is because of my depression and anxiety. If I actually find a medicine that works, will that maybe increase my sex drive? Because I know that these meds have sexual side effects, but maybe it actually will be better for me because my mood may change to the better, and maybe ill stop feeling nervous all the time.

2) How many does actually get problems with their sex life because of these medicines? Its hard to get a real number by looking at forums, because everyone who writes there are the ones who actually get this side effect, and the others who dont do not reply to the forum. And is it like either you get the side effect or you dont? Or is it more like the severity, some feel it well, and others just a little?

3) Is there a chance that there exists a antipdepressant that actually will help me? I am kinda scared, because the two medicines I have tried had no effect what so ever.

Thanks for listening, guys

Last edited by pdr; 07-08-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Onclou9
(male)

Onclou9 HB UserOnclou9 HB User
Re: Antidepressants and sex

Hey sorry about your troubles....maybe try a different medication.

When I was depressed, I didn't feel like having sex at all either. I could get going and would enjoy sex but never had any drive without provocation on my wife's behalf or lots of foreplay. So what you are feeling is probably related to your depression. When you aren't depressed, do you have more drive? That should be your litmus test.

As for medications, everyone is different. I started with Celexa but it affected my sex life by introducing inorgasmia...had no problems with the badda but no bing. I switched to Paxil and it was GREAT except the weight gain. No sex problems at all.

I'm now (12 years later) 1 month into Prozac and I gotta say that while it seems to also have decreased my drive a LITTLE, the experience is actually enhanced. It feels better.

Hang in there and talk to your doctor about Paxil or Prozac and try those. Keep trying until you find a medication that doesn't introduce a ton of side effects or ruin your sex life. It's out there, just be patient and keep trying. Keep a daily journal of your feelings and that helps keep focus on what you are feeling for the doctor.

You'll get it, just don't give up.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
pdr
(male)

pdr HB User
Re: Antidepressants and sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onclou9 View Post
Hey sorry about your troubles....maybe try a different medication.

When I was depressed, I didn't feel like having sex at all either. I could get going and would enjoy sex but never had any drive without provocation on my wife's behalf or lots of foreplay. So what you are feeling is probably related to your depression. When you aren't depressed, do you have more drive? That should be your litmus test.

As for medications, everyone is different. I started with Celexa but it affected my sex life by introducing inorgasmia...had no problems with the badda but no bing. I switched to Paxil and it was GREAT except the weight gain. No sex problems at all.

I'm now (12 years later) 1 month into Prozac and I gotta say that while it seems to also have decreased my drive a LITTLE, the experience is actually enhanced. It feels better.

Hang in there and talk to your doctor about Paxil or Prozac and try those. Keep trying until you find a medication that doesn't introduce a ton of side effects or ruin your sex life. It's out there, just be patient and keep trying. Keep a daily journal of your feelings and that helps keep focus on what you are feeling for the doctor.

You'll get it, just don't give up.
thanks for nice replay I am pretty sure that the depression and anxiety cause the sex drive, i dont hope and dont think that it is a physical problem with my penis. I actually had a kinda-good period about 3 months ago, and i met this girl one night and i was very erect when he had sex, so i guess that supports that theory. Also I am only 22 years old !
allthough i met this new girl that i really like, but i had no sex drive what so ever, i wasnt able to achive erection before like an half hour when we were supposed to have sex, and still then i wasnt horny at all (partly because I have developed much anxiety for sex with women, exactly beacuse I am afraid I wont achieve erection. I know she gets tired of it, and its making me more anxious as well. I havent seen her in a month, i will see her again in about a month, and I feel this pressure to be able to achieve an erection, cause I dont wanna lose her.. im afraid ill get like really depressed and full of anxiety if that happens.

I will call the doctor tomorrow and hope he will prescribe me another medicine.

Closed Thread